Shooting at Umpqua Community College

ObeseWalrus

My condolences to the family's and I will hold them in my thoughts and prayers during this hard time.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

This is becoming quite the trend. Seriously, I'm saddened and angry by this, and I really do mean that sincerely. It's just that this is so common now that I can't even be shocked by it any more.

This is becoming quite the trend. Seriously, I'm saddened and angry by this, and I really do mean that sincerely. It's just that this is so common now that I can't even be shocked by it any more.

If it were anywhere else, I would be shocked, but when I hear 'mass shooting' and 'USA', I find it hard to be surprised. I'm sure people over there will once again argue that the problem is that there are not enough guns.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

If it were anywhere else, I would be shocked, but when I hear 'mass shooting' and 'USA', I find it hard to be surprised. I'm sure people over there will once again argue that the problem is that there are not enough guns.

I agree with your point, but let's not bring that discussion to this thread.

I feel so sorry for the families and friends. I was just on Reddit (I'm a bit new there) and I'm scrolling through and I see some victim accounts. Some who were in the building next door. Some who had no idea if their family members of friends were safe or not. It really made me think. It could happen to any one of us.

What's your suggestion is then? Take away guns from people who are in contact with psychiatrists? 

He uploaded video moth ago in which he practically said that he doesn't have a safety net, everyone mocks him (just read this thread.) and he talks about "normies." I had to look what it means. He even made one video which he named "An actually positive video."

Gun was just means to an end.

When the going gets weirdthe weird turn pro.

What your suggestion is then? Take away guns from people who are in contact with psychiatrists? 

He uploaded video moth ago in which he practically said that he doesn't have a safety net, everyone mocks him (just read this thread.) and he talks about "normies." I had to look what it means. He even made one video which he named "An actually positive video."

Gun was just means to an end.

Unfortunately I don't think there is an answer other than a complete change of culture in the USA. Taking guns away won't help much. Perhaps a little, but I doubt it would change much. Adding more guns to the mix is not going to help either.

It's the "fuck you, I'm going down and I'm taking a whole bunch of people with me" mentality that people for some reason seem to get when they live in the USA that does this.

I have no idea what causes this. I don't know enough about that country make a call on the reasons, but something is triggering it and it's not getting any better.

Unfortunately I don't think there is an answer other than a complete change of culture in the USA. Taking guns away won't help much. Perhaps a little, but I doubt it would change much. Adding more guns to the mix is not going to help either.

It's the "fuck you, I'm going down and I'm taking a whole bunch of people with me" mentality that people for some reason seem to get when they live in the USA that does this.

I have no idea what causes this. I don't know enough about that country make a call on the reasons, but something is triggering it and it's not getting any better.

We're talking about country that expel people from schools up to a year for bringing G.I. Joe in school, cuz "it shows alarming development of aggression." Country where you can ruin your life before it even started for some petty reason, like smoking a joint. We talk about country that is built on fear and mistrust.

We talk about country where some are born better that others, country that sees affluenza as a condition. We talk about country which is more keen to destroy than build.

Nobody really does.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

We're talking about country that expel people from schools up to a year for bringing G.I. Joe in school, cuz "it shows alarming development of aggression." Country where you can ruin your life before it even started for some petty reason, like smoking a joint. We talk about country that is built on fear and mistrust.

We talk about country where some are born better that others, country that sees affluenza as a condition.

I could explain to you why the US is currently this way but not here on this thread. It will spark a disrespectful argument to what this thread is supposed to be for.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Nobody really does.

The kid seemed like an Eliot Rodger to me. Especially if he was using the word 'normie'.

We talk about country where some are born better that others, country that sees affluenza as a condition. We talk about country which is more keen to destroy than build.

There are much worse countries than the USA when it comes to things like these, say North Korea, but surely something is happening there to spark all that anger....

There are much worse countries than the USA when it comes to things like these, say North Korea, but surely something is happening there to spark all that anger....

I think your unedited version was better. We Finns have a few cases ourselves and not least because we're told our whole lives that it's a lottery win to be born here. It also justifies almost any cruelty imaginable because "we don't have such horrors here."

