Windows tablet for drawing.

ibbadib

Hey Guys

I have not been following the tablet market for some years, so I would like you Guy's help

I am hoping to use the device in school in design class to draw sketches(have a pen), and/or as a secondary display(so it need to be able to stand).

I need it to run Windows and have a keyboard as, I Hope to use when traveling instead of my main laptop.

I would get the New lenovo tab 3 pro if if it ran Windows.

Do you Guys have any suggestions?

Thanks

In OR case you can get a huion monitor otherwise an original surface

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Maybe a Surface 3?

They're pricey but they're worth it from what I've heard

Try the Surface Pro 4

I love my Surface 3, it's got a good pen, and it's not insanely expensive. 

But if you're willing to spend more, the Surface Pro 4 is a great choice

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

You could always pick up a Surface 3 (not pro), it really good, the Pro version is more expensive but in terms of pen functionality they are equal, my dad has a Pro 3 and between his and my Surface 3, I saw no difference in many things except it was able to  run PS slightly better.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

Why windows tablet and not an android or got forbid a ipad

He may be interested in running PS.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

Maybe a Surface 3?

They're pricey but they're worth it from what I've heard

Exactly what I was going to suggest xD

I have a Surface 3 and it's awesome for drawing and especially notetaking.

On top of that the new Surface 4 pen and nibs will work with the Surface 3 :)

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Try the Surface Pro 4

Too pricey.

I love my Surface 3, it's got a good pen, and it's not insanely expensive. 

But if you're willing to spend more, the Surface Pro 4 is a great choice

Thanks.

Why windows tablet and not an android or got forbid a ipad

I need it to be like, an travel school PC, so I NEED Mathcad. Also, Inkscape, Gimp, and other programs I need. I also do a little coding which would be cool to do.

You could always pick up a Surface 3 (not pro), it really good, the Pro version is more expensive but in terms of pen functionality they are equal, my dad has a Pro 3 and between his and my Surface 3, I saw no difference in many things except it was able to  run PS slightly better.

Thanks.

Exactly what I was going to suggest xD

I have a Surface 3 and it's awesome for drawing and especially notetaking.

On top of that the new Surface 4 pen and nibs will work with the Surface 3 :)

Does the Surface 3 pen feature pressure sensitivity?

Does the surface 3 run 64 bit?

Does anyone have a yoga tab 2 (windows), to compare with the surface? Or the tab 2 pro (android) to compare the drawing?

The surface 3 with keyboard is 1.8x the price of the Lenovo.

The Surface 3 is 64bit, a Quad Core Atom Processor (but not like the ones of old, this one is actually really good :P ) with fully featured X86-64 Windows and I recommend getting the 4GB RAM version.

The Surface 3 Pen has 256 levels of pressure sensitivity however the Surface 4 pen is the same price and comes with extra nibs and has 1024 levels of fully customiseable pressure sensitivity (if you don't mind waiting a little longer).

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

The Surface 3 is 64bit, a Quad Core Atom Processor (but not like the ones of old, this one is actually really good :P ) with fully featured X86-64 Windows and I recommend getting the 4GB RAM version.

The Surface 3 Pen has 256 levels of pressure sensitivity however the Surface 4 pen is the same price and comes with extra nibs and has 1024 levels of fully customiseable pressure sensitivity (if you don't mind waiting a little longer).

Wow awesome.

It seems the Surface 3 is what I want. I do not plan on buying anything right now, maybe in a month, maybe two. I REALLY like the design of the Lenovo Tab 3 Pro, so I am going to atleast see if Lenovo bring windows to that one.

Is it possible to use the surface pen for other tablets, and get the same functionality?

EDIT:

The surface 3 2GB/64GB without pen and keyboard is 4200 DKK. + 450 DKK for pen, and 900 DKK for keyboard

The surface 3 with 4GB/128GB without pen and keybord is 5000 DKK. + pen and keyboard.

Both are over my bugdet, now, but I will wait a month or so and see what Lenovo will bring out.

Too pricey.

Thanks.

I need it to be like, an travel school PC, so I NEED Mathcad. Also, Inkscape, Gimp, and other programs I need. I also do a little coding which would be cool to do.

Thanks.

Does anyone have a yoga tab 2 (windows), to compare with the surface? Or the tab 2 pro (android) to compare the drawing?

The surface 3 with keyboard is 1.8x the price of the Lenovo.

i cant say how it compares to the tab 2, but i picked up an sp3 a few days ago and the experience is far better than the one i had with my galaxy note 8 (i dont draw, but i do take notes with the pen).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Wow awesome.

It seems the Surface 3 is what I want. I do not plan on buying anything right now, maybe in a month, maybe two. I REALLY like the design of the Lenovo Tab 3 Pro, so I am going to atleast see if Lenovo bring windows to that one.

