What is "Low Voltage" RAM for? I understand it has low voltage, but ... why? What is the benefit? Is it a marketing gimmick?

Go to solution Solved by Vitalius,

It's for low power usage. I use a low voltage RAM kit in my file server, because I have it running 24/7. Every penny saved is a penny earned. 

its for ivy bridge or haswell. the controller is happier with lower V ram

Lower voltage can.

Usually means they can overclock better.

Awesome, thanks Glenwing. Interesting. For once, the "enthusiast" component is cheaper than the normal one. Overclocking = enthusiast imo.

Here are the two types of RAM:

Kingston's 10th anniversary Low voltage RAM

Kingston's 10th anniversary RAM

What is the point? And what is the difference aside from Low Voltage? Better overclocking (more voltage headroom)? If it is that, why is it cheaper?

Thanks,
Vitalius

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It's for low power usage. I use a low voltage RAM kit in my file server, because I have it running 24/7. Every penny saved is a penny earned. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Here are the two types of RAM:

Kingston's 10th anniversary Low voltage RAM

Kingston's 10th anniversary RAM

What is the point? And what is the difference aside from Low Voltage? Better overclocking (more voltage headroom)? If it is that, why is it cheaper?

Thanks,

Vitalius

server. 

Interesting. Thanks.

Is there any point in buying the normal RAM when the Low Voltage RAM is cheaper? Overclocking perhaps?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So Low Voltage can overclock better? Or normal RAM can?

† Christian Member †

Lower voltage can.

Awesome, thanks Glenwing. Interesting. For once, the "enthusiast" component is cheaper than the normal one. Overclocking = enthusiast imo.

† Christian Member †