Chrome OS not found?

Hi,

so I have a chromebook with ubuntu on it. When I tried to open it up today, it got to the normal screen (see picture 1) where I have to do Ctrl+alt+d to get into Chrome, and then get into Ubuntu. But the problem is that now a new screen shows up saying I dont have chrome installed (see picture 2) and I dont know what to do. My brother takes care of everything for me on the chromebook, since I dont understand how linux and Ubuntu really works, and I dont want to lose everything on my computer by resetting it. I have some important files on Ubuntu, and I really dont want to lose them, Is there a way to save the 

If you need anymore clarification, just ask! 

Best regards,

P.S. these pictures aren't mine, I found them on the internet so just ignore the writing on them

post-181399-0-94936400-1444223978.jpg

post-181399-0-52852500-1444223980.png

Hi,

so I have a chromebook with ubuntu on it. When I tried to open it up today, it got to the normal screen (see picture 1) where I have to do Ctrl+alt+d to get into Chrome, and then get into Ubuntu. But the problem is that now a new screen shows up saying I dont have chrome installed (see picture 2) and I dont know what to do. My brother takes care of everything for me on the chromebook, since I dont understand how linux and Ubuntu really works, and I dont want to lose everything on my computer by resetting it. I have some important files on Ubuntu, and I really dont want to lose them, Is there a way to save the 

If you need anymore clarification, just ask! 

Best regards,

So you've said that you have Ubuntu installed on your Chromebook. I don't know if you mean that you're dual-booting or if you only have Ubuntu on there. If the latter, it would make a lot of sense that the Chrome OS install wouldn't appear to be there if you have just told me that it shouldn't be.

You won't really lose anything on your Chrome OS install unless you haven't synced things to their respective services (which would be mainly Google Drive in this case)?

...I'm probably missing your point here. Are you saying that you can't boot into ubuntu?

Sig under construction.

Using Ubuntu, backup your data to a portable drive. Then use the os recovery tool from google to restore you laptop. Then salvage data from the backup.

That's what I would do. But your data will not be 100% perfect condition pre os failure.

So you've said that you have Ubuntu installed on your Chromebook. I don't know if you mean that you're dual-booting or if you only have Ubuntu on there. If the latter, it would make a lot of sense that the Chrome OS install wouldn't appear to be there if you have just told me that it shouldn't be.

You won't really lose anything on your Chrome OS install unless you haven't synced things to their respective services (which would be mainly Google Drive in this case)?

...I'm probably missing your point here. Are you saying that you can't boot into ubuntu?

Yes, the problem is that I cant boot into chrome, which allows me to get into Ubuntu. I dont know the technichal terms for this. I would get into chrome os, press ctrl+alt+t to get into crosh. In crosh I would type in "shell" and then type in "sudo_startunity" this would allow me to get into Ubuntu. Since I cant get into chrome os, I cant get into Ubuntu. This is basically my problem, hope this helps make the situation a bit clearer