How long should I be spending on my computer?

Why do you think I'm asking someone? 

because youre making this post. omg

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Go outside and play with your friends.

You'll develop REAL social skills, and you will always have more fun.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

To be honest, I've never been a social person. Talking to people online makes me feel more comfortable. 

Agreed, I was not particularly social myself before my freshmen year, If the issue is the 2 hour limit you could try to see if your grades and attitude stay fine if you could have additional time on the computer? 

Side note: I did this to keep my long hair all throughout High School.

“Does Yggdrasil drink from it because it is the Well of Wisdom, or is it the Well of Wisdom because Yggdrasil drinks from it?” 
― J. Aleksandr WoottonHer Unwelcome Inheritance

CPU Intel 6700k @4.7ghz  Motherboard Asus Rampage Formula VIII RAM 16gb (4x4) Corsair Dominator Platinums GPU Evga Hybrid 980ti

Case ThermalTake X71 Storage 512gb 950 Samsung M.2 PSU 1000Hxi Corsair Cooling 115i Corsair CLC 280mm
Operating System Windows 10 64bit

because youre making this post. omg

quit acting so pissed and just leave. I can tell you don't like me, so don't reply next time. Geez :/

quit acting so pissed and just leave. I can tell you don't like me, so don't reply next time. Geez :/

and he realizes.....

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Agreed, I was not particularly social myself before my freshmen year, If the issue is the 2 hour limit you could try to see if your grades and attitude stay fine if you could have additional time on the computer? 

Side note: I did this to keep my long hair all throughout High School.

haha, I'm currently growing my hair long. Sometimes idk whether i want to cut it or not

I'm on a computer more than 10hrs a day on average as I work and have fun on it, really I see no reason to limit your use unless you're worried about exercise your not getting.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Hmmm.

My kids get about 3.5 hours to do stuff on computers, mainly because they are pretty competitive and like dueling it in bike races, and other outdoor stuff.

Don't spend too much time on the internet.

And besides, are you learning stuff on the internet?

before i moved in with my fiance, i was spending 8 hours at work on the computer, then coming home and spending another 8 or 9 hours online.  im hardly ever on my computer when im not at work now.

the amount of time spent really depends on you.  if you're still focusing on school, and getting decent grades, and going to sleep at a decent enough time, then spend however much time online that you want. just dont let it get in the way of other things. remember that socializing with friends and family is more important and you'll be fine

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Hmmm.

My kids get about 3.5 hours to do stuff on computers, mainly because they are pretty competitive and like dueling it in bike races, and other outdoor stuff.

Don't spend too much time on the internet.

And besides, are you learning stuff on the internet?

Well, I am currently learning how to code and learning about computer hardware. I still like to play games, but my parents seem to think that's all i do :/

Well, I am currently learning how to code and learning about computer hardware. I still like to play games, but my parents seem to think that's all i do :/

Use common sense and prioritize. I don't even calculate how much time I spend on my PC because it's my free time. And learn to just stop once in a while and do something else.

Spoiler

PRE-BUILT DESKTOP | CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz | RAM: 4GB DDR2 @ 800MHz (2GBX2) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 w/ 2GB VRAM | HDDs: 3.5" Samsung HD501LJ ATA 500GB 7200rpm & 3.5" Samsung 502IJ ATA 500GB 7200rpm | PSU: MODECOM Feel III-500Watt ATX | Displays: Samsung SyncMaster T22B350 (1920x1080) & LG Flatron W2234S (1680x1050) | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit & Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS | Peripherals: Logitech M90 gray mice & Acme KM10 keyboard | Sound: HDMI 2.0

DELL INSPIRON 15 7000 SERIES (7537) LAPTOP | CPU: Intel i7-4510U @ 2GHz | RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz (4GBX2) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M w/ 2GB VRAM | SSHD: 2.5" 1TB + 8GB Flash | Display: 15.6" 1920x1080 IPS w/ Multi-Touch | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | Peripherals: Logitech M100 white mice | Sound:  Logitech Z130 2.0

OTHER DEVICES | Phone: Samsung Galaxy Alpha 32GB

As long as you don't get fat, you're fine. Start making minecraft videos and start getting paid and your mom can't complain. 

It really depends on your situation, and also what you do with the computers. If you spend time just dicking around and playing video games 16 hours a day, then it's a problem and you should probably try and move to doing something more productive, get a job, etc. If you do a load of good stuff on the computer, learning how to program, spending your time creating something that will benefit you and/or other people, then that's a much more acceptable situation, especially if you show your parents what you're working on, so that they understand that you don't spend all the time playing CS:GO or whatever game. A lot of times gaming is good for you, it trains your brain to react to uncertainty, things like that, but as you do or should know, too much of anything is detrimental to your mind. I'm not trying to say limit yourself to a certain number of hours behind a computer screen - that would be hypocritical of me to say - but you should at the very least try to do things that are productive. Learning Linux, learning how to write scripts, programs, games, etc. Things that will help you in the future. And the one thing that I would say is the most important - go outside every now and then. Don't spend all day behind the screen. Go out into the woods from time to time and enjoy nature. And keep your family in the loop about what you're doing. Then they'll be a lot less uneasy about the time you spend on your machine.

