HAF X still viable?

KarateHottie93

I just recently ordered a HAF X; it was on the day before the Newegg sell on it started, unfortunately. I've had a few friends question my purchase though. I think that's crazy. It still looks perfectly fine to me feature wise. Plus it looks cool and has good build quality.

Why do people act as if it's a bad case to buy now just because it's over five years old? I get that for the price I could have gotten one of today's plain and boring black boxes a bit cheaper with some modular drive bays and dedicated SSD brackets. Can you really call the HAF X design outdated or a bad purchase though?

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

No rubber grommets

molex fans

nono for me

coolermasterhafx7-1280x1024.jpg

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I just recently ordered a HAF X; it was on the day before the Newegg sell on it started, unfortunately. I've had a few friends question my purchase though. I think that's crazy. It still looks perfectly fine to me feature wise. Plus it looks cool and has good build quality.

Why do people act as if it's a bad case to be now just because it's over five years old? I get that for the price I could have gotten one of today's plain and boring black boxes a bit cheaper with some modular drive bays and dedicated SSD brackets. Can you really call the HAF X design outdated or a bad purchase though?

It is abhorrently subpar when compared to the competition at the same price point. In literally every possible way... Unless you actually plan on using 4 5.25in bays?

On an absolute scale it's still a fine case, but it isn't close to being worth 160 dollars.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

No rubber grommets

molex fans

nono for me

coolermasterhafx7-1280x1024.jpg

It has them.Not many but enough.

It has them.Not many but enough.

Oh I see now.

Weird location

Still non PWM fans

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I wouldn't say its bad purchase. I'm still using my haf 932.  Case is all preference and if you like it then who cares..

Was never a fan of those edgy looking Cooler Master cases.

If you want a CM case, go for that Mastercase 5, which is one of the only cases I'd personally get from CM.

It is abhorrently subpar when compared to the competition at the same price point. In literally every possible way... Unless you actually plan on using 4 5.25in bays?

On an absolute scale it's still a fine case, but it isn't close to being worth 160 dollars.

I paid $200. I don't see why it isn't when it holds just as many components in the end as it's competition and the end result is pretty much the same. Personal preference though. The build quality, looks, size, and overall presence make it worth it to me.

I've had mine for two years, I like it. Sure I could have gotten something cheaper and spent my money on other parts but I wasn't the brightest tool in the crayon box when I first started to get into computers.

Just get a Phanteks Enthoo Pro, best budget full tower ever.

Not a budget shopper. I build PC's part time and have built a few in the Enthoo Pro. Just not a fan of it's looks tbh. Best value of any case by far though. Nothing comes close at all.

Yeah, although the window is huge, which is a big plus for me because you get to show off your rig. Speaking of that, I shou​ld update my sig since I no longer use the THOR V2.

Lol that's the only thing I dislike about my HAF X. Everything else makes up for the lack of GPU view though. I used to hate huge cases and when I sold my 750D and 760T rigs lately, I sair I'd never buy full towers again cause they are just too hard to move. Now I just want bigger but not 900D size. If I build myself a secondary rig again it's going in a 780T.

The HAF X is probably the best case for air cooling your GPU thanks to that 200mm side fan, but I couldn't deal with the dust that case would get. You can probably get newegg to credit you the difference in price between what you paid and the sale price if you bought it within the last 14 days. @boboman342 just got a $20 newegg credit when he bought an Enthoo Pro at $100 and it went on sale at newegg for $80 a couple of days later.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/470120-dead-us-newegg-phanteks-enthoo-pro-80/?p=6306327

I paid $200. I don't see why it isn't when it holds just as many components in the end as it's competition and the end result is pretty much the same. Personal preference though. The build quality, looks, size, and overall presence make it worth it to me.

1.Lack of fan filters,

2. Bad cooling compatibility when it comes to noise (mainly because fans are harder to get), and even then airflow is really sub par now a days, given that it can only run massively negative pressure, and has poor overall support for watercooling parts.)

3. LOL SIZE IS A POSITIVE FOR YOU? That thing wastes so much space I can't even begin to describe how bad that is.

4. Window is again subpar for today's cases even in the 80-100 dollar range let alone the 160-200 dollar range.

5. It comes with all rainbow crap colors cables... Like wtf if there is anything that instantly kills a build's look that is one of them.

6. Again really bad cable management capabilities in a FULL TOWER... Like why the fuck does anyone need a full tower and even then you are getting shit for your money.

