Gigabyte 970 g1

ichris1120

So should i return my evga ssc 970 for the 970 g1? Been hearing a lot about coil noise from ssc. 

Even if you return the SSC for a G1, the G1 might still have coil whine. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

So should i return my evga ssc 970 for the 970 g1? Been hearing a lot about coil noise from ssc. 

Coil whine is a really a luck of the draw thing. If you returned the EVGA model there is a small chance the G1 will have coil whine as well. I've heard its also more common on G1 cards.

Eh, before I exchanged my Gigabyte G1 980 Ti there was no coil whine on it at all, probably because of the Windforce cooling.

The G1 apparently has the highest rate on coil whine. Like I said its a luck of a draw thing not all cards will have coil whine.

Well besides the coil whine, is there any advantages with getting the g1? I'm trying to oc my gpu, so will the g1 give more oc performance?

Well besides the coil whine, is there any advantages with getting the g1? I'm trying to oc my gpu, so will the g1 give more oc performance?

Its one of the best 970 out there. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

My G1 gets coil whine at about 400/500fps or higher, and even then it's extremely quiet with an open case, but it's all luck of the draw.

The G1 is one of the best overclocking 970s out there, if not the best. Most cards will hit 1500+ easily, 1600MHz if you get a good card, but it's hit and miss with what memory you get and it depends on card revisions IIRC. If you get one with Samsung chips you're already well off

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

If you get a good overclock on G1, it has pretty much same performance as reference 980, which is pretty crazy

^_^

CPU: Intel i7-6700K | MB: Asus Z170-A | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming OC @ GTX 980 Perf. | CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 | COOLER: Coolermaster HYPER 212 EVO |

RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Savage | STORAGE:  Western Digital HDD & Samsung 850 EVO SSD | PSU: Fractal Design Edison M 550W | SCREEN: Dell U2412M 24"

Fully stable at 1550/1925 and zero coil whine, its totally inaudible when gaming (unless in a menu with 500fps then I can hear the faintest of a whine, I set a sys-wide limit of 200fps so its gone forever), but that affects more than the 970, IMO a lot of cards have THAT issue with multiple hundred fps.

Quiet as hell, performs as expected, nice and cool.

/I'm using a modded bios, but could do 1450/1800'ish (never finished MAX testing) on the stock bios.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

The biggest problem with the ACX 2.0 EVGA cards is the power limits in the stock bios.  187 watts just isn't enough to get decent overclocks.  I could run my FTWs at around 1480 without power throttling.  Modded the bios and raised the power limit to 310 watts, now I'm game stable at 1570 / 1950 and bench well above 1600 / and right at 2000 on the memory.  Most of the EVGA ACX 2.0 970s got stuck with Elpida memory....which hurts.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10