$500 Server/NAS Help

Octavialicious

yoyo, for my birthday I decided I want to build a basic server for home use. It will most likely be a NAS or FTP server, but it is undecided. I pulled up some parts on ebay, what do you guys think?

- FX-6100 used $60 

- GA-78LMT-USB3 $54

- 2x OCZ 1333Mhz 4GB (8GB) $60 ($30 each)

- Cooler Master T4  $18

- CX-430 $40

- Rosewill FBM-02 $30

- Random ATI Card for output $5

Storage:

I am planning on getting 2x WD Red 2TB's, and I will put them in RAID 1 to prevent data loss. So 4TB space, but 2TB usable. They will cost $120 each

The total puts me at around $530, give or take a few dollars.

PLEASE READ BEFORE READING:

- AM3+ is terrible for gaming sure, but the FX-6100 is still a good processor for the price and will handle NAS fine

- 78LMT-USB3 is nothing special, is simply micro-atx

- as mentioned above, I want an micro-atx build

- old xeons are a better value, but they are usually standard atx

- cx-430 sucks, but it is cheap and fine for light workloads

Feel free to recommend a different CPU + mobo combo, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

(Sorry for no PCP, it's ebay sooo.....)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

If you want something that cheap and used consider getting a used dell or hp server, there normally much faster that that for the price. Something like a dell poweredge r410 can be bought for under 500 and is much better than the build you have listed. If you don't like the rack form factor you can get other that are tower systems like the T410. 

If you want something cheaper a poweredge 2950 is a good buy at around 200 and then put some drives in it. If you are only using it as a nas consider something like a 2 bay nas like the   NETGEAR ReadyNAS 102. Its much cheaper and uses less power.

If you want something that cheap and used consider getting a used dell or hp server, there normally much faster that that for the price. Something like a dell poweredge r410 can be bought for under 500 and is much better than the build you have listed. If you don't like the rack form factor you can get other that are tower systems like the T410. 

If you want something cheaper a poweredge 2950 is a good buy at around 200 and then put some drives in it. If you are only using it as a nas consider something like a 2 bay nas like the   NETGEAR ReadyNAS 102. Its much cheaper and uses less power.

Wow! Found a 2950 with dual xeons, 16GB, 2TB, and a cheap gpu for $200 :D

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

-snip-

What OS are you planning on running on the NAS?

As stated above, the used servers on ebay are dirt cheap. I myself got a 24 bay SuperMicro Chassis (empty with PSUs) for $200. Watch the shipping though, servers are really heavy and not cheap to ship (Luckily that SuperMicro chassis is in a company that's only 10min away from my house)

What OS are you planning on running on the NAS?

As stated above, the used servers on ebay are dirt cheap. I myself got a 24 bay SuperMicro Chassis (empty with PSUs) for $200.

dunno, not too sure. Some Linux distro or windows server would probably be the best, but I am leaning towards win 7 as I am more comfortable with it

dunno, not too sure. Some Linux distro or windows server would probably be the best, but I am leaning towards win 7 as I am more comfortable with it

Windows 7 should work plenty fine since it doesn't seem to be feeding out multiple users. Good luck with the build though. Be prepared for how large the servers can be though...the 24 bay one I got is larger than my PC case...

I'm not a fan of westmere xeons (at that price they are most certainly westmere or older) They run hot and their very power inefficient compared to a modern system. 

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

I'm not a fan of westmere xeons (at that price they are most certainly westmere or older) They run hot and their very power inefficient compared to a modern system. 

hm, I'm loving my Westmeres tbh. Power efficiency is meh, but for 2 $70 processors to compete with a 5960X is absurd :D

hm, I'm loving my Westmeres tbh. Power efficiency is meh, but for 2 $70 processors to compete with a 5960X is absurd :D

I am willing to bet they don't I recently picked up 2 E5 2665's and the 2 of them together are needed to hit the speed of a 5960x

Edit for reasons.

Mostly because of it's massive GHz improvment over the 2665's as well as the IPC improvments thet came since the 2665's launched.

I was able to get them for $100 each (they are engineering samples)

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

I would suggest learning how to use something like debian or cent os with the poweredges(freenas can be used but their raid cards aren't built for zfs)

Win 7 isn't great for servers and it costs 100 and is getting old and doesn't support smb 3

Are you paying for your power. If yes buy a 2 bay Netgear or synology other other nas, if no buy a used poweredge.

if you get an actual server board I would use Xen or ESXi that way you can try out a bunch of OS's in VM's and still have one up 100% of the time as a server. (its what I'm doing with mine it's a ton of fun too tinker with)

I am willing to bet they don't I recently picked up 2 E5 2665's and the 2 of them together are needed to hit the speed of a 5960x

Edit for reasons.

Mostly because of it's massive GHz improvment over the 2665's as well as the IPC improvments thet came since the 2665's launched.

I was able to get them for $100 each (they are engineering samples)

2665.... Did you even glance at my sig?

