MSI R9 390 Temps

Hemanse

So at stock speeds and stock fan curve my card hits around 76c at full load, bumped up the fan speed a little bit and currently running 1110 / 1525 with no added voltage, hits 80c at full load, as someone who is used to NVIDIA cards i pretty much just wanted to ask the more experienced AMD users if those are perfectly acceptable temps?  ;)

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

My Vaporx hits 76 regularly while overclocked, but at a silent 20% fan speed. So to me that seems high.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

My Vaporx hits 76 regularly while overclocked, but at a silent 20% fan speed. So to me that seems high.

76c at load with the fans at 20%? That seems rather crazy.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

What's your case and airflow situation? But actually yeah this card usually sits on 80s low to high actually.

-------

Current Rig

-------

76c at load with the fans at 20%? That seems rather crazy.

Dat Vaporx! That's with voltage applied. Running Valley.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

What's your case and airflow situation? But actually yeah this card usually sits on 80s low to high actually.

Its a CM Trooper with decent airflow, probably not the best, my 770 lightning card used to hit 78 at load, guess it might be time to look at a better case.

Its a CM Trooper with decent airflow, probably not the best, my 770 lightning card used to hit 78 at load, guess it might be time to look at a better case.

Temps are still very safe though the 390 can run at like 94c before throttling.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Temps are still very safe though the 390 can run at like 94c before throttling.

Okay, just read around a bit and most people seem to hover quite a bit lower at load, but i guess it could just be sub par airflow.

Not sure if maybe moving the card down a pci-e slot might help, it is pretty damn close to my NH-D14 in the top slot.

Okay, just read around a bit and most people seem to hover quite a bit lower at load, but i guess it could just be sub par airflow.

Not sure if maybe moving the card down a pci-e slot might help, it is pretty damn close to my NH-D14 in the top slot.

What are your ambient temps though? A lot of people that test this always do so on AC rooms or fairly low ambient temps and such. But yea you could play around with fans and positions and see temp changes airflow can be tricky.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What are your ambient temps though? A lot of people that test this always do so on AC rooms or fairly low ambient temps and such. But yea you could play around with fans and positions and see temp changes airflow can be tricky.

Ambient temps in my living room are around 24-25c, so not all that hot, but yeah, the problem with my case is that there is no real way to run fans in the front, right now its basically just 1 in the back and 2 in the top exhausting, not very good cold air intake.

Atleast my Firestrike score seems decent enough :) http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/9038387

Seems like it definitely is related to airflow, just taking the side panel of and running the test again and again, the fans are now keeping the card at 73c overclocked while only hitting 46% fan speed. Guess its time to finally get rid of this terrible Trooper case and get something with better airflow, seems like my noctua fans are just circulating hot air in this one :)

So at stock speeds and stock fan curve my card hits around 76c at full load, bumped up the fan speed a little bit and currently running 1110 / 1525 with no added voltage, hits 80c at full load, as someone who is used to NVIDIA cards i pretty much just wanted to ask the more experienced AMD users if those are perfectly acceptable temps?  ;)

80*C is slightly higher than reviewers get (MSI 390X got 72*C at OC3D but they had to re-do thermal paste since someone had taken the card apart before them and not repasted it) but it's also not really dangerous for Hawaii(Grenada) - those cards can run at 95*C and still be okay.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

80*C is slightly higher than reviewers get (MSI 390X got 72*C at OC3D but they had to re-do thermal paste since someone had taken the card apart before them and not repasted it) but it's also not really dangerous for Hawaii(Grenada) - those cards can run at 95*C and still be okay.

Pretty sure its just bad airflow in my case, when i take off the side the temperature only hits 73 overclocked at full load, gonna replace the case soon with something that has better airflow, the CM Trooper is just pretty crap overall when i have the hdd cages set up like i have, i cant pull air in from the front.

But yeah as you said 80 is hot, but until i change my case it should be just fine, if you look at jayz 390 vs 970 video his MSI 390 card also hits 80 under load overclocked.

Pretty sure its just bad airflow in my case, when i take off the side the temperature only hits 73 overclocked at full load, gonna replace the case soon with something that has better airflow, the CM Trooper is just pretty crap overall when i have the hdd cages set up like i have, i cant pull air in from the front.

But yeah as you said 80 is hot, but until i change my case it should be just fine, if you look at jayz 390 vs 970 video his MSI 390 card also hits 80 under load overclocked.

It's fine - 80*C is not going to damage the 390, it's built to withstand heat.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It's fine - 80*C is not going to damage the 390, it's built to withstand heat.

Okay yeah, but i do still like things running as cool as possible, i want to replace my case and psu anyway, now i have a good excuse, just gotta find a case with good airflow and interior setup now :)

Okay yeah, but i do still like things running as cool as possible, i want to replace my case and psu anyway, now i have a good excuse, just gotta find a case with good airflow and interior setup now :)

btw - apparently I was off and the XFX XTR are actually based on the SeaSonic X-series, not G-series - while those are higher quality, there were a few complaints about coil whine on them. It's nothing to worry about, if you don't mind it, no sense in wasting money :)

btw - apparently I was off and the XFX XTR are actually based on the SeaSonic X-series, not G-series - while those are higher quality, there were a few complaints about coil whine on them. It's nothing to worry about, if you don't mind it, no sense in wasting money :)

Yeah the XFX is based on SeaSonic and sadly mine does have a bit of coil whine, i might just keep the PSU for now and just replace the case, i can live with the PSU, but the case is such a pain in the ass to work with :) Might just wait a month, they usually also have some black friday deals here in Denmark, maybe i can find one at a nice price there.

Yeah the XFX is based on SeaSonic and sadly mine does have a bit of coil whine, i might just keep the PSU for now and just replace the case, i can live with the PSU, but the case is such a pain in the ass to work with :) Might just wait a month, they usually also have some black friday deals here in Denmark, maybe i can find one at a nice price there.

You've got a Tier 1 PSU - coil whine won't do shit to it :D

Fractal Design FTW

You've got a Tier 1 PSU - coil whine won't do shit to it :D

Fractal Design FTW

Im not much of a Fractal fan i gotta admit, i really like the Corsair Obsidian 450D or 750D

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/obsidian-series-750d-airflow-edition-full-tower-atx-case such sexy.