Dell U2515H vs entry level 4K

Xploda
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

I'd definitely go for the U2515H. I have a 4K monitor, but I run it at 1440p because it's too hard to run in games, and it's too inconvenient for everyday use. Right now, the only benefits of 4K for me is using it for productivity (3D modelling, video editing and such) and watching native 4K content. I'd pick a nice 1440P IPS panel like the U2515H any day now. 

I'm looking into buying a new monitor.

First of all, there is the choice between 1440p and 4K. Is buying a 1440p monitor still justified in terms of the price? It just seems to me like we're not quite there yet for 4K. I have a single 980Ti, but it's far from ideal for running games on 4K I suppose? Also, will an entry level 4K panel be much worse in terms of quality, colors, ...? What about the scaling you have to do on 4K in order to make everything usable? How much of the screen real estate remains usable in comparison to 1440p?

Personally, I'm leaning more towards the 1440p option, but then the question of which monitor I would buy, is still open. The Dell U2515H has caught my eye, and even though I have googled a bit for finding worthy alternatives, I couldn't come up with any. So here's the main question of this topic: are there any much better alternatives at this moment, for the same price range? This monitor costs €350 at the moment (where I live). The cheapest 4K monitors would come in at around €500.

I'd definitely go for the U2515H. I have a 4K monitor, but I run it at 1440p because it's too hard to run in games, and it's too inconvenient for everyday use. Right now, the only benefits of 4K for me is using it for productivity (3D modelling, video editing and such) and watching native 4K content. I'd pick a nice 1440P IPS panel like the U2515H any day now. 

u2515h is really the solid choice for 1440p at lower budget?

and that anime is awesome af 

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

u2515h is really the solid choice for 1440p at lower budget?

and that anime is awesome af 

I've seen a couple of reviews for this monitor, except a few details like the capacitive buttons that don't always respond, I haven't really heard any complaints about what really matters (the panel). So far it seems like the best choice to me, but maybe there are a few better ones out there for this price range after all?

That's exactly what I was afraid of, and that's also what I hear most people say about 4K. Thanks for confirming this  :D . But of course, I still understand your choice, given the relatively small price difference in most cases. I just checked your rig here on the LTT forum, and even if that has a hard time running games, it will be impossible for my rig. At least without SLI  :D .

I've seen a couple of reviews for this monitor, except a few details like the capacitive buttons that don't always respond, I haven't really heard any complaints about what really matters (the panel). So far it seems like the best choice to me, but maybe there are a few better ones out there for this price range after all?

for gaming? like casual gaming some gtav some rocketleague and dota 2 csgo.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

for gaming? like casual gaming some gtav some rocketleague and dota 2 csgo.

Yes, everyone says it's good for casual gaming, but less for the pro gamers. The latter would obviously go for lower response time 144Hz TN panels. 

There are apparently 2 modes: 8ms and 6ms gaming preset, but I don't know the disadvantage of the 6ms mode.

EDIT: I think this monitor should be seen more as a good allround monitor for media consumption. It's apparently also pretty good for amateur content creation because of its display of colors.

Yes, everyone says it's good for casual gaming, but less for the pro gamers. The latter would obviously go for lower response time 144Hz TN panels. 

There are apparently 2 modes: 8ms and 6ms gaming preset, but I don't know the disadvantage of the 6ms mode.144hz 1080p tn and ips 1440 is priced very close now tho. what a hard decision since i mostly play dor=ta 2 and csgo that people say will benefit from 144hz which i didnt try before i dont know.

There are apparently 2 modes: 8ms and 6ms gaming preset, but I don't know the disadvantage of the 6ms mode.144hz 1080p tn and ips 1440 is priced very close now tho. what a hard decision since i mostly play dor=ta 2 and csgo that people say will benefit from 144hz which i didnt try before i dont know.

I think that it's really a different choice for everyone. I also do some coding in my spare time, and I think I will especially enjoy the additional space this monitor has to offer. I just got a Dell IPS monitor at work (FHD). First time I have ever used an IPS panel, and I really kind of got blown away by it. The thought of buying a new monitor has been playing a while, since I have bought a 980Ti about 2 months ago. This Dell monitor at work seems to have given the final push for me. I see more benefit in an IPS panel than a 144Hz TN panel, cause it all looks pretty shiny :D .

I haven't worked with a 144Hz monitor before, and I hear it's pretty cool as well (everything is extremely smooth), but I think the benefit of the higher resolution and nicer colors really outweighs that one benefit of having a 144Hz monitor.

I think that it's really a different choice for everyone. I also do some coding in my spare time, and I think I will especially enjoy the additional space this monitor has to offer. I just got a Dell IPS monitor at work (FHD). First time I have ever used an IPS panel, and I really kind of got blown away by it. The thought of buying a new monitor has been playing a while, since I have bought a 980Ti about 2 months ago. This Dell monitor at work seems to have given the final push for me. I see more benefit in an IPS panel than a 144Hz TN panel, cause it all looks pretty shiny :D .

I haven't worked with a 144Hz monitor before, and I hear it's pretty cool as well (everything is extremely smooth), but I think the benefit of the higher resolution and nicer colors really outweighs that one benefit of having a 144Hz monitor.

thx bro for the recommendation. one thing about my country is that even the biggest it store wont have proper sample for you to try it out, they often use some vga splitter to broadcast the videos which make every single monitor looks like shit and there is no gaming rig hook on to try it out the sweetness of 144hz so i can only gather information about 144hz and nice colour instead of looking at it myself.

thx bro for the recommendation. one thing about my country is that even the biggest it store wont have proper sample for you to try it out, they often use some vga splitter to broadcast the videos which make every single monitor looks like shit and there is no gaming rig hook on to try it out the sweetness of 144hz so i can only gather information about 144hz and nice colour instead of looking at it myself.

No problem  :D . Good luck in finding the best monitor for you, I just ordered the Dell Ultrasharp U2515H. Should be here tomorrow, can't wait  :D .

I think that it's really a different choice for everyone. I also do some coding in my spare time, and I think I will especially enjoy the additional space this monitor has to offer.

Maybe you could appreciate the space, but most likely not the size of the text. Most website / program aren't designed to be read at that high ppi of 4k.

Maybe you could appreciate the space, but most likely not the size of the text. Most website / program aren't designed to be read at that high ppi of 4k.

Yes, but I wasn't talking about 4K here. At this time, my decision for 1440p was already made  :D .

the u2515h, i have 3 of them and i love them, the pixel density is really nice i can just read them without scaling

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

the u2515h, i have 3 of them and i love them, the pixel density is really nice i can just read them without scaling

Just installed it. It's indeed very nice!  :D