Is it possible to use the surface pen for other tablets, and get the same functionality?

EDIT:

The surface 3 2GB/64GB without pen and keyboard is 4200 DKK. + 450 DKK for pen, and 900 DKK for keyboard

The surface 3 with 4GB/128GB without pen and keybord is 5000 DKK. + pen and keyboard.

Both are over my bugdet, now, but I will wait a month or so and see what Lenovo will bring out.

Before buying the Surface 3, wait for Windows 10 big update (TH2 - Threshold 2). Windows 10 runs not so good on Surface products, or if you don't mind, get the latest insider build. Should fix many problems. Should be officially released in 2 weeks if rumors are to believed.

The only issues I have with my Surface Pro 2 with the latest insider build:

-> CPU spikes after multiple sleep/wakeup at random at 50%. But this is due to Intel drivers. As the chip is different in the Surface 3, you might not have this driver bug. A reboot fixes the problem.

-> Touscreen keyboard doesn't move up windows under the keyboard like it did in Windows 8.1, so that is annoying.

-> Because Microsoft keeps the system junk free to the max, you dont' have the Intel Control Panel. Meaning you can't disable "Intel Display Power Saving" feature, which is a feature that is nothing more than dynamic contrast ratio. It doesn't adjust the backlight of the screen, it adjust the colors at a software levels so all the colors are wrong. If you are plugged in, it is not enabled. On battery it is.

This problem plagues all users of Intel integrated graphics. Most people disable it, but you can't. And for some reason, Intel is not making available the drivers of the Atom GPU on their site, so you can't install them, and gain access to the control panel.

I have made a software that disables this stupid feature form Intel (which by the way doesn't save any battery life), but I never got the chance to make it work with the latest drivers, as I have been crazy busy lately. Also, as I don't have a Surface 3, I am unable to test to see if it works. Expect the same story with the Surface Pro 4, assuming Intel continues to be obsess with this stupid feature, and enable it by default.

But beside that, really good system. Personally I would wait and save more and get the Surface Pro 4. The pen is better, the tracking is better, the system is more powerful, has faster storage, you'll enjoy it a lot more. Beside the device is sold out, it will take time before it comes out.

Before buying the Surface 3, wait for Windows 10 big update (TH2 - Threshold 2). Windows 10 runs not so good on Surface products, or if you don't mind, get the latest insider build. Should fix many problems. Should be officially released in 2 weeks if rumors are to believed.

-> CPU spikes after multiple sleep/wakeup at random at 50%. But this is due to Intel drivers. As the chip is different in the Surface 3, you might not have this driver bug. A reboot fixes the problem.

-> Touscreen keyboard doesn't move up windows under the keyboard like it did in Windows 8.1, so that is annoying.

-> Because Microsoft keeps the system junk free to the max, you dont' have the Intel Control Panel. Meaning you can't disable "Intel Display Power Saving" feature, which is a feature that is nothing more than dynamic contrast ratio. It doesn't adjust the backlight of the screen, it adjust the colors at a software levels so all the colors are wrong. If you are plugged in, it is not enabled. On battery it is.

This problem plagues all users of Intel integrated graphics. Most people disable it, but you can't. And for some reason, Intel is not making available the drivers of the Atom GPU on their site, so you can't install them, and gain access to the control panel.

I have made a software that disables this stupid feature form Intel (which by the way doesn't save any battery life), but I never got the chance to make it work with the latest drivers, as I have been crazy busy lately. Also, as I don't have a Surface 3, I am unable to test to see if it works. Expect the same story with the Surface Pro 4, assuming Intel continues to be obsess with this stupid feature, and enable it by default.

But beside that, really good system. Personally I would wait and save more and get the Surface Pro 4. The pen is better, the tracking is better, the system is more powerful, has faster storage, you'll enjoy it a lot more. Beside the device is sold out, it will take time before it comes out.

Thanks man. I'll wait a month or so

What issues are there with W10 on the S3? I haven't noticed any issues on my SP3; and it's definitely a hell of a lot better than w8.1. 

/the touchscreen keyboard moves up windows in the official w10 release on my sp3. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

What issues are there with W10 on the S3? I haven't noticed any issues on my SP3; and it's definitely a hell of a lot better than w8.1.

I know a person that has a Surface 3, and at random, can't point the exact process for this to start happening, but looking online this is not a special case. The pen, when you tap start right-clicking instead of clicking. no way to fix this beside a reboot. It makes the OS impossible to navigate with the pen, or write. Tried playing with it 30min, looking online, no fix beside going back to Windows 8.1, which was not possible for him as he has Windows 10 when he bought it. A reboot fixes the problem.

/the touchscreen keyboard moves up windows in the official w10 release on my sp3.

Even if the window is maximized?

