CPU OC Question

In a lot of Linus's overclocking guides (if not all), he says adding voltage lowers the life span of a cpu. About how many years is he talking about if I dont overvolt (is that what you call it?), and with it? 

after 1.350 volts the chip will degrade, It'll be alive for a good amount of years still. 

Life is relative. There are no absolutes. I've had my 4770k at 1.31v since launch and it shows few signs of weakening. I have no doubt that it will live a shorter life, but each chip is different even within SKUs.

after 1.350 volts the chip will degrade, It'll be alive for a good amount of years still. 

Source to back up those exact numbers plz?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

So many confounding variables with this. What CPU? What cooler? What length of time are you looking to get?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

In a lot of Linus's overclocking guides (if not all), he says adding voltage lowers the life span of a cpu. About how many years is he talking about if I dont overvolt (is that what you call it?), and with it? 

Dunno, I hear most of the time it's heat then volts then both then I just give up caring. You will most likely upgrade or replace the build before the CPU dies so who cares.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

So many confounding variables with this. What CPU? What cooler? What length of time are you looking to get?

Im currently looking at the i7-4790k or 6700k for my first rig, a cooler master nepton 240m, and i dont want to have to upgrade my cpu for at least 4 years maybe?

Skylake is just the latest, not the greatest. If it was the greatest it would be worth the cost but since it's not the only reason to pay extra for it is to have the latest. The 4790K will perform the same in games as the 6700K and DDR4 ram offers no advantages over the DDR3 in games. In a workstation there are other intel CPUs that outperform the 6700K for less money. The Z87 board was the shit when it cam out, the Z170 will suffer the same fate. but only you can decide whats important as it's your purchase. I'd go with the 4790K and take it to as far as 1.25 volts will take you with a liquid cooler. Might not break any records but if it overclocks you'll be happy. Your GPU and other components matter more for gaming than the CPU. Especially with a beast like the 4790K.

Skylake is just the latest, not the greatest. If it was the greatest it would be worth the cost but since it's not the only reason to pay extra for it is to have the latest. The 4790K will perform the same in games as the 6700K and DDR4 ram offers no advantages over the DDR3 in games. In a workstation there are other intel CPUs that outperform the 6700K for less money. The Z87 board was the shit when it cam out, the Z170 will suffer the same fate. but only you can decide whats important as it's your purchase. I'd go with the 4790K and take it to as far as 1.25 volts will take you with a liquid cooler. Might not break any records but if it overclocks you'll be happy. Your GPU and other components matter more for gaming than the CPU. Especially with a beast like the 4790K.

I wont be just gaming. I intend on game recording and video editing. I heard i7s are better than i5s for rendering and stuff. Also, ill probably only be playing games like Rocket League. 

For a workstation the i7 trumps the i5. But there are Xeons that beat the i7 so I would check them out too.

For a workstation the i7 trumps the i5. But there are Xeons that beat the i7 so I would check them out too.

You said there are CPUs that outperform the 6700k in workstations, for less. May I get some examples?

Look into the 5930k and 5960x.

Oops , wrong ones LOL. Away from my PC so don't have them available at the moment. I'm more of a game oriented PC user. There the 4700k is king.

Look into the 5930k and 5960x. 

5960x? Umm, no. 5930k? Nope. Thanks anyway.

Source to back up those exact numbers plz?

There is no source... its written in stone. Anyone you ask for Haswell Chips will say the exact same thing, On air you want to stick under 1.3 AIO under 1.35 and custom under 1.4

Linus has said it as well as many forum members. Its just something you know, Don't go above 1.35 on a haswell chip. But here's one link with minimal searching

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273103-29-dangerous-voltages

I wont be just gaming. I intend on game recording and video editing. I heard i7s are better than i5s for rendering and stuff. Also, ill probably only be playing games like Rocket League. 

Just get an i7-5820K and one of the more entry level X99 boards.

The 5820K I can usually find for within $20 of the 6700K, and has two extra cores and four total extra threads. There's NO POINT to a 6700K unless you want a feature specific to the Z170 boards, which I've never run into anyone wanting.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

There is no source... its written in stone. Anyone you ask for Haswell Chips will say the exact same thing, On air you want to stick under 1.3 AIO under 1.35 and custom under 1.4

Linus has said it as well as many forum members. Its just something you know, Don't go above 1.35 on a haswell chip. But here's one link with minimal searching

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273103-29-dangerous-voltages

Great argument, "it is that value because it is, period". Very convincing....

Should change the phrase to "over 1.35v I THINK the chip will degrade". People just throw some random numbers around here, but I'm yet to see someone back up their claims. Personally, I think you shouldn't go over 1.3v at all times, period.... because I just find that a good number, for absolutely no reason at all. Above that, the chip will degrade with the years.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

100Hz won't change your gaming experience, even in benchmarks like Cinebench your not really doing much. At the point you're looking to cross the 1.3v mark you're *usually* looking to add that last 100, I have to agree that unless you're doing it for giggles there isn't much point.

Great argument, "it is that value because it is, period". Very convincing....

Should change the phrase to "over 1.35v I THINK the chip will degrade". People just throw some random numbers around here, but I'm yet to see someone back up their claims. Personally, I think you shouldn't go over 1.3v at all times, period.... because I just find that a good number, for absolutely no reason at all. Above that, the chip will degrade with the years.

Incorrect, Its a statement made by many people so its not a think

So if your going to be a fucking douche-bag over it get the fuck out.

Here another link for you. 

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/haswell-max-safe-voltage-under-water.206840/

Haswell does not like voltage at all. Why do you think no one EVER suggests using Prime 95 with a haswell chip? 

A few other people will also tell you the recommended MAX voltage is 1.3 But Intel claims its safe for 1.4 which that is with an average chip. The Silicon Lottery once again comes into effect.