3440x1440 vs 2560x1440

Hopsasa

One day single GPUS will be able to run that resolution at 144 Hz. And perhaps, single GPUS will be able to run 4K at that refresh rate as well. ;-;

I'm going to punch your face- IN THE FACE.

I was solidly in the camp of waiting for a 34" gsync, 100hz monitor and wasn't going to upgrade until it came out.     

Then the X34 because available and when I saw the $1300 price, I purchased the Dell u3415W for $650.. 

I have a 980TI card and it can drive GTA V and other games at around 55FPS with ultra settings, so the single card is about an ideal match for the 60hz monitor.  

If I had gone X34, would have spend another $650 on the monitor and to really get the use out of it, would have had to spend another $650 on a second 980TI.   Not worth it to me. 

Unless you're a serious gamer (in which case you should probably be going 2650x1440)  , I'd skip the X34 and wait till prices on monitors come down and GPU horsepower goes up.   That's my 2 cents.  

If money is no object, buy all means get an X34 and 2 980TI cards for probably an amazing experience.

If I had gone X34, would have spend another $650 on the monitor and to really get the use out of it, would have had to spend another $650 on a second 980TI.   Not worth it to me. 

Unless you're a serious gamer (in which case you should probably be going 2650x1440)  , I'd skip the X34 and wait till prices on monitors come down and GPU horsepower goes up.   That's my 2 cents.  

If money is no object, buy all means get an X34 and 2 980TI cards for probably an amazing experience.

"I can't make use of higher refresh rate if my GPU /CPU can't deliver FPS that high" worry is such a temporal one.

Even if you spend more money now to get that high FPS on current game, the story will be changing quite fast on next year; for the system requirement will increases again and now you are sitting at "only" 60 fps.

Then you will start worrying to buy a newer high-end GPU so that you are able to enjoy that high refresh rate.

And by then you are locked by FreeSync /GSync stuff. If by that time AMD cards performs better than Nvidia card, then you can't make use of your GSync monitor if you are decided to buy the highest performing card.

The $200 gSync premium certainly has me thinking about going with AMD the next time around.  Like you said, in a year the story will be much different and I'll re-eval both the monitor and GPU. 

I agree with one of my favorite you-tubers. If you're seriously gaming (which I'm not), the current sweet spot is 2X 980 TI and 2560x1440 

So I finally had some time to do the benchmarks.

I even made a diagram :P

unbenannt-1joucd.jpg

unbenannt-244u23.jpg

Differences

Avg. FPS: 33,25%

Min. FPS: 26.70%

Max. FPS: 22.77%

MY MAN RIGHT HERE TY!!!

Emm, i got a small Question. In YouTube there is 1440p right? And I understand, that must be the standart 2560x1440 res. So if i get the 3440x1440. monitor, would that cut the edges? What would it look like?

And I heard there are scaling issues on a Wider monitors. I just find it a little too expensive this one and im not sure about going for the 27" 2560x1440 monitor

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Emm, i got a small Question. In YouTube there is 1440p right? And I understand, that must be the standart 2560x1440 res. So if i get the 3440x1440. monitor, would that cut the edges? What would it look like?

And I heard there are scaling issues on a Wider monitors. I just find it a little too expensive this one and im not sure about going for the 27" 2560x1440 monitor

Uhhh 3440x1440 is larger than 2560x1440, it doesn't cut anything.

You'd get 2 vertical bar on the left and right if you're trying to watch anything 16:9

A movie should be in Ultrawide 21.5:9 format. So if watching movies is your aim, Ultrawide beats the 16:9 options.

Uhhh 3440x1440 is larger than 2560x1440, it doesn't cut anything.

You'd get 2 vertical bar on the left and right if you're trying to watch anything 16:9

A movie should be in Ultrawide 21.5:9 format. So if watching movies is your aim, Ultrawide beats the 16:9 options.

Ok so Streaming games to YouTube/Twitch using this monitor will be better than the 2560x1440?

If that's the case then this monitor is really mine...

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Ok so Streaming games to YouTube/Twitch using this monitor will be better than the 2560x1440?

If that's the case then this monitor is really mine...

"Better" in what sense?

The Acer X34 is a whopping $1,800 in Canada.  No thanks.  I could get a ROG Swift AND a new projector for that price.  I'm sure it's awesome, but holy shit that price!

"Better" in what sense?

Quality.

Quality.

Which quality are you looking at?

G2G respones time? Input lag? Color delta E? 

21:9 vs 16:9 doesn't tell you that; you have to look at in-depth review for the panels you are interested in for those numbers.

Go check at TFT central for those numbers.

There's no perfect monitor, some monitors just have better relevant worth to each person. So it's better to pick which part of the monitor you care about, and which one you can't forego with less quality.

Which quality are you looking at?

G2G respones time? Input lag? Color delta E? 

21:9 vs 16:9 doesn't tell you that; you have to look at in-depth review for the panels you are interested in for those numbers.

Go check at TFT central for those numbers.

There's no perfect monitor, some monitors just have better relevant worth to each person. So it's better to pick which part of the monitor you care about, and which one you can't forego with less quality.

Nah I just mean the video quality on YouTube (when uploaded), though I guess it's not gonna be that much different. YouTube will compress it.

I am ok with what the PG348Q offers, im just asking how it compares to the PG279Q when it comes to streaming in native resolution. I was just curious how will those extra pixels over the 2560 (to 3440) will be scaled, but I found out and it looks nice, I think that's the monitor for me. Ill see if I will be able to afford it, if not the PG279Q is still going to be ok for me...