Source: I'm a computer addict. My job is sitting in a dark old house and typing things into spreadsheets and pdfs. Then I mess around with computers more or less constantly at home. Spending time outside and/or with family is important to my lifestyle, if I didn't, I would be a nervous wreck NEET with a social anxiety disorder.

I spend pretty much 10 hours a day in front of my computer. Back when I was XX, if I wasn't playing piano (spent 8 hours a day on that), I was on the computer. I ate at my computer. 

Except I do mostly productive things, like learn coding. And write. And help people.

I'm fine.

This is a good point.  Are you doing productive things on the computer or are you just dicking around?

Processor Intel Core i5-4690K CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 RAM 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Graphics Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Case NZXT Phantom (Black) PSU Corsair CX600M Operating System Windows 10 Monitor BenQ GL2760H Headset Skullcandy PLYR 1 & Sennheiser Momentum

My mum is really concerned about my education and read somewhere that I should only be spending up to 2 hours a day on my computer. However, at the moment I am only less than 16 years old and I don't have any big tests coming up. Do you think my mum is right? Please let me know your opinions on this ASAP.

Thanks. Louis  :)

I think the answer also depends on what you are doing with the computer, is the 2 hours also used for studying anything or is this after homework/ studying. Just FYI I have a 14 and 15 year old (boys) so unlike some of these wankers, I can give a parental perspective Louis. :) I'd say if it's after what is needed for school, then 2 hours is more than you should spend on the computer. School gives you a lot of chance for social interaction that you should take advantage of, plus you can always become a fat, pastey computer nerd later on at any time :D.

Shut up.  Go to school and get an education.  Once your an adult, you have all the free time you want.  YOU ARE STILL A CHILD and your parents get to dictate your life right now.  GET OVER IT.  

EDIT:  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your parents care about you and want you to succeed.  Try listening to them since they probably know what they are talking about.

Processor Intel Core i5-4690K CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 RAM 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Graphics Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Case NZXT Phantom (Black) PSU Corsair CX600M Operating System Windows 10 Monitor BenQ GL2760H Headset Skullcandy PLYR 1 & Sennheiser Momentum

I think the answer also depends on what you are doing with the computer, is the 2 hours also used for studying anything or is this after homework/ studying. Just FYI I have a 14 and 15 year old (boys) so unlike some of these wankers, I can give a parental perspective Louis. :) I'd say if it's after what is needed for school, then 2 hours is more than you should spend on the computer. School gives you a lot of chance for social interaction that you should take advantage of, plus you can always become a fat, pastey computer nerd later on at any time :D.

Hey, now, lets not hate on the fat pastey, computer nerds.  We rock.

Hey, now, lets not hate of the fat pastey, computer nerds.  We rock.

Not hating at all.

Well, tell your mom that you are learning how to program so she doesn't just think you are wasting time. It is a valid job skill to have.

My mum is really concerned about my education and read somewhere that I should only be spending up to 2 hours a day on my computer. However, at the moment I am only less than 16 years old and I don't have any big tests coming up. Do you think my mum is right? Please let me know your opinions on this ASAP.

Thanks. Louis  :)

If you do well in school and do exercise and still have enough free time to play or go on the internet, I don't see why you shouldn't. My time on the computer varies day to day because of school but, once I have done exercise and my hw/study I usually go and play with my friends for a few hours.

It really depends on your situation, and also what you do with the computers. If you spend time just dicking around and playing video games 16 hours a day, then it's a problem and you should probably try and move to doing something more productive, get a job, etc. If you do a load of good stuff on the computer, learning how to program, spending your time creating something that will benefit you and/or other people, then that's a much more acceptable situation, especially if you show your parents what you're working on, so that they understand that you don't spend all the time playing CS:GO or whatever game. A lot of times gaming is good for you, it trains your brain to react to uncertainty, things like that, but as you do or should know, too much of anything is detrimental to your mind. I'm not trying to say limit yourself to a certain number of hours behind a computer screen - that would be hypocritical of me to say - but you should at the very least try to do things that are productive. Learning Linux, learning how to write scripts, programs, games, etc. Things that will help you in the future. And the one thing that I would say is the most important - go outside every now and then. Don't spend all day behind the screen. Go out into the woods from time to time and enjoy nature. And keep your family in the loop about what you're doing. Then they'll be a lot less uneasy about the time you spend on your machine.

Source: I'm a computer addict. My job is sitting in a dark old house and typing things into spreadsheets and pdfs. Then I mess around with computers more or less constantly at home. Spending time outside and/or with family is important to my lifestyle, if I didn't, I would be a nervous wreck NEET with a social anxiety disorder.

I have social anxiety too :/ and thanks for the feedback. it really is appreciated 

Shut up.  Go to school and get an education.  Once your an adult, you have all the free time you want.  YOU ARE STILL A CHILD and your parents get to dictate your life right now.  GET OVER IT.  

EDIT:  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your parents care about you and want you to succeed.  Try listening to them since they probably know what they are talking about.

Don't you think I am listening? I haven't said 'no' hands down. And don't be so rude, man.

When I was in my teenage years I managed approximately 23/7 for a good while.

Currently it's in the region of ~13/7. I wouldn't worry.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.