A beast Vs a 'somewhat more different' beast

Which one of these beauties do you guys recon would fold better.

Contender number 1-http://ark.intel.com/m/products/53580/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-8870-30M-Cache-2_40-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI

Contender number 2-http://ark.intel.com/m/products/75800/Intel-Xeon-Phi-Coprocessor-7120X-16GB-1_238-GHz-61-core

I personally don't fully understand coprocessors, but 61 cores sounds very impressive so I don't know really. However, seen as the coprocessor is a PCI-E interface, could you run number 1 + number 2 for some insane processing madness?!?

i dont think folding uses co processors you would be much more better doing 4p system like whaler

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Ya, the Phi along with the NVidia Tesla are not support by the FAH client nor do I think they ever will be. To high end for mainstream.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Just too clear up guys, I wasn't planning on building a rig with either of these (although a kid can dream). Although it's a shame about tesla and phi not being supported. If I were to drop 5 grand on a charity-ish platform, I would much rather buy something myself, own it, and be able to have it donated/'made us of' in a way that I can control. Plus, there is very much a measurable metric of success with folding, unlike most donations. Also, for those of you with serious cash to burn, that E7 Xeon has to be run in a multi processor enviroment. Although it can be ran in a 2p system, there will be a severe performance degradation. This means if your want the most bang for your buck with these bad boys, you'll need 4. Thats £12000 (approx $18000) for 40 (80 threads) of the most powerful cores intel will sell you. Do you recon you would see a half mill PPD on a CPU only system like that?

Well, I get 350-375k PPD on my current AMD 32 core solution - so that one, I wouldn't doubt being able to pull down 500K....

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

I desperately wish i had the money just top build wild projects like that!! 

Would be nice :)

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=261829&page=1

Its a 64-core Opteron system (I think). Wish i could build one of those.

The build is still in progress, so its not quite finished yet. Its still pretty impressive though

The only thing I don't like about this is just the overboard on the water cooling. I have seen a few budget water cooled folders that made with parts left over, but all that bling EK gear and stuff... for a folding box, just seems way over the top. The mod in the case and everything... I just find myself asking why? I can understand putting a lot of time and effort, and money, into your main gaming rig, etc... but into a folding system? And as a few mentioned on his thread... all the "sponsors".  Wish I could get some. :)

Most folding systems are built and hidden away. :)

But, should be able to OC that sucker and put out some huge numbers...

The only thing I don't like about this is just the overboard on the water cooling. I have seen a few budget water cooled folders that made with parts left over, but all that bling EK gear and stuff... for a folding box, just seems way over the top. The mod in the case and everything... I just find myself asking why? I can understand putting a lot of time and effort, and money, into your main gaming rig, etc... but into a folding system? And as a few mentioned on his thread... all the "sponsors".  Wish I could get some. :)

Most folding systems are built and hidden away. :)

But, should be able to OC that sucker and put out some huge numbers...

I can see your point. But if i were in his place, and i had all those sponsors, i would spare no expense either.

If i were to build a folding rig completely sponsored so i wouldnt pay a dime... The case would be solid gold and it would have diamond heatsinks with extra bling. Thats the only thing i would have changed though...

~Judah

When IB-EP drops next month you could in theory build a 48c/96t system. Which would be cool.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=261829&page=1

Its a 64-core Opteron system (I think). Wish i could build one of those.

The build is still in progress, so its not quite finished yet. Its still pretty impressive though

I can see that machine kicking it with the very best! But I found it rather funny that his RAM dot delivered in a box like that. It had a sense of "hear you go, just have it all, no one will mind" :D