I know a person that has a Surface 3, and at random, can't point the exact process for this to start happening, but looking online this is not a special case. The pen, when you tap start right-clicking instead of clicking. no way to fix this beside a reboot. It makes the OS impossible to navigate with the pen, or write. Tried playing with it 30min, looking online, no fix beside going back to Windows 8.1, which was not possible for him as he has Windows 10 when he bought it. A reboot fixes the problem.

Even if the window is maximized?

Interesting.

Ahh that doesn't work. I just never run anything maximized

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Wow awesome.

EDIT:

The best device for your case would be the Surface 3. Has a good pen (you can buy the surface 4 pen at a later date which is a better pen and works with surface 3 I believe) and is designed very well as well as runs on an Intel Atom processor that is plenty fast for most typical things.

post-5026-0-31160400-1445367967_thumb.jp

Here is another Option that is cheaper but I do not know of the Pen performance but these 2 in 1 devices do have a Pen/Stylus that can be purchased. I think you can purchase any stylus that the device can support. I do not know which technologies it supports

Asus Transformer Book. http://www.asus.com/transformerbook/overview.html (this link is a quick overview of the transformer book series)

post-5026-0-09566700-1445367938_thumb.jp

It does have pen/stylus support. I think you can purchase any stylus that the device can support. I do not know which technologies it supports but also Asus does make a Pen/Stylus. It also has multiple variants. Some are cheap while others are more pricey.

http://www.asus.com/2-in-1-PCs/Transformer-Book-series-Detachable-Products/ (this link is to see all the transformer book variations)

The T100HA is the newest one that has the latest Atom processor from Intel and supports USB Type-C. It also comes in multiple colors and with Windows 10 installed.

post-5026-0-64973900-1445367960.jpg

The T100 Chi is last years model (1 or 2 years old) that originally came with Windows 8.1. I do not know if they come with Windows 10 right now but you can always upgrade it for free anyway for now. Depending on which model you get it can be cheaper then the T100HA I believe.

The T300 series are more expensive because they come with laptop grade hardware such as the Intel Core processors instead of the mobile processors. These will cost $500 and up (or around 3000 DKK and up). So I suggest the T100 series.

The T100HA would give you the latest in tech at a more affordable price. The T100 chi variants would be cheaper and still good for the price.

If you want something small there is the Asus Transformer Book T90. It's an 8.9 inch asus 2 in 1.

There are also variants that have a HDD in the keyboard and you can have more storage when in laptop mode (tablet is in keyboard dock) but those will be more expensive.

Please check on reviews and prices to decide which variation you would want. There are quite a few.

What do you think @GoodBytes ?

Wow awesome.

EDIT:

The Surface 3 pen doesn't work with other tablets as far as I know.

I would really save up for the Surface since you can get student discount on it (if you're a student) :P

I would really save up for the Surface since you can get student discount on it (if you're a student) :P

Yup! 10% off, and anything else you order as accessories for it.

-Snip-

Wow, thanks for the response, very elaborate :-)

I am a Highschool student in Denmark, I study Math, IT and Design (as main subjects, I also have/had, chemistry, physics, soceity class, biology, technology, Danish, English and many more) . The student discounts usually only apply to university, but I will check it out :-)

Wow, thanks for the response, very elaborate :-)

I am a Highschool student in Denmark, I study Math, IT and Design (as main subjects, I also have/had, chemistry, physics, soceity class, biology, technology, Danish, English and many more) . The student discounts usually only apply to university, but I will check it out :-)

As far as I know all you need to have is an email adress with your school/University; hopefully it works for you :)

As far as I know all you need to have is an email adress with your school/University; hopefully it works for you :)

I hope so.

But anyway it seems expensive to me ATM. The surface 3 + KB + pen, will cost me the same as my Thinkpad L440 + 4GB RAM + 128 GB M.2 SSD + 1080P IPS panel costed. And that will still be my main School PC, as the Surface is no where near powerfull enough to replace it.

So it is just about how much I want it * how much I expect to use it / The price.

I hope so.

But anyway it seems expensive to me ATM. The surface 3 + KB + pen, will cost me the same as my Thinkpad L440 + 4GB RAM + 128 GB M.2 SSD + 1080P IPS panel costed. And that will still be my main School PC, as the Surface is no where near powerfull enough to replace it.

So it is just about how much I want it * how much I expect to use it / The price.

There's always the option of not trying to replace your current laptop, and just using it as a supplement for note taking/drawing (i.e. so you can get a low end used Surface 3/pro 3 for a pretty good price). That's where I stand with mine. I have a 15" rMBP, which is better than any Surface Pro and that I prefer using for most things, I just like the SP3's touchscreen/pen for taking notes. So I picked up the cheapest SP3 I could find (i3 + 64gb of ram w/ type cover and pen for $500), and I'm now using it in addition to my Mac. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler