Buying a new dslr camera for photography

Go to solution Solved by kennon3715,

I currently have a canon eos rebel t5 with efs-is 18-55mm lens. If your using it for photography.. it is absolutely great. Look it up on amazon, they have some very nice kits well inside your price point.

I am looking to buy a new dslr camera primarily for photography with a minimum resolution of 16mp, but also with some video capability preferably 720p, 24fps and up.

The budget is price is any price less than 700$ including the price of the lens (kit lens is fine too).

I was thinking about this camera, any thoughts?

Link to Amazon.com

Other Suggestions?

I am looking to buy a new dslr camera primarily for photography with a minimum resolution of 16mp, but also with some video capability preferably 720p, 24fps and up.

The budget is price is any price less than 700$ including the price of the lens (kit lens is fine too).

I was thinking about this camera, any thoughts?

Link to Amazon.com

Other Suggestions?

Any reason why you would need something with at least 16Mp?  Megapixels don't mean anything unless you have good lens, and anything above 8Mp is pretty high.  What is your use case?  What kind of photography, and lens do you plan to specialize in, and purchase?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I currently have a canon eos rebel t5 with efs-is 18-55mm lens. If your using it for photography.. it is absolutely great. Look it up on amazon, they have some very nice kits well inside your price point.

Athlon X4 860K, Sapphire Radeon R7 260X, Corsair Vengeance 8GB, Gigabyte GA F2A68HM-H, WD Blue 1Tb, EVGA 500w, Corsair Air 240

The t5i is pretty solid. They also work well for 1080p video if you're so inclined, especially with a 3rd party OS like Magic Lantern.

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

Canon T5i, Nikon D5300, or Sony A6000 are all good cameras.  I'd just do a bit of research and see which one you might like more.  The Sony is technically not a DSLR, but it's still a good option and a lot smaller.

I've got a Nikon D5200. The low light performance especially is better on the nikons than canon lately (until at least the t5(i), I don't know much about the t6). I've been very happy with mine, and I came from canon.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

Amazon currently has some new Nikon D7000s for just over $500 body only (can also be coupled with the 18-55mm kit lens for slightly more). Combine that with the Nikkor 35mm prime lens and you'll be off to a strong start for around $700. I would say going with a slightly older, higher end, camera would be better as you won't outgrow it as quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D7000-DSLR-Body-Only/dp/B0042X9LC4/ref=sr_1_4?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1445614868&sr=1-4&keywords=nikon+d7000

I've been shooting a D7000 since 2011 and can vouch for it's quality.

Any reason why you would need something with at least 16Mp? Megapixels don't mean anything unless you have good lens, and anything above 8Mp is pretty high. What is your use case? What kind of photography, and lens do you plan to specialize in, and purchase?

I'm thinking about getting the canon rebel t5i refurbished then use the remaining money for a better lens or for accessories.

Although my main use for a camera right now is photography, like I said before Id like it to have some decent video as well.

t5i if you absolutely need the articulating screen - but if you don't, you might consider the canon SL1 - it has the same sensor and image processor, just lacks a little in the feature department. You can get them for fairly cheap in a body only configuration and pick up a decent piece of glass on the side to fill your budget. Keep an eye on the canon refurbished store and sign up for email alerts. You can also hit up www.bhphoto.com a lot better than amazon - no tax unless you're from New York (you're not) amazon may have tax on there. BH also offers reward % back on purchase, bonus items, and typically free expedited shipping on a lot of their products now.

If it were me with a 700 budget though, as mentioned previously I'd go with a sony A6000 kit. Incredible camera system with a top notch sensor (same as in the Nikon D5300 if I remember correctly) as well as the best autofocus system on a crop camera. The screen is slightly articulated, and glass is good and not super expensive. Only major drawback is that your battery life will drain fairly quick. Worth noting.

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

t5i if you absolutely need the articulating screen - but if you don't, you might consider the canon SL1 - it has the same sensor and image processor, just lacks a little in the feature department. You can get them for fairly cheap in a body only configuration and pick up a decent piece of glass on the side to fill your budget. Keep an eye on the canon refurbished store and sign up for email alerts. You can also hit up www.bhphoto.com a lot better than amazon - no tax unless you're from New York (you're not) amazon may have tax on there. BH also offers reward % back on purchase, bonus items, and typically free expedited shipping on a lot of their products now.

If it were me with a 700 budget though, as mentioned previously I'd go with a sony A6000 kit. Incredible camera system with a top notch sensor (same as in the Nikon D5300 if I remember correctly) as well as the best autofocus system on a crop camera. The screen is slightly articulated, and glass is good and not super expensive. Only major drawback is that your battery life will drain fairly quick. Worth noting.

The Nikon d5200/d5300 also has an articulating screen and the image quality of the nikon, particularly in low light, is better than the canon.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

• 2 weeks later...

Nikon is not better than canon. It is just different fwiw. I shot both and still shoot canon and now Sony (Nikon uses Sony sensors). Both are capable. Both produce quality images with proper technique and glass.

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

Nikon is only better at low light when you get the the FF bodies. Anyways I guess you should stick with your plan and get a refurb T5i, keep money and buy a good tripod/monopod, better lens and filters.

• 1 month later...

I've decided on the Canon rebel t6i (750d) for about 750$. So far I am very satisfied with it!