Skylake, or 980 Ti?

I'm looking at buying some hardware. I'm currently looking at either buying an Intel Core i7 6700K with new motherboards and 16GB DDR4 RAM. (Total $695) -OR- getting a Geforce 980 Ti ($650-$700) and I just wanted to get the views and opinions of the LTT forums before I make a decision on which to buy.

I'm currently running an Intel Core i7 3770(Non-K), with 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM with a GeForce 780 Ti.

I primarily use the computer for gaming, and that's pretty much why I'm considering getting a 980 Ti instead of the better CPU/RAM

In short should I get: 

Intel Core i7-6700K ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559 )

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2133MHz ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231884 )

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII RANGER LGA 1151 Intel Z170 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132586 )

Or a GeForce 980 Ti, and which one is the best bang for my buck, or are they all the same?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this is in the wrong place!

Don't get a 980 Ti, wait for pascal and HBM VRAM. 

If the next line of GPUs wasn't going to have radically different ram, then I would say get the GPU, but they're shaking things up this time around. WAIT.

Also skylake + GDDR5 is great future proofing. 

What resolution are you gaming on.

3x1080p, get the 980TI.

3x1080P indeed :P

If the next line of GPUs wasn't going to have radically different ram, then I would say get the GPU, but they're shaking things up this time around. WAIT.

They don't seem to have any kind of set release schedule for the Pascal GPU's, (I assume they'll be 1000 series?) Only that it's coming in 2016. And I'd rather not end up one of those "Just wait a few more months til the next one comes out" people, they usually end up several generations out of date and still waiting for the next "big thing"

Right now it's looking like I'm gunna get a 980Ti. Then around Tax Return time I'll probably pick up the Skylake/DDR4/Mobo  stuff. 

Thanks for replying. I'm not going to order until later today, so If anyone else wants to add their 2 cents I'd be happy to hear it. 

15 yard penalty for the use of "future proof"

Buy what works the best, not looking into a crystal ball.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3x1080P indeed :P

They don't seem to have any kind of set release schedule for the Pascal GPU's, (I assume they'll be 1000 series?) Only that it's coming in 2016. And I'd rather not end up one of those "Just wait a few more months til the next one comes out" people, they usually end up several generations out of date and still waiting for the next "big thing"

Right now it's looking like I'm gunna get a 980Ti. Then around Tax Return time I'll probably pick up the Skylake/DDR4/Mobo  stuff. 

Thanks for replying. I'm not going to order until later today, so If anyone else wants to add their 2 cents I'd be happy to hear it. 

This isn't just a step up, this is the NEW STANDARD. This isn't like the 700s switching the 900s. But yeah you do have 10 months to wait. I'm upgrading my 750ti to a 970 in the mean time, but I am not going to buy the best of the best to have the next mid tiered card blow mine away. 

HBM is gonna be a huge deal for gaming. 

This isn't just a step up, this is the NEW STANDARD. This isn't like the 700s switching the 900s. But yeah you do have 10 months to wait. I'm upgrading my 750ti to a 970 in the mean time, but I am not going to buy the best of the best to have the next mid tiered card blow mine away. 

HBM is gonna be a huge deal for gaming. 

I bet 10$ it's just going to be the same 25% improvement in gaming as always, given a similar price. Remember, the 980 was king for quite a while.... until the titan x / 980ti just crushed it to it's knees.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

The shrink to 16 nm seems to be what makes Pascal most exciting after all these years stuck at 28 nm.

The shrink to 16 nm seems to be what makes Pascal most exciting after all these years stuck at 28 nm.

This is pretty much what I am trying to get across. 

If I were you, I wont buy anything now.

Your system is still a good,compared to skylake there will be only a small performance difference(according to benchmarks in the web). 780 Ti is still a good card, you may have to turn down few settings in a triple monitor set up though.

But if you really need an upgrade, then go with 980ti