Laptop not seeing m.2 SSD

Starwind
Go to solution Solved by Starwind,

Motherboard doesn't support nVME capabilities so I couldn't boot from it regardless.  So I'll be returning it and I guess the secondary SSD I got will be the one I use.  I thank anyone and everyone that read through this!!

I just recently bought an Eluktro SSD at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010800PYM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

There were two slots available that had the notch either on the left side or the right side(Right side had this gooey strip I had to take out).  I unscrewed the screw and stuck it inside the notch where it would be facing up.  I screwed the screw back in and put the laptop back together.  I turn it on and load up Windows on the current drive and check the Disk Management to see if anything is there.  I just to see if there is anything added, and then I load the BIOS and the system doesn't see it under where the PCIe slots are shown.   The Laptop is an MSI GT72 Dominator.

http://www.pro-star.com/index.php?r=product/detail&model=GT72-Dominator-019⊂=spec#gotop

What can I troubleshoot?  Are the two just not compatible?  Or is the SSD bad?  I thank you for any assistance you may provide!!!

EDIT:  The chipset

http://ark.intel.com/products/90584/Intel-GL82HM170-PCH

~snip~

Hey there Starwind,

I'd look in BIOS to see if there's a setting to enable/disable the PCIe SSD. Is the drive recognized in Device Manager at all? You could also try the drive on the other slot and see if it works there. if you can, check the drive on another system to verify it it works at all and if the problem comes from it or from the laptop. 
Contacting the manufacturer of the laptop could also be a good idea. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there Starwind,

I'd look in BIOS to see if there's a setting to enable/disable the PCIe SSD. Is the drive recognized in Device Manager at all? You could also try the drive on the other slot and see if it works there. if you can, check the drive on another system to verify it it works at all and if the problem comes from it or from the laptop. 
Contacting the manufacturer of the laptop could also be a good idea. :)

Captain_WD.

There wasn't anything in the BIOS to turn on or off with the PCIe SSD.  The drive was not recognized in the device manager either.  Can I put it in the other slot if it's the notch will make it have to go in upside down?  I also added the Chipset which shows what I am to believe compatibility between the two.  I'll try giving MSI a call later and see.  Thank you!!

Called MSI support and they are rather vague with stuff and says there wasn't anything I missed on the BIOS, and that you can't use SATA at the same time.  So I"m assuming he meant the a PCIe and an SATA m.2 SSD.  I bought another SSD to try from Fry's that has the two notches in it.  I'll try the current one in the other slot by turning it over and then try the new SSD and see how that goes.  Will update shortly on this.

Can't find the spec page on MSI's site for your specific model. 

Found something on a another similar model that says exactly what MSI told you. either 1 M.2 PDCIe drive or two SATA drives in raid 0.

Would lead me to assume that you can't have a SATA and a PCIe M.2 at the same time.

Just google M.2 and check the wikipedia page for an explanation of what the notches are.

I posted the pro-star page because it had the spec sheet it's the GT72 Dominator -019.  And yes I know you can only have one.  I bought a second one to test to see if it was the machine.  And I just tried the SATA one and it didn't work by it's self.  And as for the notches, they both fit and I'll be adding pictures later.    As of right now the system does not see the PCIe when it's in the correct slot or the SATA SSD in it's spot.

http://imgur.com/a/ptUvT

So the first picture is how it's laid out.  I tried the slot on the right first that didn't work.

second picture, is the first stick.

third picture is the second stick I bought from fry's being being in.

Fourth is how they both look being inside.  They don't go all the way in.  I didn't test it with both it.  Just a single one.

fifth is the BIOS with both showing it as empty.

So I put it in properly at an angle.  The BIOS didn't see it, but Windows Disk Management did.  I'm formatting it now and will install Windows on here shortly now that it's enabled.  Is there a reason why the BIOS won't see it, but Windows would?

Motherboard doesn't support nVME capabilities so I couldn't boot from it regardless.  So I'll be returning it and I guess the secondary SSD I got will be the one I use.  I thank anyone and everyone that read through this!!

~snip~

Their support should have told you if the motherboard supports NVMe drives as bootable or not in the first place. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I guess the regular SSD should do the trick nevertheless. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/