Storage:

I am planning on getting 2x WD Red 2TB's, and I will put them in RAID 1 to prevent data loss. So 4TB space, but 2TB usable. They will cost $120 each

Watch for sales. The 3TB WD Red's go on sale for $99 pretty regularly through newegg and amazon. Not only that, but you can pick up the 3TB Red's for about $120 all the time.

If you don't have a place you can put this server, where it's away from everyone else, DO NOT get the 2950.  They are LOUD, even at idle.  Also, later on in the thread you mentioned possibly using Windows 7 on the 2950 -- don't, as Windows 7 is limited to one CPU, so the second will go unused.  You'll need to use Windows server, some form of Linux / BSD, or a hypervisor (MS's Hyper-V, VMware ESXi, or XenServer).

If you want a Xeon processor in a system that's fairly cheap *AND QUIET*, go for an HP Z800.  There is one on eBay (as of this writing) for $415 with free shipping : http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Z800-Workstation-1x-HC-Xeon-X5675-3-06GHz-8GB-500GB-w-Win-7-Quadro-2000-/371451628683?hash=item567c3e0c8b

It's an excellent system for use with ESXi and pcipassthrough (I have this same system).  I have a WHS2011 VM, and I've passed an eSATA controller (which I added), the onboard 6 port SAS/SATA controller, and a USB3 controller (which I also added).  This VM serves as my storage (5 1TB SATA HDDs with Stablebit Drivepool), Plex Media Server, and Sonarr / sabnzb.  I also have a 'gaming' VM set up, which has a Radeon 6970 and a pair of USB ports attached, and a third VM with just a video card connected to a projector for tabletop RPG gaming.

It's an excellent setup, can hold four 3.5" SAS/SATA HDD's internally, and if you remove the CD-ROM, you can put in a "4-in-3" dock that will allow you to mount 4 more 3.5" SATA disks in the 3 5.25" bays.

-snip-

Windows 7 64bit Home premium is limited to one CPU socket; Pro and Ultimate are limited to two CPU sockets.

That Z800 is a pretty sweet deal though.

If you don't have a place you can put this server, where it's away from everyone else, DO NOT get the 2950.  They are LOUD, even at idle.  Also, later on in the thread you mentioned possibly using Windows 7 on the 2950 -- don't, as Windows 7 is limited to one CPU, so the second will go unused.  You'll need to use Windows server, some form of Linux / BSD, or a hypervisor (MS's Hyper-V, VMware ESXi, or XenServer).

If you want a Xeon processor in a system that's fairly cheap *AND QUIET*, go for an HP Z800.  There is one on eBay (as of this writing) for $415 with free shipping : http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Z800-Workstation-1x-HC-Xeon-X5675-3-06GHz-8GB-500GB-w-Win-7-Quadro-2000-/371451628683?hash=item567c3e0c8b

It's an excellent system for use with ESXi and pcipassthrough (I have this same system).  I have a WHS2011 VM, and I've passed an eSATA controller (which I added), the onboard 6 port SAS/SATA controller, and a USB3 controller (which I also added).  This VM serves as my storage (5 1TB SATA HDDs with Stablebit Drivepool), Plex Media Server, and Sonarr / sabnzb.  I also have a 'gaming' VM set up, which has a Radeon 6970 and a pair of USB ports attached, and a third VM with just a video card connected to a projector for tabletop RPG gaming.

It's an excellent setup, can hold four 3.5" SAS/SATA HDD's internally, and if you remove the CD-ROM, you can put in a "4-in-3" dock that will allow you to mount 4 more 3.5" SATA disks in the 3 5.25" bays.

looks great! definitely will consider :) ty

yoyo, for my birthday I decided I want to build a basic server for home use. It will most likely be a NAS or FTP server, but it is undecided. I pulled up some parts on ebay, what do you guys think?

- FX-6100 used $60 

- GA-78LMT-USB3 $54

- 2x OCZ 1333Mhz 4GB (8GB) $60 ($30 each)

- Cooler Master T4  $18

- CX-430 $40

- Rosewill FBM-02 $30

- Random ATI Card for output $5

Storage:

The total puts me at around $530, give or take a few dollars.

PLEASE READ BEFORE READING:

- AM3+ is terrible for gaming sure, but the FX-6100 is still a good processor for the price and will handle NAS fine

- 78LMT-USB3 is nothing special, is simply micro-atx

- as mentioned above, I want an micro-atx build

- old xeons are a better value, but they are usually standard atx

- cx-430 sucks, but it is cheap and fine for light workloads

Feel free to recommend a different CPU + mobo combo, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

(Sorry for no PCP, it's ebay sooo.....)

if you are just using this for FTP/File server then change the config. get a ~10w CPU, save a bundle on Power. My entire fileserver uses about 70w of power will all the drives spinning (N54L + 4x 6tb REDs). I can leave it running 24/7. you build will use 95w for just the CPU.

You don't need the dedicated GPU, you mobo has onboard.