Air or water?

Go to solution Solved by Atmos,

The Noctua NH-D15 is one of the quietest and best performing coolers on the market, period.

The best performing cooler, is the Reeven Okeanos, but its loud, like, pretty damn loud.

The raijintek is a great cooler, but expensive for what you pay. If you're willing to, it will perform about the same, if not a bit better if you drop some good fans on it than a noctua nh-d15. But it also comes with more points of failure, adding in a pump to the mixture.

I've gone water, and haven't looked back, but as a PSA about 30 minutes ago I finished cleaning my 240x60mm rad for the 4790k, because i noticed I was hitting 75c on light use. Turns out, living in a house with 4 cats and 3 dogs means no matter how hard i try, after two months its going to be more dusty than the vatican secret library.

I didnt really know in what category to post it but anyway. I am going to build a new pc and i want to know, wich is better. Air or water cooled. My choices are : air cooled noctua nh d15, cooler master v8 gts and cooler master 612 v2 and for my water cooled, i want a raijintek triton ( the only one i know that can make a whole loop with cpu and gpu combo, tell me if there is other one. For water cooling, i will start with the cpu loop and after upgrade it to cpu and gpu loop.

Air

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

The NH-D15 is one of the best coolers on the market, Id definitely go for it ^_^

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I didnt really know in what category to post it but anyway. I am going to build a new pc and i want to know, wich is better. Air or water cooled. My choices are : air cooled noctua nh d15, cooler master v8 gts and cooler master 612 v2 and for my water cooled, i want a raijintek triton ( the only one i know that can make a whole loop with cpu and gpu combo, tell me if there is other one. For water cooling, i will start with the cpu loop and after upgrade it to cpu and gpu loop.

Can't really suggest rijintek as I have never used them but the NH D14 is a great cooler so I imagine the 15 to be just as good or better. If you want to go watercooling then you need to go custom, sorry but once you start adding things you'll end up just buying hardline tubing, big rads and D5 pumps etc in the end so just go custom.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Air = Easy to install, less maintenance, and easy to clean the dust. 

Water = Require much research to find the right parts, more maintenance, and not easy to clean it out at all, and possible chances of getting leak. 

So, my vote is Air. 

The Noctua NH-D15 is one of the quietest and best performing coolers on the market, period.

The best performing cooler, is the Reeven Okeanos, but its loud, like, pretty damn loud.

The raijintek is a great cooler, but expensive for what you pay. If you're willing to, it will perform about the same, if not a bit better if you drop some good fans on it than a noctua nh-d15. But it also comes with more points of failure, adding in a pump to the mixture.

I've gone water, and haven't looked back, but as a PSA about 30 minutes ago I finished cleaning my 240x60mm rad for the 4790k, because i noticed I was hitting 75c on light use. Turns out, living in a house with 4 cats and 3 dogs means no matter how hard i try, after two months its going to be more dusty than the vatican secret library.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

what are you doing for your computer and are you going to overclock?

yep

yep

Custom loop will get you further that an air cooler when overclocking.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd