Need help choosing a 1440p monitor for gaming

Hakiroto

Hi, everyone,

In a couple of weeks I'll be building a gaming-only PC (i7-6700K, Strix 980 Ti, Z170 Pro Gaming...) and I'm happy with all the parts chosen but I'm really struggling deciding on a monitor. I've not been a PC gamer for many years so the whole TN vs. IPS, 60Hz vs. 144Hz thing is new to me.

I've done some research and I know what these things are but I'm not sure which model to go for. I'm spending a lot on the PC so I don't want to go absolutely crazy on a monitor but I also don't want to buy something that's going to make me lose out on such a powerful system. Is that possible?

Anyway, what I do know is that I'm looking to have a 27+" 1440p monitor. The other things, however, I'm not sure on.

• 60Hz or 144Hz?
  • TN or IPS
  • G-Sync or no G-Sync?

Which of the above are the most important? I believe 144Hz and IPS are more important than the nice to have G-Sync but it'd be good if someone with more knowledge than me can clear that up. Some of the monitors I've seen mentioned a lot are:

Is it possible to go for a 1440p, IPS, 144Hz monitor but live without G-Sync and not lose out too much? If so, are there any models you recommend? I was ideally planning on spending up to 600€ so the price of these things was pretty surprising. The thing I hear over and over is that with a high-end build you should always get 144Hz and, if possible, make sure it's an IPS screen with low response time (in this case, the 669€ ROG mentioned above seems to meet all of that).

I've pretty much covered my questions there. I'd really appreciate some help and advice on this as I've no idea what to choose and this is the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on the other parts.

Thank you all so much in advance!

Hi, everyone,

In a couple of weeks I'll be building a gaming-only PC (i7-6700K, Strix 980 Ti, Z170 Pro Gaming...) and I'm happy with all the parts chosen but I'm really struggling deciding on a monitor. I've not been a PC gamer for many years so the whole TN vs. IPS, 60Hz vs. 144Hz thing is new to me.

I've done some research and I know what these things are but I'm not sure which model to go for. I'm spending a lot on the PC so I don't want to go absolutely crazy on a monitor but I also don't want to buy something that's going to make me lose out on such a powerful system. Is that possible?

Anyway, what I do know is that I'm looking to have a 27+" 1440p monitor. The other things, however, I'm not sure on.

• 60Hz or 144Hz?
  • TN or IPS
  • G-Sync or no G-Sync?

Which of the above are the most important? I believe 144Hz and IPS are more important than the nice to have G-Sync but it'd be good if someone with more knowledge than me can clear that up. Some of the monitors I've seen mentioned a lot are:

Is it possible to go for a 1440p, IPS, 144Hz monitor but live without G-Sync and not lose out too much? If so, are there any models you recommend? I was ideally planning on spending up to 600€ so the price of these things was pretty surprising. The thing I hear over and over is that with a high-end build you should always get 144Hz and, if possible, make sure it's an IPS screen with low response time (in this case, the 669€ ROG mentioned above seems to meet all of that).

I've pretty much covered my questions there. I'd really appreciate some help and advice on this as I've no idea what to choose and this is the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on the other parts.

Thank you all so much in advance!

The ASUS MG279Q is your 144Hz IPS non-G-SYNC option, if you want to check the price of that in your area. If you don't go for the PG279Q then that would be my second choice, just up to you to decide whether G-SYNC is worth the price difference.

In the choice of TN vs IPS I would go IPS all days of the week. IPS will more accurately reproduce the actual colour, TN looks very dull in comparison.

Go with G-sync too if you can, it will eliminate screentearing and minimize eventual stutter.

Out of those choices you have posted I would go with the Acer 27" Predator XB270HU.

If you can afford it I would go one step higher and buy the Acer 34" Predator X34, it's sick.. Best gaming monitor on the market right now.

34" curved IPS, 21:9 3440x1440 with 100hz, 4ms and G-sync V.2. I've just recently ordered it myself.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, the X34 looks awesome but it's out of budget for this build. The XB270HU is also stretching the monitor budget and I've heard very mixed things about its quality. Anyway, I just really can't decide. The PC I'm building will be pretty high-end (i7-6700K, 980 Ti, Hero VIII, H110i GTX, R5) so I want a good monitor but I really don't know if I want G-SYNC. It's so much more expensive and as I've been out of PC gaming for so long it's hard to justify. What I do know, though, is that I want an IPS panel and it should be 1440p (or 4K?). 144Hz sounds good but what would that be like without G-SYNC with the system I'm building?

Anyway, all advice is very welcome.

Thanks again!