New GPU for my nForce 780i

Mazz132

Hey guys, 

Now that my laptop is growing in age I need to wipe the dust off my old desktop in order to play modern games... Only problem is that its about 7 years old and in a desperate need for some upgrades.  I'm wondering what GPU would be my best bet to getting the best performance without creating a bottleneck on my old hardware. Unfortunately I don't really know how to come up with this answer on my own.

Current specs:

MOBO: nForce 780i (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188024)
CPU: intel q6700
GPU: Geforce 9800 GTX 
RAM: 8GB (4x2gb 800mhz)
PSU: corsair tx 750w

DISPLAY: 24" 1920x1200

Ive been thinking about a GTX 780 or maybe a 980 if i hit the lottery any time soon, but would this be too much power for my old setup?

This PC still run incredible, im using it right now and wow I need a SSD.. However the mobo only supports SATA2 so im not sure if its a great idea to purchase a SSD.

What do you guys think?  Im open to any suggestions, thanks for the read and I look forward to soaking up your knowledge!

well, to keep with the theme you could get the 780ti :P

EDIT: because your motherboard is the 780i... never mind it was stupid i know

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Budget?

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Any modern high end GPU would might be bottleneck by the Q6700. I think a GTX 960 / GTX 950 might be as high as you want to go on that CPU.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

budget is kinda sorta flexible, i just spent about $300 on a monitor (http://www.amazon.com/PA248Q-1920x1200-DisplayPort-Ergonomic-Back-lit/dp/B008DWH00K) so id really like to spend under $400, ill most likely make a purchase on cyber monday in the hopes of getting a good deal. I have all nvidia/intel hardware so it would be a little backwards to get an AMD card.

Forget about budget for now, LETS PUMP OUT THE FPS.

kinda considering this bad boy right here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121928&cm_re=gtx_960-_-14-121-928-_-Product

thoughts?

could i get more performance by spending a little more? Also, how did you arrive at the conclusion that my intel q6700 would be a bottleneck. Ive always been under the assumption that cpu plays a very small role in gaming.

Thanks again!