How do you share your PC games?

IAmAndre

Hi,

My brother is about to get his new laptop. So far we've always been gaming on my gaming PC so I want to know if he'd have to buy again the games I already have. I've taken a look at Steam and Origin policies and they pretty much... suck. Steam allows you to share your whole library, and I don't know why I would want to do that since I have 50+ games and I play some while the rest haven't been installed yet, even though I bought them a couple years ago. Does it mean that for games like Call of Duty or NBA 2K we must own 2 copies if we want to play? We don't really need to play the same games at the same time so I'd be fine if he had his own Battlefield (Origin) account and plays online, while I'm playing another game.

So far the only solution I found is play on different platforms : he'd play my Origin games using my account while I'd be playing my Steam or Uplay games. I'm curious to know how you guys handle this.

Thanks

One person can use one account at a time, I think like you said Steam has a sharing feature but only one person can be using it at a time. He'll have to buy all the games he wants on his own account.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Log in on both Computer but you can only play once at a time, if you want to play together you need extra copies

One person can use one account at a time, I think like you said Steam has a sharing feature but only one person can be using it at a time. He'll have to buy all the games he wants on his own account.

Would it be possible for him to use his own account in some way? Basically I don't want my stats to be affected (he kinda sucks at some... ahem most games)

Would it be possible for him to use his own account in some way? Basically I don't want my stats to be affected (he kinda sucks at some... ahem most games)

nope you'd need another activated copy for that.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

when he use ur Account ? no

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

Yea, log in to your account on his laptop start a download on a game. Log out, log in to his then steam will say what to share and then voila.

Steve

Yea, log in to your account on his laptop start a download on a game. Log out, log in to his then steam will say what to share and then voila.

Do that but with Steam Family sharing. Probably your best bet without him affecting your stats or having to buy separate copies.

Or just tell him to buy the game he wants cheap on sites like G2A.

Yeah I like these solutions. We are sports fans in the family and it would really suck to have to purchase twice NBA 2K and FIFA at $60 each (for a total $240 without discounts). That could work for NBA 2K since it's available on Steam, but not for FIFA. I guess it's still better than nothing.

Yeah I like these solutions. We are sports fans in the family and it would really suck to have to purchase twice NBA 2K and FIFA at $60 each (for a total $240 without discounts). That could work for NBA 2K since it's available on Steam, but not for FIFA. I guess it's still better than nothing.

Have you looked on g2play and g2a?

Steve

Have you looked on g2play and g2a?

Yes, I know these websites. Even Steam and Humble Bundle have good deals.

Yes, I know these websites. Even Steam and Humble Bundle have good deals.

There's always Kinguin too.

and we will live such tragedy in perpetuity.

I have a quick question : I'm often able to launch Steam games without opening the Steam application (by clicking on the tile). Is Steam able to track me when I do that? Would it do the trick if I have my game installed on the computers? I'm also able to do that with Origin games.