Moving OS to SSD vs Fresh install

Muz
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

i was told when doing this just drag and drop windows to the SSD. I kinda don't believe its that easy though so others need to chime in.

I don't have a USB drive with Windows on it or my Win 7 disk anymore- so I knida hope its a easy job

You most definitely do no want to just drag and drop copy the files from one drive to the other. That would run into huge issues, including a non functional boot sector.

You will need to clone the HDD to the SSD. If you don't have a SATA to USB cable or USB dock, then you will need to plug both the HDD and SSD directly into the via regular SATA cables. Your motherboard should have came with at least a couple SATA cables.

Then you can clone the drives. This can be done via any number of drive cloning utilities.

Acronis is excellent and very easy to use, but it costs money (if your HDD is a Western Digital, then Acronis offers a free WD edition).

As shit the free versions, there are lots of good ones such as:

Clonezilla

Macrium Reflect

EaseUS ToDo Backup Free

I recommend the last option, EaseUS ToDo Backup Free. It's very easy to use, is free, and has no issues with cloning a bigger HDD onto a smaller SSD.

Download the installer from their website, which will automatically create a bootable USB stick.

Hey guis,

Just ordered my SSD and was wondering if there's any issues moving Windows 10 from a HDD to a SSD? I've recently done a fresh install and I don't wanna go through that again.

It's a Crucial BX100 250GB, does it come with any software that does it for me?

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

i was told when doing this just drag and drop windows to the SSD. I kinda don't believe its that easy though so others need to chime in.

I don't have a USB drive with Windows on it or my Win 7 disk anymore- so I knida hope its a easy job

Reading online it seems you clone the OS onto the SSD.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

Reading online it seems you clone the OS onto the SSD.

Y, just use some software like acronis.

Although, clear install is always better.

You most definitely do no want to just drag and drop copy the files from one drive to the other. That would run into huge issues, including a non functional boot sector.

You will need to clone the HDD to the SSD. If you don't have a SATA to USB cable or USB dock, then you will need to plug both the HDD and SSD directly into the via regular SATA cables. Your motherboard should have came with at least a couple SATA cables.

Then you can clone the drives. This can be done via any number of drive cloning utilities.

Acronis is excellent and very easy to use, but it costs money (if your HDD is a Western Digital, then Acronis offers a free WD edition).

Clonezilla

Macrium Reflect

EaseUS ToDo Backup Free

I recommend the last option, EaseUS ToDo Backup Free. It's very easy to use, is free, and has no issues with cloning a bigger HDD onto a smaller SSD.

Download the installer from their website, which will automatically create a bootable USB stick.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Clonezilla

Macrium Reflect

EaseUS ToDo Backup Free

you are the man. thank you

for me, my OS is on a SSD that is 7 years old and I been thinking about moving it over to a newer SSD in my system for a while now just in case it craps out. Been abusing it daily for years! Also on Black Friday I want to get a 960-1TB SSD and cut down on having 6 drives to just two. One for OS and the 1TB for games and shit.

thanks again. hope your advice helps the OP and others as well

<3