CPU & GPU overheating issue

stein

This the situation I having, recently my system crashed due the CPU (5960X) overheating. I found this very odd considering it always runs in the 60 degree range under heavy load. I noticed as well that the GPU (980 ti) was running much hotter than usual. I can turn the system on fine and run programs but the idle temps are a lot higher than normal the GPU is idling about 59 degrees and the CPU is idling about 65-70 degrees.

It’s not an airflow problem my case (a 750D) has good airflow. I have reset the bios to default settings and updated it as well. I also removed my boot drive and tried another boot drive form another system with the same result.

I have also removed my 980Ti and installed and tested a 680 that was idling about 40 degrees in another system and was idling at 59 degrees in the 750D.

I’m just looking for ideals on what I could try next. And thoughts as to what could be causing this?

if anymore info is needed please let me know.

thanks

• CPU Intel 5960X
  • Motherboard Asus Rampage V Extreme
  • RAM 16gb Corsair Dominators
  • GPU GTX 980Ti
  • Case Corsair 750D
  • Storage Intel 750 seriers SSD, segate 1tb,2tb,6tb
  • PSU Corsair AX1200i
  • Cooling Corsair H110
  • Operating System Win 10 64bit

If this is a reference GTX 980 TI you're gonna need nice and cool air to through it because of it blower style, with hot air going into the card it's gonna be very hot like you're saying. :3

You have an airflow problem how are the fans orientated?

I have two 140's in the front pulling air in. one 140 in the rear exhausting air. And two 140's in the top exhausting air. I realize my with this setup my case does not have positive pressure but I did not see it as a problem.

Also I wanted to note I do not think the air flow is the issue based on that for the few weeks I have had my new setup it has been performing fine, it was only until real recent that the heat issue came up.

If this is a reference GTX 980 TI you're gonna need nice and cool air to through it because of it blower style, with hot air going into the card it's gonna be very hot like you're saying. :3

This is an ASUS 980 Ti strix, so I don’t think that’s it. The card was running fine at much lower temps the first weeks that I had it. It was not until just recently that it started showing signs of heating up.

This is an ASUS 980 Ti strix, so I don’t think that’s it. The card was running fine at much lower temps the first weeks that I had it. It was not until just recently that it started showing signs of heating up.

Ahh I see, that's very strange normally things don't just start heating up to the point where your PC crashes. Could it be that your all in one is blowing hot air into the case and not exhausting it? That is the only thing that I could think that would do something like that.

Ahh I see, that's very strange normally things don't just start heating up to the point where your PC crashes. Could it be that your all in one is blowing hot air into the case and not exhausting it? That is the only thing that I could think that would do something like that.

i don't believe that to be the case, besides if the all in one was pulling air into the case at least the CPU temps should be lower sense its pulling cool air directly through the all in one. but that's not the case. thanks for the responses.

• 4 weeks later...

i fixed my GPU, reading through some forums i found a few ideas, i changed settings in the nvidia control panel and my GPU temps are now 38C average. still working on the cpu.