Upgrade My Old 660 Ti

superv123
Go to solution Solved by superv123,

Should i wait after Christmas until its my birthday march 19 and hope something good comes out by then? I also hope by then i can round myself another 50-100 dollars >.<

Currently i am using a reference 660 ti and i want to upgrade this Christmas for a new graphics card.

I have been playing gta 5 a lot lately and i am tired of using high texture settings instead of very high because my vram usage is too high. i have a set amount of 200 dollars and i at least want 3gb of vram and a card that can perform better than my 660 ti.

R9 380 4gb

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

No new cards in this price range are worth the upgrade to IMO. $200 for a ~20% performance increase/slightly higher textures is kind of silly. I would save up a bit more and get a 390, the 660ti is still a decent card (not a whole lot worse than a 960). 

Maybe you could get a used R9 290?

RIP in pepperonis m8s

No new cards in this price range are worth the upgrade to IMO. $200 for a ~20% performance increase/slightly higher textures is kind of silly. I would save up a bit more and get a 390, the 660ti is still a decent card (not a whole lot worse than a 960). 

Maybe you could get a used R9 290?

I agree saving up for a 390 would be better, but a 380 is a much more powerful card and if he absolutely can't wait until he has a bigger budget, then it's worth it. 

Another 660 ti or two? 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Another 660 ti or two? 

They only sell used 660 ti's second hand. They don't sell them in stores. Around Christmas time, you can probably pick up an R9 290 around that price if you look thoroughly and at the correct places

Currently i am using a reference 660 ti and i want to upgrade this Christmas for a new graphics card.

I have been playing gta 5 a lot lately and i am tired of using high texture settings instead of very high because my vram usage is too high. i have a set amount of 200 dollars and i at least want 3gb of vram and a card that can perform better than my 660 ti.

I'm in a similar situation with my 760 (which is close in performance to the 660 ti). For me, I'm saving up some more money so I can buy a $400 graphics card and waiting for Pascal to be released. It's hard to wait I know, but I don't see the point in upgrading to anything less than a 390/970.

Maybe wait and save a little bit more and get R9 380x or R9 390.

GTX 660ti is about as powerfull as GTX 960 so upgrading to $200 GPU doesent make much sense.

Or go for used cards route and get R9 290.

They only sell used 660 ti's second hand. They don't sell them in stores. Around Christmas time, you can probably pick up an R9 290 around that price if you look thoroughly and at the correct places

But wouldnt 3 660 tis be better than one r9 290? My two 660s out perform a gtx 970. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

But wouldnt 3 660 tis be better than one r9 290? My two 660s out perform a gtx 970. 

That doesn't solve the OP's VRAM issue. And once you add a 3rd card performance doesn't scale that well.

That doesn't solve the OP's VRAM issue. And once you add a 3rd card performance doesn't scale that well.

Fair point. Just performance another 660ti would be best but I run out of vram as well. So fair point.

Isnt the usage of R9 380x or R9 390 means you need more better sofisticated cooling?

R9 380X coming soon - I'd wait for that.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Should i wait after Christmas until its my birthday march 19 and hope something good comes out by then? I also hope by then i can round myself another 50-100 dollars >.<