I am brand new to PC building, but I am hoping to build a solid new gaming/video editing computer within the next few months.

Hey everyone,

I am really excited for the next few months because I will be trying to build my own PC to be used primarily for video games (on as high as graphics as possible and with minimal FPS drops).  i have heard that one of the biggest bottlenecks in regards to PC gaming performance comes from the grapics card and was wondering what graphics cards are the best for medium-high range gaming graphics within the 200-500$ range.  I've been told that the GTX 970 is a great mid range graphics card, but I am still unsure.  ANy help anyone could give me would be much appreciated.

Appreciatively,

HNathanMcGinnis

The GTX970 is good, but I would recommend looking at the R9 390, beats the 970 in some benchmarks with more than double the VRAM, for cheaper.

Hello.
My rig;
CPU: i5 4690K @ 3.7GhzRAM: HyperX Fury 8GB vengeance @ 1600MhzGPU: MSI R9 270 2GB, MOBO: MSI Z-97 SLI, PSU: Corsair 750M semi-modular 

Hey everyone,

I am really excited for the next few months because I will be trying to build my own PC to be used primarily for video games (on as high as graphics as possible and with minimal FPS drops).  i have heard that one of the biggest bottlenecks in regards to PC gaming performance comes from the grapics card and was wondering what graphics cards are the best for medium-high range gaming graphics within the 200-500$ range.  I've been told that the GTX 970 is a great mid range graphics card, but I am still unsure.  ANy help anyone could give me would be much appreciated.

Appreciatively,

HNathanMcGinnis

Welcome!

The GTX 970 is a very good card but it is rather outclassed now by the R9 390X and matched by the R9 390. They can be found for the same price or even less in some areas and make for a solid choice.

Of course a GPU is only as good as the hardware around it, so what else are you planning on using in your new system?

Also please remember to follow your posts!

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

As a Nivida fanboy I shall defend the 970, and hate the R9 390x

TheGrim123321

CPU: I3-4170Cooler: Hyper TX3Mobo:Biostar B85MGMemory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GBStorage: Barracuda 500GBGPU: Zotac GTX660Case: Fractal 1100PSU: Evga 500WMonitors: FHX2153L 21.5"│V193WEJb 19"Keyboard/Mouse: CMStorm DevastorAudio: MonoPrice 8323Microphone: BlueYeti BlackoutOS: MSX(Win10) Quote me or @TheGrim123321 to get my attention.

Go with the R9 390.

but sometimes you can get a 980 (non-ti) on sale.

(Read my sig)

If you can spare $50, go get a R9 Fury, beats the 980 in the majority of benchmarks and when OCed, also beats most OC 980s.

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //

Thank you all for these great recomnedations!  I am gonna go through all of them so far and see which one best fits my needs so far, but again thank you all for the help and if there are any more extra suggestions anyone might have please feel free to let me know.

Welcome!

The GTX 970 is a very good card but it is rather outclassed now by the R9 390X and matched by the R9 390. They can be found for the same price or even less in some areas and make for a solid choice.

Of course a GPU is only as good as the hardware around it, so what else are you planning on using in your new system?

Also please remember to follow your posts!

I'm thinking of going with an i5 or i7 intel 4 core processor.  I am gonna try for an ssd and hdd for a faster system boot.(~250gig for the ssd and 2TB for the hdd for now).  I'm gonna go with 16gig of RAM for video editing, and with an aftermarket cpu cooler and at least an 80+ gold rating PSU (I'll try for platinum if i can afford it).  I'm also going to buy an Uniterruptable Power SUpply Unit to prevent power surges and power outages.  Thanks for you help! I appreciate it.

well

if your not on a budget

980Ti

Okay great, I'm gonna look into both of them. Thank you!

I'm thinking of going with an i5 or i7 intel 4 core processor. I am gonna try for an ssd and hdd for a faster system boot.(~250gig for the ssd and 2TB for the hdd for now). I'm gonna go with 16gig of RAM for video editing, and with an aftermarket cpu cooler and at least an 80+ gold rating PSU (I'll try for platinum if i can afford it). I'm also going to buy an Uniterruptable Power SUpply Unit to prevent power surges and power outages. Thanks for you help! I appreciate it.

An i5 like the 4690k or 6600k are excellent in a gaming oriented setup. An i7 4790k or 6700k are excellent for a flexible powerhouse that can handle anything. An alternative to the i7 is the Xeon 1231v3 which is basically a hyperthreaded locked i5 with no iGPU. Saves on cost.

If the sky is the limit there is always the X99 platform too.

For your PSU a gold rated unit like the Seasonic G series is more than enough. There is a PSU white list available in the Cases and PSU sub forum with a good ranking system in place. You should take a look at it for suggestions.

A side note for motherboards: performance wise they are all very similar. Feature set and aesthetics are what differentiate them these days. For instance in order to overclock a K series cpu you need a Z series board. So Z97 for 4690k/4790k and Z170 for 6600k/6700k.

Your motherboard choice will come down to things like whether or not you need an M2 port, USB 3.1c, SLI or Crossfire (or both), brand preference and of course looks.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

As a Nivida fanboy I shall defend the 970, and hate the R9 390x

REPTILIANS ARE TAKING OVER THE FOURM

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

REPTILIANS ARE TAKING OVER THE FOURM

Fucking Reptilians

TheGrim123321

CPU: I3-4170Cooler: Hyper TX3Mobo:Biostar B85MGMemory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GBStorage: Barracuda 500GBGPU: Zotac GTX660Case: Fractal 1100PSU: Evga 500WMonitors: FHX2153L 21.5"│V193WEJb 19"Keyboard/Mouse: CMStorm DevastorAudio: MonoPrice 8323Microphone: BlueYeti BlackoutOS: MSX(Win10) Quote me or @TheGrim123321 to get my attention.

An i5 like the 4690k or 6600k are excellent in a gaming oriented setup. An i7 4790k or 6700k are excellent for a flexible powerhouse that can handle anything. An alternative to the i7 is the Xeon 1231v3 which is basically a hyperthreaded locked i5 with no iGPU. Saves on cost.

If the sky is the limit there is always the X99 platform too.

For your PSU a gold rated unit like the Seasonic G series is more than enough. There is a PSU white list available in the Cases and PSU sub forum with a good ranking system in place. You should take a look at it for suggestions.

A side note for motherboards: performance wise they are all very similar. Feature set and aesthetics are what differentiate them these days. For instance in order to overclock a K series cpu you need a Z series board. So Z97 for 4690k/4790k and Z170 for 6600k/6700k.

Your motherboard choice will come down to things like whether or not you need an M2 port, USB 3.1c, SLI or Crossfire (or both), brand preference and of course looks.

Okay great! This is really fantastic information!  I really am super appreciative.  This is awesome! I'm pumped for this build :)