Need help with choosing headphones

FeltyKat

Hey guys the sound card i use is a asus rog phoebus

i need help choosing two new headphones

one which is closed

second one which is open

You need to give us more detail. Like what type of sound signatures you prefer, do you have any preferable brand, and formfactor, if weight is a big dead. And to take into consideration, do you have large ears...

If you have any feature is important for you, for example a modular cable, or a very soft cushion...

What type of music you listen to, EQ you usually prefer will also help

Please include as much information as possible. (As long as it's not a novel)

Edit: (forgot to ask) is there a reason you chose the Xonar Phoebus over the STX or a creative ZxR?

i have large ear

i lisent to bass heavy songs

i usually game more thats why i chose phoebus over stx

i have large ear

i lisent to bass heavy songs

i usually game more thats why i chose phoebus over stx

Unless you need surround or ANC, the sound blaster ZxR would be a better solution, the STX has a lag of usually over 5ms but the ZxR is rated for 1ms...

But as you already have a pretty good card.

Also, I'm not a bass freak, meaning I usually turn the bass a bit lower in EQ for my personal flavor. So I do not enjoy bass heavy headphones... Because only tried about 3 pares of base heavy headphone and didn't personally like any of them.. My headphones recommendations may not be the best solution for you..

I'll give you some tips I've learned over the years.

1) as long as you can, try them before buying.

I don't know how much of an audiophile are you, it seems like your entry to high end sound (am I right?) some people cannot enjoy the difference between a $50 headphones and $250 headphone, basically what I'm saying is, because I don't know your ears. I can't tell what is the sweet spot for you. And I really don't want you to spend more money incase you cannot notice the difference.

2) make sure they fit your ear size and head shape

I have the audio technica ATH M50 headphones. They have a very good sound quality for the price. And they are close to flat.. Very nice sound, pleasing for the ear. And in the reviews no one mentioned that if you have a large ear (like my ears) they will not be comfortable, and it may be more important than you think. Trust me, even the best sound quality will not be worth it when they headphones are not comfortable...

3) read reviews, lots of them. Both professional reviews and user reviews... Especially if the person is known for having a sound flavor like you, and head/ear size/shape close to you.

4) NEVER BUY HEADPHONES BASED ONLY ON SPECS... Never...

I may add more tips, right now I'm on my tablet... We will see...

Edit: spelling mistake corrected.

You really need to give us a budget, we can advise you 20$ headphones and 30000$ headphones.

Is the closed one supposed to be used mobile or are both for home use? 

No budget?

I hear the Sennheiser Orpheus are good. 

Might want to give them a try...

That and the Stax 009.

On a more serious note, we really need to have a budget.

What's reasonable for some people to pay on audio products might be completely illogical for others.

Would you spend $300 as a combined total? $500?

Can you go up to $1k?

With a Xonar Phoebus, I personally wouldn't recommend going above $500 as a combined total.

If you truly are a rich mofo with no budget but don't know a lick about audio equipment, grab a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro for open headphones, and a Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro for closed headphones. Easy choices you can be assured will be good and last forever.