QWERTY keyboards VS Dvorak?!

LukeS

Most nice keyboards (and I mean actually nice ones, not "gamer" ones) nowadays have dip switches on the back, and most support switching between Qwerty, Dvorak and Colemak. (Of particular note is the Pok3r, since it's so comparatively inexpensive.)

But still, you should just learn to touch type it from the get go, at which point moving the caps around becomes pointless. And it can be especially annoying to move the caps around, since that changes where the labels are for the FN layer, which is where it would actually be nice to have the labels.

oh it is the pok3r i was thinking of lol  (and its actually on massdrop right now apparently)

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

oh it is the pok3r i was thinking of lol  (and its actually on massdrop right now apparently)

That it is. I have one coming in the mail tomorrow, I got it from the previous drop, and I was very impressed with the shipping times. (The had them in their warehouse within 3 or four days, and they sent them out a day or two after that.) Much better than typical turnaround times. If this drop is going to be the same, then it's definitely worth a buy, although you don't really save too much money...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

That it is. I have one coming in the mail tomorrow, I got it from the previous drop, and I was very impressed with the shipping times. (The had them in their warehouse within 3 or four days, and they sent them out a day or two after that.) Much better than typical turnaround times. If this drop is going to be the same, then it's definitely worth a buy, although you don't really save too much money...

yea this drop is fairly pointless. the shipping costs make up for the amount saved. and i wouldnt buy it personally (i wont buy 10keyless)  but it does look like a really nice keyboard.  if i didnt use a keyboard all day at work, i might actually make the switch at home just to annoy my fiance.

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I thought that it was all opinion, and any studies about this were biased as they were from Dvorak himself?

yea this drop is fairly pointless. the shipping costs make up for the amount saved. and i wouldnt buy it personally (i wont buy 10keyless)  but it does look like a really nice keyboard.  if i didnt use a keyboard all day at work, i might actually make the switch at home just to annoy my fiance.

heh, that's why I have blank caps on my keyboard. (my better half can't touch type...)

I thought that it was all opinion, and any studies about this were biased as they were from Dvorak himself?

Well, I mean, it is a fact that the more commonly used letters are all in the home row (i.e. All of the vowels appear on the home row) it's also a fact that you can type something like 65% of all the words in the english language from just the home row. It's also a fact that QWERTY is able to type about 20% of the english language from just the home row. So, at the very least, your fingers will not need to move as much, which is conducive to speed. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Well, I mean, it is a fact that the more commonly used letters are all in the home row (i.e. All of the vowels appear on the home row) it's also a fact that you can type something like 65% of all the words in the english language from just the home row. It's also a fact that QWERTY is able to type about 20% of the english language from just the home row. So, at the very least, your fingers will not need to move as much, which is conducive to speed. 

But there's no point switching, as most likely you've been typing on qwerty all your life

heh, that's why I have blank caps on my keyboard. (my better half can't touch type...)

i thought about doing that, but that would make the backlight on my keyboard weird, either no light at all, or too bright if i did all clear caps..  that and i actually like having my keys lit when i type in the dark.

|Specs in profile|

But there's no point switching, as most likely you've been typing on qwerty all your life

I agree with that for the most part. But, you see, I'm only 19, so all my life really isn't all that long... Also, I only recently learned to touch type, by switching all my caps to blank ones, so I don't think it would be too hard to switch over. 

Also, I think it would be nice to know Dvorak for a particular reason (which is why my Pok3r will be set up as such); A friend of mine has a Dvorak switch layout on his mac, and for some reason I have a lot of trouble touch typing without blank caps. So it would be nice to be able to type without having to think about it so much on his laptop. :o

That's the main reason I want to learn Dvorak. Oh, also, it's so I can beat him in type tests in both formats... We are really competitive with computer related stuff... 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

i thought about doing that, but that would make the backlight on my keyboard weird, either no light at all, or too bright if i did all clear caps..  that and i actually like having my keys lit when i type in the dark.

I mean, you could just get some thin PBT, or POM caps. Those all glow through, and, IMO, look pretty good to boot. Take a look at this, and see what I mean :P

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I mean, you could just get some thin PBT, or POM caps. Those all glow through, and, IMO, look pretty good to boot. Take a look at this, and see what I mean :P

thats pretty awesome. i might just do that.

|Specs in profile|

thats pretty awesome. i might just do that.

yup :)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I would convert to Dvorak, but I have to use my schools qwerty keyboards every day.

You could get AutoHotkey with a Dvorak script on a USB stick and plug it in any computer you use to change the keyboards layout.

I think Dvorak is superior, but matrix keyboard are also superior and nobody cares about those. They just continue using staggered layouts.

You could get AutoHotkey with a Dvorak script on a USB stick and plug it in any computer you use to change the keyboards layout.

I mean, it's pretty easy to change to Dvorak in the OS...

I think Dvorak is superior, but matrix keyboard are also superior and nobody cares about those. They just continue using staggered layouts.

hehe, #Planck!!! 

(I might be getting one pretty soon, but I don't know if I can deal with not having any numbers on the home layer, since I like to play CS, and I actually use the number keys...

Hey! New SIgnature!