Earbuds vs Headphones

Hi guys, so I think the soundcard that came with my motherboard(maximus formula III) supremeFX is broken.

The audio i get  is flawless but my mic on skype or any other voip software it makes very weird buzzing static sounds. I use razer carcharias headset and Ive tested it on my brother's computer onboard and it works fine on his. The buzzing static noise gets louder when I use graphic intensive software and its only audible on the left cup - (obviously i have to enable listen in option in mic to hear it).

So I've been looking into getting a used sound card like xonar st(x) and new earbuds or headphones to go along with it. I could just upgrade the whole cpu and motherboard and use the onboard sound but Im not really in a need for a more powerful system as i only play league and my i5 760 4ghz is fine for that task. Also, haswell sucks. So my question is, is there a significant difference in sound quality of earbuds vs headphones? I was only looking into headphones until i came across IEMs and was thinking if Im gonna spend tons of money on new sound gear id rather get something i can use portable as well. I will have to get a clip on mic if Im going the earbud route vs something like modmic for headphones. I watch tons of movies, TV shows, and listening to classics and KPOP. Also I have an iphone5. Mainly Im interested on the UE900, Shure 535 LE vs Sennheiser HD598. Please help me decide or suggest other options. Thank you.

Sound quality doesn't depend on the form factor, just on how well they design the product.

However, I would recommend you not buy a high end soundcard with high end IEMs. There's a few complex reasons we can list if you're interested in technical jargon.

So how would you get the best sound possible with IEMs for desktop use?

So how would you get the best sound possible with IEMs for desktop use?

Some kind of external DAC + Amp (ie an external "sound" "card"). There's lots of recommendations to make if you specify a budget?  :)

For most purposes on board sound is sufficient, however you appear to be having issues with your on board for the mic.  Seeing as it is very hard for the average end user to pinpoint the cause of this static installing another soundcard that uses the same interface and is inside you pc case may not stop interference.  I would recommend getting a cheap usb soundcard.

EDIT: what he said ^^ + when you say classics do you mean 80's and earlier or do you mean classical like 19th century and earlier?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I listen to piano classics mainly. Also, my budget is around $100 just for the soundcard. Budget for the headphone/earbuds are around $400

If I was in your position I'd probably be looking at this:

http://au.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x-fi-surround-5-1-pro

I have the older lx version and love it.

Chopin also rocks pretty hard. :)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

$400 headphone budget? I'd get Beyerdynamic DT880's, then get a powerful enough amp for them.

Sennheiser Momentum's if you also want portable use.

I suggest going to a headphone store or something to try them out, I doubt stores like Bestbuy will have good headphones or even let you try them.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

I'd get Beyerdynamic DT880's, then get a powerful enough amp for them.

Higher ohm'd headphones don't require more power. They require more voltage. :p

I'd grab an E10 for you "soundcard" budget, AND IT'S ON SALE: http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sdtid=6172262&sku=FIIOE10&omid=200&ref=cj

Higher ohm'd headphones don't require more power. They require more voltage. :P

I'd grab an E10 for you "soundcard" budget, AND IT'S ON SALE: http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sdtid=6172262&sku=FIIOE10&omid=200&ref=cj

Basically what I meant though haha.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Higher ohm'd headphones don't require more power. They require more voltage. :P

does the e10 have a mic in?

does the e10 have a mic in?

No.... oh right, that's why op needs a soundcard (don't cross your threads boys).

No.... oh right, that's why op needs a soundcard (don't cross your threads boys).

I did that before, Two very similar threads today.

Well this is a predicament. I can't suggest a soundcard because of the output impedance, and I can't suggest an external DAC+amp because I don't know of any with a mic in...

So, an E10 for music, and this for the mic?  :lol: