Wifi Extenders!

Will01

My router is downstairs and i can connect to it with ease watching hd videos etc. I have fibre and in my room upstairs i have no/1bar signal. I have tried moving my router round, but no luck. For my old xbox 360 i still have an ethernet cable coming from downstairs to upstairs. Is there a device which can turn this ethernet cable into a thing to connect to as wifi so i can connect to this on my phone not the router on my phone. I see wifi extenders are pretty expensive for the ones that use your powerline so i figured if i already have an ethernet cable in the room i can just turn this into wifi! What device would i need to do this?

Thanks, Will!

i bought a wifi extender for 5€ 2 years ago, works perfect

the signal of my router barelly reached 5m+, now it's 20+

What you're after is an access point. I personally have a pair of these for my wireless network:

http://www.dlink.com.au/home-solutions/wireless-ac1200-dual-band-gigabit-range-extender

Other people will probably recommend gear from Ubiquiti and that stuff is also good. Really just find something that can be an access point that's within whatever budget you want to set yourself. It shouldn't be too hard because there's quite a few on the market. And when you set it up I'd recommend using the same SSID and password as your other access point. That way you should be able to move between the two reasonably easy.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

What you're after is an access point. I personally have a pair of these for my wireless network:

http://www.dlink.com.au/home-solutions/wireless-ac1200-dual-band-gigabit-range-extender

Other people will probably recommend gear from Ubiquiti and that stuff is also good. Really just find something that can be an access point that's within whatever budget you want to set yourself. It shouldn't be too hard because there's quite a few on the market. And when you set it up I'd recommend using the same SSID and password as your other access point. That way you should be able to move between the two reasonably easy.

Is there anything cheaper? Would the eBay thing I sent work?

Is there anything cheaper? Would the eBay thing I sent work?

It should work. Though I probably wouldn't touch something that was off-brand and N150.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing