Disc PC games?

kingdomtim

Honestly I only have one question. I want to play portal 2 on my newly built gaming PC. I have a disc version of it. Do I have to have it in the optical drive at all times if I wanna play portal 2 or what?

if you have a game code you can usually activate them on steam, not familiar with portal 2 but its worth a try 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

Honestly I only have one question. I want to play portal 2 on my newly built gaming PC. I have a disc version of it. Do I have to have it in the optical drive at all times if I wanna play portal 2 or what?

I can't confirm it but I think you can install it via a CD key given to you in the game case, on Steam. 

I had the disk copy of portal and downloaded it via CD key. 

No. Game disks contain a code and the install files. No need to keep a disk in. #PCMASTERRACE

i wish physical games were still a thing

Fallout 4 

LTT's Tumblr Consultant 

i wish physical games were still a thing

I don't, was horrible... but each to their own....

Friends borrowed shit (without asking, cos they saw it, figured it was okay) to never return, if it was, scratched as fuck, unreadable.

If you didn't lend it out, stupid family thought it was something else, and put it INSIDE something elses case, never to be found or used OR MENTIONED again.

"Where did this CD go?"

Typical Response - I don't know, where YOU left it...? (If I left it anywhere, its in MY ROOM with MY CD's)

Then after two years you finally find it again, and its unreadable because someone used it by itself, as a coaster, and you didn't know....and now it wont work.

Then there is the actual device that runs them, destroying them over time...

^And many other instances where you'd wish for something else to be the normal standard of content delivery, thank god we are there!

Fuck Discs, fuck em in their tiny circular holes!

But I'm also the late 80's guy, so I may have just had to deal with this longer than others....

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I don't, was horrible... but each to their own....

Friends borrowed shit (without asking, cos they saw it, figured it was okay) to never return, if it was, scratched as fuck, unreadable.

If you didn't lend it out, stupid family thought it was something else, and put it INSIDE something elses case, never to be found or used OR MENTIONED again.

"Where did this CD go?"

Typical Response - I don't know, where YOU left it...? (If I left it anywhere, its in MY ROOM with MY CD's)

Then after two years you finally find it again, and its unreadable because someone used it by itself, as a coaster, and you didn't know....and now it wont work.

Then there is the actual device that runs them, destroying them over time...

^And many other instances where you'd wish for something else to be the normal standard of content delivery, thank god we are there!

Fuck Discs, fuck em in their tiny circular holes!

But I'm also the late 80's guy, so I may have just had to deal with this longer than others....

that sounds like a very specific experience with discs.. no doubt digital distribution is eons better for the PC, but physical media was one of the only reasons gamers were interested in consoles, and the DRM and "always online" thing is pushing everyone away from consoles. 

Fallout 4 

LTT's Tumblr Consultant