Microsoft says FU to Mobile Operators regarding updates

jos

Different implementations require different drivers for optimal usage (think of it as a dialects of a language, youll be much faster to communicate if both of you speak the same dialect). 

Drivers in Android seem to be compiled directly into the OS, that is why its so hard to do any hardware change without lots of software work. Im guessing that is what the Android Ara is running is trying to fix. Make it easier to change drivers on the fly

I'm not buying that argument about drivers, because Qualcomm actually has drivers that other manufacturers use and it does happen that they use the same one. There are even people on XDA that uploads drivers from one phone and use it on another just fine (and some upload drivers that can be installed by flashing them in for example WTRP).

Yes it does seem like you need to flash the drivers for some reason, but I still don't get why. It's not just an Android thing either. Updates for all phones are terrible compared to what we are used to on desktops. It's really bugging me that I don't know the reason and I can't find anything about it on Google either.

I hope Project Ara fixes it, but to me it seems like something about how OSes work on ARM devices is fundamentally different from x86 which makes it much harder to work with. Or maybe Apple, Google and Microsoft are just doing a really poor job (with Apple doing it on purpose to keep their devices under their control).

I'm glad that Microsoft acknowledges the issue, but I really have to wonder why it was an issue in the first place, considering that Apple is not effected by "carrier delay". I'll be looking forward to the direct updates, hopefully my devices stay supported though.

I'm not buying that argument about drivers, because Qualcomm actually has drivers that other manufacturers use and it does happen that they use the same one. There are even people on XDA that uploads drivers from one phone and use it on another just fine (and some upload drivers that can be installed by flashing them in for example WTRP).

Yes it does seem like you need to flash the drivers for some reason, but I still don't get why. It's not just an Android thing either. Updates for all phones are terrible compared to what we are used to on desktops. It's really bugging me that I don't know the reason and I can't find anything about it on Google either.

I hope Project Ara fixes it, but to me it seems like something about how OSes work on ARM devices is fundamentally different from x86 which makes it much harder to work with. Or maybe Apple, Google and Microsoft are just doing a really poor job (with Apple doing it on purpose to keep their devices under their control).

Well i dont think the drivers are all there is to it, but its a part of the problem. 

And yes this other point is definitely another part of it

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I'm glad that Microsoft acknowledges the issue, but I really have to wonder why it was an issue in the first place, considering that Apple is not effected by "carrier delay". I'll be looking forward to the direct updates, hopefully my devices stay supported though.

It is because Apple made an exclusive deal with AT&T which we nothing about. For all we know either AT&T gave unrestricted access for Apple, because they are Apple and they wanted the next product which is potentially millions in sales for AT&T, or Apple paid AT&T for this unrestricted access. iPhone was so successful, that other carriers had no choice to bend down on their knees in front of Apple and beg to have it.

Microsoft doesn't have this power. The only thing Microsoft can do, is make deals with service providers that treated well Windows Phone such as AT&T (only one in U.S and Canada, sadly), put a universal radio system in their phone, and sale it in their online/offline stores unlocked, and hope for the best. They have 3 phones, budget (Lumia 550), med range (Lumia 950) and high-end (Lumia 950XL). Definitely a hard to swallow pill. Especially that we are talking about not only asking people to pay the phone full price, but also take the risk in going in a eco system that is hopefully decent in a year or so. It has no apps. If HERE Map isn't good in your region, you have Bing Maps... (they both have offline maps which is a big plus) but no Google Map. If you primarily do texting/messaging, Skype, phone calls, and listen to music (basically the basic stuff of a smart phone), then I personally see no real issue with Windows 10 Mobile. You can even add Facebook, WahatApp, and a few select big apps which looks half decent official. But if you want proper apps support, Even if by magic, Microsoft gets 10% world wide market share with the phone, I don't think it will be enough. Unless by magic, Microsoft releases an Android emulator for it maybe in Windows 10.1, or tablets running Windows 10 sales a lot, and people uses the App Stores to get universal apps, boosting popularity (Universal apps are by default, high-DPI aware and touch friendly), and runs on any Windows 10 device, so the boost will help Windows 10 Mobile.

you guys realize the point of having a android phone is that you or the community can support it after the manufacter stopped...its cause you can hack the phone and do pretty much anything you want with it

I still have a S3 thats fully updated with CM or other various roms

thats the point of android...complete control and abilty to hack it...if you don't want that...then android phones aren't for you

also...FU to any carrier that locks down there android phones so it can't be hacked by the community...people shouldn't support those phones/carriers

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I still dont understand why the carrier has anything to do with what OS your phone is running.. As far as i know it is not a thing here in Australia.. 

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

After Google releases a new Android build, the carriers test it and then send it out themselves. With this method, Android users have to wait for each carrier to be satisfied before the update is disseminated. Since some carriers take longer to test updates than others, the result is an unbalanced process. Different owners of the same phone could have their handsets running on different builds of the same OS at the same time, depending on which carrier they subscribe to.

The main problem is not the carriers, it's the OEMs. People can choose to buy phones that are carrier free, unlocked, and with unbranded ROMs, thereby bypassing the carriers. But if they do that, they'l get updates from the OEMs. They can't choose to bypass the OEMs. Even a Nexus only gets updates for 2 or 3 years.

It's great that Microsoft is trying to bypass carriers (I don't personally care, I never buy phones on a contract), but this can only work on Lumias. Windows Phone can also be used on other phones, made by other OEMs, like the HTC One M8. Microsoft didn't say anything about forcing updates on OEMs.

Gotta credit apple for pushing out regular updates on its devices. Its a walled garden with fewer devices but still gotta give credit where credit is due.

Android on the other had fragmented market and shitload of devices to support. Im no programmer nor i understand how the android os works, but cant there be a way just to push security updates directly to the phones with carriers being involved? Just a random thought [emoji53]

Gotta credit apple for pushing out regular updates on its devices. Its a walled garden with fewer devices but still gotta give credit where credit is due.

Android on the other had fragmented market and shitload of devices to support. Im no programmer nor i understand how the android os works, but cant there be a way just to push security updates directly to the phones with carriers being involved? Just a random thought [emoji53]

Yes. But Apple didn't move the market. Only to itself. Microsoft has been trying this since Windows Phone 7 actually (at a time where the issue of Android wasn't highlighted at the time). But it failed. And failed again with Windows Phone 8.

So now, for Microsoft latest attempt, they are going with their own servers, only select carriers are approved to have the phone, everyone else, you can buy the phone unlocked and it uses Microsoft servers for the updates. A more brute force approach.