But hey. If it works for you and you are happy with the build then fine, just don't expect anyone to magically change his/her opinion on a truly antiquated case because you wanted to feel more justified in your purchase.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1.Lack of fan filters,

2. Bad cooling compatibility when it comes to noise (mainly because fans are harder to get), and even then airflow is really sub par now a days, given that it can only run massively negative pressure, and has poor overall support for watercooling parts.)

3. LOL SIZE IS A POSITIVE FOR YOU? That thing wastes so much space I can't even begin to describe how bad that is.

4. Window is again subpar for today's cases even in the 80-100 dollar range let alone the 160-200 dollar range.

5. It comes with all rainbow crap colors cables... Like wtf if there is anything that instantly kills a build's look that is one of them.

6. Again really bad cable management capabilities in a FULL TOWER... Like why the fuck does anyone need a full tower and even then you are getting shit for your money.

But hey. If it works for you and you are happy with the build then fine, just don't expect us to magically change our opinion on a truly antiquated case because you wanted to feel more justified in your purchase.

I SLI/CF every build I get just for looks.I don't need people to "justify" my purchase. The fact that it's $200 when not on sale in 2015 and is still a top 10 selling full tower on Newegg, and gets 5 star reviews at that price does it for me. I was just asking honest opinions.

It actually does have dust filters. The air flow is not even close to bad but tell yourself whatever.The cable managment is just fine and it has a better system to hide the basement than almost any other case. The window isn't great but idc, it's good enough. Yes, I like big cases. Also the cooling is VERY quiet compared to other open cases like it. It has a slow running 230mm front fan that pushes air like nothing else. Where do you pull your biased and unresearched information from?

To be honest, full towers only work if you're using a huge graphics card like the 980 Ti or if you want huge headroom.

Lol I use HOF and Tri-X cards only so I got that covered.

The only thing downside about the Enthoo Pro is that you need to use a SATA cable from the PSU for the PWM hub which is minor.

Eh, I just use the mobo and bios for all that anyways :)

I SLI/CF every build I get just for looks.I don't need people to "justify" my purchase. The fact that it's $200 when not on sale in 20015 and is still a top 10 selling full tower on Newegg, and gets 5 star reviews at that price does it for me. I was just asking honest opinions.

It actually does have dust filters. The air flow is not even close to bad but tell yourself whatever.The cable managment is just fine and it has a better system to hide the basement than almost any other case. The window isn't great but idk, it's good enough. Yes, I like big cases. Also the cooling is VERY quiet compared to other open cases like it. It has a slow running 230mm front fan that pushes air like nothing else. Why do you pull your biased and unresearched information from?

Fan filters with that thick (hole radius) of mesh is not a fan filter at all. Hence why NO ONE uses fan filters that airy anymore. Literally, the Haf-X is one of the most complained about dust magnets cases in the last 5 years. And if you try to put real filters on the Haf X, the included fans bog down like crazy. Or worse you put in standard fans or an AIO and the case just reverberates with the vibrations awfully (not to mention is has absolutely no support for 280 rads whatsoever).

Cable management is terrible in comparisons to the modern standards achieved even by low cost midtower's in today's market.

And the bottom "basement" is an exceedingly cheap ugly shroud that can't even cover the full psu. I literally just threw it away for a relatives build because it somehow manages to look even worse than a nice modular psu does these days. Painted cardboard looks better. Hell when 60 dollar cases like the S340 are coming with full basement covers, the HAF X implementation is a complete joke. (But again I find psu basements outside of full custom WC builds to be nothing more than an excuse for poor cable management.)

The window might be the least attractive window I have ever seen, because it literally shows you just your hard drives... ERMG so sexy. Or Linus's fancy stock cooler.

Every single one of my comments is a completely critique of a very poor case. I've used the case. It sucks, it can't meet any of my requirements, and it isn't necessary. I wouldn't buy it for myself if it was 1/3rd the price, but I obviously didn't buy it for myself. If it makes you happy GREAT, but it objectively speaking is a poor case in today's market at an absolutely awful price.

BTW that single 230mm fan is fairly quiet,  (at least until you put a filter on it) but it's paltry 140 CFM is barely better 2 low noise 120mm fans, and is utterly obliterated by cases allowing for 3x 140mm intakes.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Almost every complaint you have is a serious overstatement. I buy sexy boards and long GPU's so I can see the ends of my cards, my mobo heatsinks, and CPU cooler tubes. I love the case. I also appreciate the positives of large dust filters. It may attract more dust but they are much easier to clean so you have to look at both sides of the coins. I love the shroud. It looks great to me and doesn't cover the whole PSU branding. The case has character and stands out too...just different opinions though.