I've been tortured myself just "to see how tough guy I really am." But that kind of shit doesn't happen here. Ask anyone.

When people are trying to prevent these events, they actually create them. That's the basic rule of sociology.

he's a tripfag from /r9k/

I have no clue what that means. :P

I never went to r9k,but I did go to v9k for like the first year when that was a thing. The place became full of assholes like that.

I think your unedited version was better. We Finns have a few cases ourselves and not least because we're told our whole lives that it's a lottery win to be born here. It also justifies almost any cruelty imaginable because "we don't have such horrors here."

I've been tortured myself just "to see how tough guy I really am." But that kind of shit doesn't happen here. Ask anyone.

Yeah, I edited my response because it would start an argument that is not needed in this thread. But yeah, when people are told they live in the greatest country on earth and their lives suck, they fall into despair since they can't fathom that maybe, somewhere out there, there's place that's actually better.

Maybe the best example of Thomas theorem is the documentary The Forecaster. It just aired few days ago and man what bullshit it was. People though that he's some sort of genius for creating some algorithm based on pi, when in reality he just managed to convince everyone it works. This guy created the bubbles he prognosticated. I couldn't even watch that documentary to the end.

It is being reported on the radio and the New York Post that the assailant made his victims stand up and he asked their religion. If they said Christian, he shot them in the head. If they said something else or said nothing, he shot them in the leg. Anyone else hear this?

I think there are multiple factors at work that's creating much of the social strife in the us.

First I believe with each passing generation we are becoming less mentally resiliant and unable to handle stress. People freak over the smallest things. The anime psychopass is an example of what in referring to.

Second as a nation, though Europe seems to be jumping on this trend too, we have an outrage problem. People cannot just let things slide they have to be outraged and when someone disagrees with them the only logical thing to do is increase the outrage. It becomes an outrage pissing contest.

Three we seem to have impulse issues. A lot of violence isn't premeditated it's spur of the moment. I really think anger management techniques being taught in school would be beneficial.

Fourth we are pretty divided these days. Americans have a history of bickering with each other, our founders disagreed a lot, but we usually could still be friendly but that is gone. Both sides are equally guilty yet they each act like they are the better all the while doing the very same things they condemn.

There are others but those are the four main root causes I have come to notice.

I think there are multiple factors at work that's creating much of the social strife in the us.

First I believe with each passing generation we are becoming less mentally resiliant and unable to handle stress. People freak over the smallest things. The anime psychopass is an example of what in referring to.

Second as a nation, though Europe seems to be jumping on this trend too, we have an outrage problem. People cannot just let things slide they have to be outraged and when someone disagrees with them the only logical thing to do is increase the outrage. It becomes an outrage pissing contest.

Three we seem to have impulse issues. A lot of violence isn't premeditated it's spur of the moment. I really think anger management techniques being taught in school would be beneficial.

Fourth we are pretty divided these days. Americans have a history of bickering with each other, our founders disagreed a lot, but we usually could still be friendly but that is gone. Both sides are equally guilty yet they each act like they are the better all the while doing the very same things they condemn.

Well, you're describing human nature here. These attitudes are found throughout the world, not just the USA.

It is being reported on the radio and the New York Post that the assailant made his victims stand up and he asked their religion. If they said Christian, he shot them in the head. If they said something else or said nothing, he shot them in the leg. Anyone else hear this?

I haven't heard that. But the media reported the same thing in the Columbine shooting, and it was never supported by any evidence.

If it is true, then it just goes to show that insane people will kill for insane reasons.

That is pretty much what human nature is like. It is like that everywhere, not just in the US.

However, it is not a generational problem. If we look at the numbers then humans are becoming less and less violent with every generation.

I can recommend reading The Better Angels of Our Nature by Steven Pinker. I gives a pretty good analysis of why violence have been in decline all throughout human history.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

It's a damn shame. We had our share of gun killings here in my city and let me tell you having to find out if some of your friends are ok is something I do not wish upon anyone, hope nobody here is in that situation.

-------

Current Rig

-------