Problem with GTX 970?

dbG33K

I had low fps with my 970 until yesterday when I solved it, it has benefited me twice the fps as before.

I noticed my disk usage was 100% in task manager, I solved it with online solution and my card works fine now + it feels like I got a SSD.

I'm running SSD and no HDDs, outside of an external 3TB which is rarely plugged in. I checked my Task Manager and hovering around 1 - 2% for disk usage at most...

• 4 weeks later...

As per many recommendations, I upgraded my i3 processor (to an i7 3770) and that did it! Just ran the benchmark, and scored 4692 :D

I'm still surprised CPU would affect a GPU benchmark software, but nonetheless I am relieved. Thanks for everybody's help!

As per many recommendations, I upgraded my i3 processor (to an i7 3770) and that did it! Just ran the benchmark, and scored 4692 :D

I'm still surprised CPU would affect a GPU benchmark software, but nonetheless I am relieved. Thanks for everybody's help!

If you're really looking for a comparison, you need to run Valley in Extreme HD.  

Also, as you start to push the clock up to where you want it, you'll want to run your testing bench / stress test runs with GPUz, sensors tab open.  It'll tell you if your GPU is being limited for any reason, be it voltage, power limit, TDP, etc.  The 970s power limits are...pretty limiting, so it'll be something you want to keep an eye on.  

If you see GREEN in the "PERF CAP REASON" line....your overclock is drawing too much power, and you'll need to dial it back a little bit to keep the clock from "power limit throttling".

You can get around the power limits by flashing to a custom bios.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

The i3 is not a gaming cpu. It can do the job, but not well, like you've seen.