Server not detecting HDDs?

chazat123

Hello, I have a HP ProLiant DL360 G5 and I have 2 HP SAS drives 72gb each.

After going through the Ubuntu installation disk I have reached the select hard drive stage.

It's not recognising the drives?

Do I need a RAID card even though I only want to install to one of the drives?

I'm very new to servers and am only testing as part of a project!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

pretty sure i've used the 2u variant of those at school.

and yes, you'll gonna have to head into the bios and configure raid before you can install.

as you start up it'll mention on the screen for a key to press to configure raid.

pretty sure i've used the 2u variant of those at school.

and yes, you'll gonna have to head into the bios and configure raid before you can install.

as you start up it'll mention on the screen for a key to press to configure raid.

Thanks for the reply  :) do I need a raid card for this then?

Thanks for the reply  :) do I need a raid card for this then?

theres a raid card built into the motherboard, its what you plugged your hard drives into.

oh great - thank you! what am i looking for then in the bios?  :) sorry I'm so new to this!!

i dont think its in the bios itself, its something else you have to press on startup, but i REALLY dont remember what anymore...

~snip~

Hey there chazat123,

Since the motherboard supports native hardware RAID, you should be able to easily configure it in the BIOS. Do check the manual of your motherboard, there should be a guide on how to configure your settings so you can install the OS onto a RAID array and then boot from it, just as @manikyath explained :)
It might be a good idea to plug each drive on an already working computer and check their S.M.A.R.T. statuses as well as for any bad sectors just to be on the safe side that your data will be safe. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there chazat123,

Since the motherboard supports native hardware RAID, you should be able to easily configure it in the BIOS. Do check the manual of your motherboard, there should be a guide on how to configure your settings so you can install the OS onto a RAID array and then boot from it, just as @manikyath explained :)
It might be a good idea to plug each drive on an already working computer and check their S.M.A.R.T. statuses as well as for any bad sectors just to be on the safe side that your data will be safe. :)

Captain_WD.

Hi, thanks for the advice - can I test the drives on my home PC which only supports SATA drives with the SAS backplane on the hard drives?

Hi, thanks for the advice - can I test the drives on my home PC which only supports SATA drives with the SAS backplane on the hard drives?

Sadly SATA controller does not support SAS drives (whereas SAS controller supports both SAS and SATA drives). You would need an additional controller or find a computer with a SAS controller. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Hi I can't find anything in the BIOS or in the post screen at all to do with storage. Should I buy a RAID card?

I'm afraid you should get either a RAID card with SAS ports or an adapter of some sort in order to connect the SAS drives to a SATA-only motherboard.

Captain_WD.