Computer not powering on!

Go to solution Solved by Bananasplit_00,

No LEDs, no fans, no sign that I did anything. I haven't got my hands on a dvi cable just yet so I haven't been able to hook my computer to a monitor yet.

first of, use the quote button for responses or else the person your responding to wont know you have done so, for the problem i would say something isnt plugged in right or broken PSU/ system power

Hi guys! So I started my first PC build a few days ago and right now I have everything installed that I need for a boot to the bios(CPU, ram, mobo, fan, psu). However, when I turn it on nothing happens. I already tested the psu, so I know that works, but nothing else has done anything when I power it on nothing happens at all. I tried to just short the power leads instead of using the switch, but that did nothing either. My motherboard, the MSI z170a Krait gaming, has 3 LEDs that tell you if the CPU, ram, or Gpu aren't working, but none of those come on. I removed the ram to see what would happen, but none of the LEDs turned on. Do I have a broken mobo?

P.S. I haven't been able to connect it to a monitor yet as I don't have a dvi cable, it's shipping, so is it possible the LEDs are broken and my CPU fan is as well?

Here's my part picker link : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ywxNbv

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Hello there. We're here to help.

So, does the PC wont show any sign of running at all?? No fans spinning, or any LEDs light up at all?? If the fans are spinning but it wont BOOT then you should take a look at all the power connectors and make sure that they all are properly connected and none are loose or anything. (Though, I am sure you've already checked this, but just a side note)

Hi guys! So I started my first PC build a few days ago and right now I have everything installed that I need for a boot to the bios(CPU, ram, mobo, fan, psu). However, when I turn it on nothing happens. I already tested the psu, so I know that works, but nothing else has done anything when I power it on nothing happens at all. I tried to just short the power leads instead of using the switch, but that did nothing either. My motherboard, the MSI z170a Krait gaming, has 3 LEDs that tell you if the CPU, ram, or Gpu aren't working, but none of those come on. I removed the ram to see what would happen, but none of the LEDs turned on. Do I have a broken mobo?

P.S. I haven't been able to connect it to a monitor yet as I don't have a dvi cable, it's shipping, so is it possible the LEDs are broken and my CPU fan is as well?

Here's my part picker link : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ywxNbv

So nothing powers on or you monitor isn't coming on at all?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

And it is a little uncommon for a new board to have broken LEDs, although its not unheard of. So, I would just suggest some basic troubleshooting but you should definetely first connect to a monitor to be really able to figure out whats going on.

No LEDs, no fans, no sign that I did anything. I haven't got my hands on a dvi cable just yet so I haven't been able to hook my computer to a monitor yet.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Should I wait until the Dvi cable comes before doing further troubleshooting? Could it possibly give me some info?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

first of, use the quote button for responses or else the person your responding to wont know you have done so, for the problem i would say something isnt plugged in right or broken PSU/ system power

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Should I wait until the Dvi cable comes before doing further troubleshooting? Could it possibly give me some info?

that could yeild some info yes but if literaly nothing is happening make sure you have power first with a multimeter

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

. I have tested the psu and know it works, so maybe something just isn't plugged in tight?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

that could yeild some info yes but if literaly nothing is happening make sure you have power first with a multimeter

Where on the mobo do I test for power?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Where on the mobo do I test for power?

test the PSUs conectors

. I have tested the psu and know it works, so maybe something just isn't plugged in tight?

probably, or you havent turned the PSU on(or dead mobo)

Builds:

Spoiler

Did you plug in the 4+4pin CPU connector and the large 24 pin plug all the way in until it clicked? because it sounds very much like you either have the PSU switched off or those plus are not plugged in correctly.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

The power connectors didn't click but I couldn't push them in all the way.

Did you plug in the 4+4pin CPU connector and the large 24 pin plug all the way in until it clicked? because it sounds very much like you either have the PSU switched off or those plus are not plugged in correctly.

. I just took out all the power connectors and plugged them back in and it turned on! I think the one that plugs the mobo power into the psu was a little loose. The motherboard lit up and the fans turned on. Thanks everyone for the help! I've been stressing over this for quite a while now.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

The power connectors didn't click but I couldn't push them in all the way. . I just took out all the power connectors and plugged them back in and it turned on! I think the one that plugs the mobo power into the psu was a little loose. The motherboard lit up and the fans turned on. Thanks everyone for the help! I've been stressing over this for quite a while now.

Easy mistake to make, it's all about that click! Happy we could help, sometimes contacts don't quite make it on components and you just need to take them out and re-seat them, had it happen to my ram before lmao thought I had killed my ram sticks but it wasn't clicked in fully.  :lol:

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken