BeQuiet SW2 PWM or 3 pin version

Metro

Hello

I have noticed there seems to be a noise difference compared to the PWM and 3 pin version, is this why there are not many reviews of the PWM version or do you think they want to save money.

Also is there a big noise difference as specs normally make things look better

Also what is better to use the S or L mount

Thanks

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

PWM fans merely use a different method to determine fan speed.  Normal fans have their RPM controlled through voltage, PWM through the duration of pulses.

PWM-300x255.gif

What fans you should use will usually be determined by what the motherboard or your fan controller supports.  A word of warning though : just because your motherboard has headers with 4 pins, doesn't mean it supports PWM.  I found that out after buying 8 PWM fans.  Granted, you can still use voltage control on PWM fans, but it's a waste of money.

As for the S and L mounts, S stands for "short", and in that position the rubber ring around the fan will be level with the mount.  If you mount it like that on a flat panel, it will touch it.  L stands for "long", and that side is indeed a mm or so longer, meaning that the rubber ring will be a mm off the panel. 

Each of my SW2 fans that uses the rubber mounts (11 out of the 14 I have in the PC and NAS combined) is on the L setting because it means the fan is mounted on just the 4 rubber corners, reducing the chance of resonance.  

Testing fans with varying voltage is easier than pwm.

The noise difference shouldn't be huge but I think pwm can be quieter being able to go lower speeds.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.