NEW IN THIS FIELD! PLEASE HELP ME BUILD MY OWN NAS

Go to solution Solved by Vitalius,

1. Get a cheap, low powered CPU (Intel Atoms or AMD APU's)

2. Get according motherboard with decent number of SATA connections that supports ECC RAM (AMD's usually do) and 16+GB of RAM with 2 or 4 DIMM Slots.

3. Get ECC RAM of 8GB or more (preferably 16GB).

4. Get a power efficient PSU (preferably 80Plus Silver or better). 

5. Buy decent (Either WD Reds or Seagates) 4TB drives (or whatever depending on your capacity requirements). 

6. Buy a 4GB+ USB drive. USB3.0 for the performance lulz. Absolutely not necessary but awesome regardless.

7. Install everything into a cheapo case. 

8. Install FreeNAS 8.3.1 onto the USB drive.

9. Plug said USB drive into the computer.

10. Boot into the FreeNAS 8.3.1 OS.

11. Set a default IP address via a temporary monitor/keyboard/mouse connected to the NAS. Then, get on another computer and set the NAS up via the GUI over the network (not at the computer) by way of the IP Address you gave it. 

12. Use your NAS to store, stream, or download files.

13. ???

14. PROFIT!!!

hey guys! i wanted to build a NAS . as i'm new in this field ,i've never ever built my own NAS .  Can you guys tell me all about NAS and the products and how to build it etc ? after looking into posts ,i maybe/can tell you my budget.

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Oh wow that title really coulnd't have been more obnoxious.

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

hey guys! i wanted to build a NAS . as i'm new in this field ,i've never ever built my own NAS .  Can you guys tell me all about NAS and the products and how to build it etc ? after looking into posts ,i maybe/can tell you my budget.

use wd red drives for your nas storage. they are very relieable.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

YOU DON'T NEED A POWERFUL CPU, MAYBE A CELERON WOULD BE BEST DEPENDING ON YOUR BUDGET.

When using hardware RAID or RAID 0, 1 or 10, a Celeron or a Sempron is indeed a viable option. If however you use RAID 5 or 6  as software RAID, a more powerful CPU is adviced.

hey guys! i also wanted to build a server! apart from building a NAS .for this topic also, the same information is needed! i want to know the parts ,how to build, etc etc! give  me a-z information if you can!

note: i've said give me a-z information if you can!

note:i'm totally new in building a server.

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

YOU DON'T NEED A POWERFUL CPU, MAYBE A CELERON WOULD BE BEST DEPENDING ON YOUR BUDGET AND SCENARIO.

what a coincidence! i just now bought a celeron!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COMING SOON

what a coincidence! i just now bought a celeron!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks guys!!

COMING SOON

Seagate Barracuda are also very good drives.

i'm a fan of both- SEAGATE and WD!

COMING SOON

1. Get a cheap, low powered CPU (Intel Atoms or AMD APU's)

2. Get according motherboard with decent number of SATA connections that supports ECC RAM (AMD's usually do) and 16+GB of RAM with 2 or 4 DIMM Slots.

3. Get ECC RAM of 8GB or more (preferably 16GB).

4. Get a power efficient PSU (preferably 80Plus Silver or better). 

5. Buy decent (Either WD Reds or Seagates) 4TB drives (or whatever depending on your capacity requirements). 

6. Buy a 4GB+ USB drive. USB3.0 for the performance lulz. Absolutely not necessary but awesome regardless.

7. Install everything into a cheapo case. 

8. Install FreeNAS 8.3.1 onto the USB drive.

9. Plug said USB drive into the computer.

10. Boot into the FreeNAS 8.3.1 OS.

11. Set a default IP address via a temporary monitor/keyboard/mouse connected to the NAS. Then, get on another computer and set the NAS up via the GUI over the network (not at the computer) by way of the IP Address you gave it. 

12. Use your NAS to store, stream, or download files.

13. ???

14. PROFIT!!!

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Here you go this is one that ive made up its the one I plan on building myself: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1sghb

Around $430 USD

Why cant there just be mini-itx am3 boards..

Prob because someone is going to put that $900 cpu in it haha

I am a happy wuffy

When using hardware RAID or RAID 0, 1 or 10, a Celeron or a Sempron is indeed a viable option. If however you use RAID 5 or 6  as software RAID, a more powerful CPU is adviced.

well, i can't rely on RAID 0 because i don't want to lose my date, even if it's fast!!

COMING SOON

i've posted it only once!!!

COMING SOON

Why cant there just be mini-itx am3 boards..

Prob because someone is going to put that $900 cpu in it haha

Yea I wish there was a mITX AM3 Board, id have a NAS in a Bitfenix Prodigy!

Noobie programer. :)

well, i can't rely on RAID 0 because i don't want to lose my date, even if it's fast!!

sorry.it should be data!!

COMING SOON

sorry.it should be data!!

You can always use the edit function!!

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

You can always use the edit function!!

i know! but was in a hurry! :p

COMING SOON

1. Get ECC RAM of 8GB or more (preferably 16GB).
  2. Buy a 4GB+ USB drive. USB3.0 for the performance lulz. Absolutely not necessary but awesome regardless.
  1. Why in the name of everything that is holy would he need 8GB of RAM?
  2. Lots of motherboards have trouble booting from a USB3.0 port

i know! but was in a hurry! :P

Or you were trying to get more post count.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

Get something like a Celeron G1610, a motherboard that supports the number of drives you wish to connect to it, throw in a stick of el-cheapo RAM and follow this tutorial to get Linux up and running on that machine.

Or you were trying to get more post count.

nope! i wasn't! i was having my dinner!

COMING SOON

1. Why in the name of everything that is holy would he need 8GB of RAM?
  2. Lots of motherboards have trouble booting from a USB3.0 port

Because ZFS requires 1 GB of RAM for every (roughly) 1TB of storage while 8GB is the preferred minimum for FreeNAS 8.3.1. I have 8GB in my NAS. Any less and it would be painfully slow. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Because ZFS requires 1 GB of RAM for every (roughly) 1TB of storage while 8GB is the preferred minimum for FreeNAS 8.3.1. I have 8GB in my NAS. Any less and it would be painfully slow. 

Didn't know you were going to use ZFS. Proceed. ;)