Graphics Card Upgrade?

I have some budget for an upgrade for my PC but I'm unsure what to upgrade for better performance in games like battlefield 4, GTA 5, mainly multi-core games.

I want to upgrade either my graphics card or CPU but I'm not sure what would make more of a difference. I was thinking of an I5 4690k for the CPU or a gtx 960 for graphics card.

Here's my system now:

Graphics card: Sapphire r9 270x

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 (oc 4.2ghz)

Heatsink: Coolermaster 212

RAM: Corsair 8gb lp

MOBO: Gigabyte B85m-D3H (updated BIOS for OC)

So new graphics card or CPU? 

Thanks!

Why in world will you ever buy a 960 when you have a r9 290x? The r9 290x is pricer and a better performer.

You really need a new CPU, get a i5 4460 so you don't have to buy a new board.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I have some budget for an upgrade for my PC but I'm unsure what to upgrade for better performance in games like battlefield 4, GTA 5, mainly multi-core games.

I want to upgrade either my graphics card or CPU but I'm not sure what would make more of a difference. I was thinking of an I5 4690k for the CPU or a gtx 960 for graphics card.

Here's my system now:

Graphics card: Sapphire r9 290x

Thanks!

first of all, the GPU you have is WAY better than a 960, so you would be downgrading. second of all, depending on what games you play, the G3258 is probably holding your GPU back by quite a bit. definitely upgrade the CPU.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Here's my system now:

Thanks!

GTX 960 is a major downgrade and that CPU is a bottleneck and holds back the true performance of that GPU

Get a i5 4460 and done

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Why in world will you ever buy a 960 when you have a r9 290x? The r9 290x is pricer and a better performer.

You really need a new CPU, get a i5 4460 so you don't have to buy a new board.

he wouldn't have to buy a new motherboard, he can use a 4690k just fine, he just won't be able to overclock it.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

he wouldn't have to buy a new motherboard, he can use a 4690k just fine, he just won't be able to overclock it.

But it won't be sensible not to upgrade the motherboard with a unlocked processor though.

Pascal laptops guide

Here's my system now:

Thanaks!

save the money of gtx 960 and go for the i7 4790k.

But it won't be sensible not to upgrade the motherboard with a unlocked processor though.

why not? the 4690k offers a higher clock speed, and down the road when he has more money, he can buy an z97 motherboard if he wants to overclock. most people with the 4690k don't overclock it anyway. (overall, not just users of the forum)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

GTX 960 is a major downgrade and that CPU is a bottleneck and holds back the true performance of that GPU

Get a i5 4460 and done

SORRY EVERYONE MEANT R9 270X

I have updated the BIOS so that I can overclock? It works just fine with the pentium chip should it not be the same for the i5?

I have updated the BIOS so that I can overclock? It works just fine with the pentium chip should it not be the same for the i5?

no. only Z97 can overclock the i5 and i7 chips. the Pentium G3258 was the only one that could on lower end boards.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

i5 and 380 or 390 if you can

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

no. only Z97 can overclock the i5 and i7 chips. the Pentium G3258 was the only one that could on lower end boards.

So I upgrade the CPU first before the 270x?

Probably not and even if you can it, it isn't safe with that mobo

Setup

I would considering pentiums are bottom barrel.

I would get a i5 4460

Setup

Wouldn't be that much of an upgrade from 270X to 960. Rather, go for an R9 390 if you really want a sizable upgrade.

I used to be quite active here.

why not? the 4690k offers a higher clock speed, and down the road when he has more money, he can buy an z97 motherboard if he wants to overclock. most people with the 4690k don't overclock it anyway. (overall, not just users of the forum)

It's better to go for a Z97 board when buying a i5 4690K in the first place even when not overclocking to avoid the hassle of buying a new board when you decided to overclock. Also a i5 4690 exists.

Pascal laptops guide

It's better to go for a Z97 board when buying a i5 4690K in the first place even when not overclocking to avoid the hassle of buying a new board when you decided to overclock. Also a i5 4690 exists.

So a Z97 board and an I5 4690k would be the way to go? would the r9 270x then be a bottleneck? I just want 60fps+ on decent games on decent settings you guys know the dream ;)

270x? you said in the OP you have a 290x. which one do you actually have?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

So a Z97 board and an I5 4690k would be the way to go? would the r9 270x then be a bottleneck? I just want 60fps+ on decent games on decent settings you guys know the dream ;)

So it was a r9 270x....

I'd just get a i5 4600 then save up for a GPU. Z97 in your case might leave little for savings to get a new GPU in the future (e.g r9 290).

Pascal laptops guide

true, but it's not absolutely neccesary.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

270x? you said in the OP you have a 290x. which one do you actually have?

I corrected myself after if you look at the post then down a bit :) sorry yeah its 270x

I corrected myself after if you look at the post then down a bit :) sorry yeah its 270x

ok. yeah, I would still go for a CPU, and then a GPU. 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

true, but it's not absolutely neccesary.

Yeah.

Pascal laptops guide