[US Newegg] Sapphire R9 290 (reference-type cooler) $239.99

PlayStation 2

kek

that's 960 prices for ~970 power and quad 980 ti heat :^)

You'd be surprised to know a 980 Ti produces more heat :P

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

290+refrence= space heater

I think an R9 290 GPU is probably going to generate the same amount of heat regardless of the cooler that's on it.  A better cooler won't make it use less power and create less heat, it'll just remove it from the GPU more efficiently.  A reference cooler might blow out more of that heat [concentrated/directed by the blower-style fan] out of the vents on the back of the card, but if it was any other cooler, the same heat would still be ejected by other case fans or vents into the room. 

It's kinda cheap. If you have a kraken G10 with a spare AIO then it could be worth it.

Or if you plan to use it in a watercooling loop or something like that.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

The problem with the reference r9 290 is that you are literally going to have to spend more than $60 in extra resources to make the thing usable. Might as well get an r9 390

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe