Headphones under the 500$ range similar to Sennhesier HD 598'S

JimmieJongers

Hey guys, I have a max budget of under 500 dollars for a new pair of earphones, I prefer them open back and with a sound signature very similar to my Sennhesier HD 598'S just more refined, some people state that the 650's are exactly so and the 700's are a whole different beast. I was looking at buying either of the following

Sennheiser HD 700's 

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-700-Headphone-Black/dp/B0070U8KSM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1443471091&sr=1-1&keywords=Sennheiser+HD+700

Sennheiser HD 650's 

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Professional-Headphone/dp/B00018MSNI/ref=pd_sim_23_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=1S0ZR37YPBGVDSC86XPY

Hifiman HE 500's 

http://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-HE400i-Full-size-Magnetic-Headphones/dp/B00MULH672/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1443470960&sr=1-5&keywords=hifiman+he+500

I don't have that much experience with Hifiman but I heard that the HE 500's are really good earphones and have a similar more refined sound signature. Can you guys please help me make a decision for me?

Thanks fam

dank meme for thou troubles

post-196302-0-55341200-1443471406.png

Check out my build babes  ;)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wyrr8d

I see you haven't mentioned 600s but they're essentially a clearer & more detailed 598 with a touch of extra necessary (IMO) low end.

Separation and detail are greater and they have a perfect amount of low end if you find the 598s lacking in that respect.

I own both

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

The HD700 is definitely wildly different. I would stick with the HD600 or HD650.

The HD700 is definitely wildly different. I would stick with the HD600 or HD650.

I'm in between the HD 600'S with a FiiO EO9K and a pair of HE 500's. I heard the 600's sound stage is crap but they are clear and really neutral. What is the major differences between those and the HE-500's.

I'm in between the HD 600'S with a FiiO EO9K and a pair of HE 500's. I heard the 600's sound stage is crap but they are clear and really neutral. What is the major differences between those and the HE-500's.

The HE-500's aren't exactly comparable to the HD600 even on sound quality alone and even ignoring that the HE-500 has a large soundstage and arguably as large as the K701's soundstage (I personally think the K701 has a soundstage that's only bested by the HD800's soundstage, and the HD800 has a ridiculously large soundstrage). I'd say that subjectively, I'd prefer the HE-500 for what it gives, as I find them more enjoyable than the HD600. Mind you, the HD600 is actually enjoyable, too. Its just that the HE-500 has this extra something that despite it not exactly comparable in neutrality compared to some of its peers, is actually preferable over even the likes of Audeze headphones. Sure, measurements will tell which one is actually neutral and clear, but sometimes the ones that have measurements that aren't close to that are actually more preferred over than the ones that are. 

I say try them both and be the judge of it yourself since all we can really give you is a written/verbal recommendation/opinion. But if you can't, I'd say that if you want something thats argued as the benchmark of clarity, go with the HD600 if you can ignore the lack of soundstage (its like... M50X soundstage... almost non-existent). If you want something thats considered fun, go with the HE-500. Another note on the 500's, though. Though comfort is subjective, there are many who have complained about the headband and earpads of the HE-500's being uncomfortable even short uses like 2 hours a day. You may want to extend you budget for MrSpeakers Alpha Pads and HD580/600/650 headband that you may need to sew or velcro on the headband. The HD600, for me, is comfortable, but I can't vouch for the comfort of the HE-500 since I never tried them.

The HE-500's aren't exactly comparable to the HD600 even on sound quality alone and even ignoring that the HE-500 has a large soundstage and arguably as large as the K701's soundstage (I personally think the K701 has a soundstage that's only bested by the HD800's soundstage, and the HD800 has a ridiculously large soundstrage). I'd say that subjectively, I'd prefer the HE-500 for what it gives, as I find them more enjoyable than the HD600. Mind you, the HD600 is actually enjoyable, too. Its just that the HE-500 has this extra something that despite it not exactly comparable in neutrality compared to some of its peers, is actually preferable over even the likes of Audeze headphones. Sure, measurements will tell which one is actually neutral and clear, but sometimes the ones that have measurements that aren't close to that are actually more preferred over than the ones that are. 

I say try them both and be the judge of it yourself since all we can really give you is a written/verbal recommendation/opinion. But if you can't, I'd say that if you want something thats argued as the benchmark of clarity, go with the HD600 if you can ignore the lack of soundstage (its like... M50X soundstage... almost non-existent). If you want something thats considered fun, go with the HE-500. Another note on the 500's, though. Though comfort is subjective, there are many who have complained about the headband and earpads of the HE-500's being uncomfortable even short uses like 2 hours a day. You may want to extend you budget for MrSpeakers Alpha Pads and HD580/600/650 headband that you may need to sew or velcro on the headband. The HD600, for me, is comfortable, but I can't vouch for the comfort of the HE-500 since I never tried them.

What about a pair of He- 400i's aren't they practically the same? All I'm really going for in a pair of headphones is a good soundstage, a flat sound so I can tweak the frequencies to how I like, and of course them being comfortable. Clearly the HD 600's have no soundstage but do the 650's replace that problem? This is also a one time decision, I need to buy a pair and stick with them for a while, I do gaming and listen to music so I feel like HE-400i's would suit my needs better, unless the the 650's are basically a pair of 600's just with a wider soundstage. So in short I'm in between the 650's (if they have a large soundstage) and HE-400i's

What about a pair of He- 400i's aren't they practically the same? All I'm really going for in a pair of headphones is a good soundstage, a flat sound so I can tweak the frequencies to how I like, and of course them being comfortable. Clearly the HD 600's have no soundstage but do the 650's replace that problem? This is also a one time decision, I need to buy a pair and stick with them for a while, I do gaming and listen to music so I feel like HE-400i's would suit my needs better, unless the the 650's are basically a pair of 600's just with a wider soundstage. So in short I'm in between the 650's (if they have a large soundstage) and HE-400i's

The 400i's are actually good, but not quite the same as the HE-500. The HD650 has a tad bit less clarity with a wider soundstage. At some point, I kind of wanna recommend you the Fidelio X2 and save the $200 and add that to your budget for a new headphone or something else you might like. The Fidelio X2 is quite loved by many and some have preferred it over the HD600 and the HD650 despite that its a tad less neutral and somewhat bassy, but still really neutral for what it is compared to the 600 and 650.

I honestly can't really vouch for the 400i, but the X2 is something I'd go for because its really sensitive and doesn't need an amp at all, plus with lots of people preferring the Fidelio X2... from Philips... a company that makes questionable appliances but somehow can't make a bad pair of headphones or in-ears... and rivals both the HD600 and the HD650, both in measurements and perceived sound. Well, I'd heavily consider that.

The 400i's are actually good, but not quite the same as the HE-500. The HD650 has a tad bit less clarity with a wider soundstage. At some point, I kind of wanna recommend you the Fidelio X2 and save the $200 and add that to your budget for a new headphone or something else you might like. The Fidelio X2 is quite loved by many and some have preferred it over the HD600 and the HD650 despite that its a tad less neutral and somewhat bassy, but still really neutral for what it is compared to the 600 and 650.

I honestly can't really vouch for the 400i, but the X2 is something I'd go for because its really sensitive and doesn't need an amp at all, plus with lots of people preferring the Fidelio X2... from Philips... a company that makes questionable appliances but somehow can't make a bad pair of headphones or in-ears... and rivals both the HD600 and the HD650, both in measurements and perceived sound. Well, I'd heavily consider that.

I've had those, they a great to use but to me they were a little to bassy and the mids and highs were muddy.

My choices are the following

Sennhesier HD 600- For great neutrality, but horrible sound-stage

Sennheiser HD 650 - Great sound-stage but not as clear

Hifiman He-400i - ?????

I'm doing a lot of gaming and listening to music so I don't really need anything insane, What is the He-400i's good at? If it has good mids and highs with a heavier low end including a wide sound-stage that is what I will go with, or any headphones with the likes of those things.

I've had those, they a great to use but to me they were a little to bassy and the mids and highs were muddy.

My choices are the following

Sennhesier HD 600- For great neutrality, but horrible sound-stage

Sennheiser HD 650 - Great sound-stage but not as clear

Hifiman He-400i - ?????

I'm doing a lot of gaming and listening to music so I don't really need anything insane, What is the He-400i's good at? If it has good mids and highs with a heavier low end including a wide sound-stage that is what I will go with, or any headphones with the likes of those things.

Well, I'm not sure. I wouldn't go to Headfi just to find out how big the HE-400i's soundstage is since that place seems to dislike measurements. I'd rather go with the tried and tested HE-500... then again, those cans are arguably unwearable. So, as much as I don't want to guess, but I guess the HE-400i would suit your needs.

Alright after months of research I've finally dwindled down my 2 headphone choices to a pair of either Sennheiser HD 650'S Or a pair of Hifiman Man HE-400i's. I currently have a pair of HD 598's which I love because of it's wide sound-stage and a great clear mid and high end with a less bassy low end, now they're great, but not perfect.

What I use earphones for is primarily gaming and music listening, and my ideal earphones are a nice neutral mix of extremely clear mids and highs and a not to bassy low end. Of course these earphones meet all the requirements for that but I need someone to make a decision and point out any flaws between the 2 of them and what advantages one has over the other. Also, if I do end up getting the HE-400i's then I would love for someone to link me a stereo extension cable that wont degrade the sound quality in anyway. Thank's so much for everything guys you've guided me here and now you need to give me advice on my decision

(Also will a Maximus VII Formula ROG Motherboard be able to drive those 2 headphones, it has a supposed Ohms rating of around 600 Ohms so can someone clarify?)

dank meme for thou travelers on thou long journey.

post-196302-0-99983600-1443573193.jpg

I built a friend a pc with that same motherboard. It has enough power for me to reach listenable volumes (with hd650), but my friend thought they were too quiet. The best amp dac combo for under $200 is the SMSL SD 793-II. It's a great little device that works wonderfully, and it has enough power to drive he-500s as well, so you'd be fine with it. Also, just about any audio cable will work just fine for audio quality, but if you were using the SMSL, the plug will be on your desk anyway.

I haven't heard the he400i, but the hd650 is more universally loved, and it's a great headphone. I would get the hd650, just because it's such a versatile headphone, and I don't think the 400i is as likeable for everyone.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

HD 650 mustard rayce  B)

09b2e28d02.png

21c57c0424.png

Maybe another option could be the Philips Fidelio X2? I can't include a graph of the same style for it, but these and more are all in Tyll's Data Sheets. It has the angled drivers of the 598, and generally the same curve with a bit more of a bass spike.

or is that too "low end" ...

HD 650 mustard rayce  B)

Maybe another option could be the Philips Fidelio X2? I can't include a graph of the same style for it, but these and more are all in Tyll's Data Sheets. It has the angled drivers of the 598, and generally the same curve with a bit more of a bass spike.

or is that too "low end" ...

The X2 curve looks pretty different from the HD family.

The X2 curve looks pretty different from the HD family.

The general downward slope looks the same to me

The general downward slope looks the same to me

I suppose.

HE-400S might be an option there.