Micro stutters with GTX 960 4GB SLI?

IZON

Hi everyone,

i know there a some topics around that discusses if a gtx 960 sli config makes sense or not, and most users find that this card in sli would makes less sense.

But anyway, i want to know, if i would stick in a second card, in my case a evga gtx 960 ssc 4gb, will i get trouble with micro stutters? 

In general i would like to know if there is anything that a user can do, to avoid micro stutters (for example, using them on a motheroard that allows 2x 3.0 PCIE x16 at the same time) or a more powerfull cpu or something like that.

For now, i am playing GTAV, witcher 3 and dying light.

Thanks!

My rig:

• CPU
    Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1231 v3
  • Motherboard
    ASUS Z97-AR
  • RAM
    G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
  • GPU
    EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 4GB GDDR5
  • Case
    Chieftec LBX-02B-U3
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | WD Green 1TB
  • PSU
    Corsair RM650i
  • Cooling
    All Noctua
  • Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Well it's SLI, one of the drawbacks of SLI. Try all of the drivers, but AFAIK Windows 10 still has no good Nvidia drivers.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

frame counters can sometimes affect games, when i had a kracken x61 with cam software i used to have constant stutters in witcher 3 and gtav when i had the fps counter on.

• CPU
    Intel i7 6700k
  • Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Formuula VIII
  • RAM
    16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
  • GPU
    Asus Strix GTX 1080 ti
  • Case
    Be Quiet Silent Base
  • Storage
    256GB Samsung Pro M.2 SSD and 2TB Samsung SSD
  • PSU
    Corsair AX860
  • Display(s)
    Asus Rog Swift pg279q, 165Hz IPS
  • Cooling
    Be Quiet Dark Rock 3
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman Elite
  • Mouse
    Mionix Castor (waiting on stock for the G Pro Wireless)
  • Sound
    Asus Xonar Essence stx, Audioengine A5+, Sennheiser HD650

Why did you SLI two 960s.

Microstutter is a disadvantage of a dual GPU setup

If you'd read it you would know he hasn't actually bought a second 960..

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Your GTX 960 can't even use all of it's memory soo...

It can. 

low quality bait. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

SLi is more janky than crossfire thanks to the ancient bridges still being used. I'd say depending on the game, you may or may not have issues with SLI but 960 SLI is pointless. Better get a 390 for that price.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It can. 

low quality bait. 

You sir are my favourite orgasm. 

Why did you SLI two 960s.

Microstutter is a disadvantage of a dual GPU setup

there are youtubers who recommend lower-end sli above stronger single card because of slightly higher fps

there are youtubers who recommend lower-end sli above stronger single card because of slightly higher fps

But there's all the disadvantages with dual GPU setups, and 9 times out of 10 they need more power than a single card setup (looking at you 2 380s vs 390)

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

But there's all the disadvantages with dual GPU setups, and 9 times out of 10 they need more power than a single card setup (looking at you 2 380s vs 390)

I'm more so looking at 2x 960s using more than a 390X and costing the same.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Thanks for your replies!

A evga gtx 960 ssc 4gb cost about 225€ in germany, the cheapest 390 about 100€ more

I had one experience with crossfire years ago with two HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB cards and i had tons of stutters, so i thought maybe this kinda problem with dual gpu cards has been solved

i prefere a single gpu solution anyway, but I wanted to know, maybe if price drops for the 960 somedays under 200€ or so, if this could be a nice upgrade solution, but higher fps makes no sense with micro stutters

they testet dual 960s in some reviews but never mentioned micro stutters

Thanks for your replies!

A evga gtx 960 ssc 4gb cost about 225€ in germany, the cheapest 390 about 100€ more

I had one experience with crossfire years ago with two HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB cards and i had tons of stutters, so i thought maybe this kinda problem with dual gpu cards has been solved

i prefere a single gpu solution anyway, but I wanted to know, maybe if price drops for the 960 somedays under 200€ or so, if this could be a nice upgrade solution, but higher fps makes no sense with micro stutters

they testet dual 960s in some reviews but never mentioned micro stutters

AMD CrossFire has been stutter free ever since they removed the CF bridges in 2013 - they now do it via PCIe interface resulting in a vastly superior experience and better scaling all the way up to 90% in some games.

Too bad Digital Foundry hasn't done 960 SLI benchmarks with FCAT. They're the gold standard to me when it comes to hardware reviews since they do a large testsuite of games while showing instantaneous frametimes (a stutter is a spike in instantaneous frametime).