Best dslr camera for $500?

Ok, so I'm just looking to getting into some photography and I'm looking for a good camera to start with.

I'm looking about the $500 mark give/take and don't really care about gimmicky things like on the fly photo editing and sorts. I would also not mind a reasonable Video quality and decent shutter photo speed. Obviously I'm no expert, that's why I'm looking for some expert help from you guys......

Just to note I will have no problem buying used if you recommend me something over the price of my budget.

What would you recommend for me?

And some lens recommendations would be helpful as well

Nikon D5100 (comes with 2 lens) 

Canon SL1 (comes with stock lens) 

Both around the 500 mark (ebay)

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

Sony a37 w/ kit 18-55. Here in Aus with a memory card that's just under $500 in store. Amazon and Ebay can be good if you can get shipping to your address, which you can't usually in Aus. I got this very thing a few days ago as a backup body for birding, and it's a really nice camera. Comes with an EVF which is quite controversial in the camera world, but the EVF on new Sony cameras is class leading, and I simply cannot go back to using an OVF. Night and day prefer EVF's. Also Sony SLT technology is useful for fast focusing, and much higher burst rates at each price point (useful for sports, birding, etc). SLT tech also basically removes the rolling shutter issue "jello effect" (when at 50p/60p) that Canon and Nikon entry level dSLRs have. Another benifit is that Sony cameras don't format memory cards into FAT 32, so you aren't limited to writing a maximum of 4gb files. What this translates to is you aren't limited to the 12-15 minute max take in video mode, another problem entry level Canon and Nikon bodies face (this means timelapsing is an option). Of course Magic Lantern can fix this formatting issue for Canons and Nikons, but you'll be voiding your warranty.