MX Stabilizers VS Costar

WunderWuffle

What are your opinions on MX stabilizers that are on either sides of the longer keys? I've only used Costar type keyboards, but when I want to remove the space bar or other longer keys, those are a pain in the ass to remove.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

What are your opinions on MX stabilizers that are on either sides of the longer keys? I've only used Costar type keyboards, but when I want to remove the space bar or other longer keys, those are a pain in the ass to remove.

the secret is to pull the keycaps off the keyboard. o.0

No, but seriously, just garb it with a key cap remover in the middle and try to pull it out evenly. alternatively you can pull it off pretty easily by just grabing it from beneth

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

the secret is to pull the keycaps off the keyboard. o.0

No, but seriously, just garb it with a key cap remover in the middle and try to pull it out evenly. alternatively you can pull it off pretty easily by just grabing it from beneth

But the metal bar under the keys make it scary to remove, because I dont want to break the key caps.

EDIT: Putting the space bar on is also a pita too...

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

This should help with removing Costar-stabilized keycaps.

I've only used Costar stabilizers too, but supposedly they feel nicer of the two. The downside is the potential squeaking if they ever need more lube.

As someone who owns a KB with Costar stabs and Cherry Stabs, Costar feels more " even ". My spacebar feels about the same weight as my other keys and have the same amount of tactile-ness(with Costar stabs). Though on my Ducky Shine 2 (I heard that DS3 has improved Cherry stabs) the keys with stabs feel a little mushier and they're heavier than the rest. I can't give a direct comparison because my Ducky have browns and my QFR has blues. I prefer Costar stabs but they interfere with LEDs a little more since the LED wire has the tendency to snag on Costar stabs, but I am also that type of person that prefers to have blank key caps rather than text so backlights are useless to me.

This should help with removing Costar-stabilized keycaps.

I've only used Costar stabilizers too, but supposedly they feel nicer of the two. The downside is the potential squeaking if they ever need more lube.

That link was so helpful.

I had only ever used Costar stabilizers up until I got my Ducky Shine 3 last week and, despite all the chatter about Costars being superior to the Cherry stabilizers, I found myself immediately partial to the Cherry stabilizers. I find my keycaps better balanced (i.e., no wobble) and they are, indeed, easier to remove.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

I guess this is all personal preference?

I guess this is all personal preference?

I'd say so, just like some prefer blue over brown, or vice versa......same goes with Cherry stabilizers vs Costar stabilizer. My Filco MJ Ninja's have Costar stabilizer while my Ducky's have Cherry, it is true that Cherry stabilizer would feel a tad mushy against the Costar, but.......well, I have nothing against it, feels fine to me.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

• 10 months later...

interesting.

my Corsair K70 large keys felt weird. further research revealed that it uses cherry stabz.

my previous mech keyboards used costar stabs.

the cherry stabz annoy me so much that im selling my k70.

the costar stabs a nosier, creating a tink tink sound but feel more consistent with the smaller keys.

MX stabilizers are the best without a doubt. They feel much sturdier and durable than costar and you don't have to deal with those stupid, small connectors that never want to stay in place long enough for you to put the key cap back on.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

Costar can really uncooperative sometimes and can really drive me insane  :(

I prefer the Cherry alternative now, maybe some aren't as good but the ones in the Ducky Shine 3 feel very smooth and even throughout the key.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I've used both and if I didn't know the keyboards used different stabilizers I wouldnt know they were different.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

If my old g710+ didn't have one dodgy stabiliser I wouldn't have known MX stabilisers were a thing until this thread.