AMP+DACs and audio interfaces?

FunkyFeatures

I am fairly new to the audio forum, so bare with me.

I am looking into some better audio, I currently have my Sennheiser G4me One (considering getting Beyerdynamic DT990Pro though, which is 250 ohm) hooked up to a Maximus VII Ranger motherboard.

From what I can tell, the Fiio E10/E10K is a good way to enter the Amp+dac market, however I have heard they have quite a few flaws.

Then, one of my friends started talking about audio interfaces, what is the difference between audio interfaces? I might also pick up a microphone, and would like some decent quality from it.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Care to explain what exactly you mean with "audio interface"? That's sounds like a really vacuous term.

E10K is probably not suited for a DT990, it lacks the power delivery.

Audio Interfaces like the Akai EIE/EIE pro.

My friend just said "Don't get a USB mic, go for a good audio interface instead" - I was wondering if one could get away with a decent audio interface for both headphones and microphone

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

I don't really see the need for an amp/DAC in this situation. An audio interface might be helpful if you're really serious about recording and plant to upgrade your microphones down the line. Otherwise a USB mic would be sufficient.

Audio interface is just a term. It is what is sounds like, there is not a specific class of device that is an audio interface.

E10K is probably not suited for a DT990, it lacks the power delivery.

Get the fuck out with this wrong, uninformed crap. I've had enough of this kind of shit.

Get the fuck out with this wrong, uninformed crap. I've had enough of this kind of shit.

Nah man, it's you who should "get the fuck out". All you do all day is insult every member on this forum whenever you feel like it. I care little if you're jaded as fuck, don't take it out on me.

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/27/parameters

250 ohm is well outside what is being recommended by FiiO. The DT990's aren't particularly efficient drivers (96db) either so i'm well inclined to think the E10K won't produce a massive amount of sound out of them. Now I don't have personal experience with it, granted, but saying it's uninformed and giving me that tone is well beyond reason.

Nah man, it's you who should "get the fuck out". All you do all day is insult every member on this forum whenever you feel like it. I care little if you're jaded as fuck, don't take it out on me.

250 ohm is well outside what is being recommended by FiiO. The DT990's aren't particularly efficient drivers (96db) either so i'm well inclined to think the E10K won't produce a massive amount of sound out of them. Now I don't have personal experience with it, granted, but saying it's uninformed and giving me that tone is well beyond reason.

Sure, he can be harsh, but he is (from what I have seen) always right

250 ohm?

ohms dont determine how hard it is to drive.

96db isnt that efficient, but will be fine with an amp, possibly even with onboard

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Lack of personal experience plus a naive reading of useless manufacturer specs counts as uninformed, I'd say.

Either way, plenty of people run the 250 ohm DT series cans from Beyerdynamic from the E10, E10K, or even less powerful sources such as onboard.

Sure, he can be harsh, but he is (from what I have seen) always right

Harsh is an understatement. I'm no special snowflake, but at some point you cross everyone's line.

Lack of personal experience plus a naive reading of useless manufacturer specs counts as uninformed, I'd say.

Well the personal experience is the K612 Pro's not getting enough volume out of my D1, and i'm not sure where the naive reading comes from. 96dB isn't very efficient and the E10K is not really designed for those types of cans. The fact it works is more coincidence and personal experience than a naïve reading of the specs.

Again, you should really tone it down a notch. The fact you need to tell 200 people each day to stop recommending the M50X's does not give you the right to belittle people like this.

Harsh is an understatement. I'm no special snowflake, but at some point you cross everyone's line.

Well the personal experience is the K612 Pro's not getting enough volume out of my D1, and i'm not sure where the naive reading comes from. 96dB isn't very efficient and the E10K is not really designed for those types of cans. The fact it works is more coincidence and personal experience than a naïve reading of the specs.

Again, you should really tone it down a notch. The fact you need to tell 200 people each day to stop recommending the M50X's does not give you the right to belittle people like this.

To go back on topic:

My specific need is for possibly getting either DT990Pro or HD598, a pair of speakers and some sort of XLR microphone.

What would be a good unit, being able to have 1 XLR input, one 3.5mm/quarter inch output, as well as 2x XLR outputs for speakers? 

Also, I am a complete noobie in terms of audio interfaces. If one was accidently gonna turn on +48V "Phantom power" to a unit that doesn't need it, would it harm/kill that unit?

The K612 is far less sensitive than the DT cans, so again, you lack experience with the products in question and also lack understanding of the specs you keep quoting. 96 dB should be 96 dB/mW, for example.

The K612 is far less sensitive than the DT cans, so again, you lack experience with the products in question and also lack understanding of the specs you keep quoting. 96 dB should be 96 dB/mW, for example.

Can we get on topic again and help me? I have no clue. Maybe point me towards some articles even?

To go back on topic:

My specific need is for possibly getting either DT990Pro or HD598, a pair of speakers and some sort of XLR microphone.

What would be a good unit, being able to have 1 XLR input, one 3.5mm/quarter inch output, as well as 2x XLR outputs for speakers?

Also, I am a complete noobie in terms of audio interfaces. If one was accidently gonna turn on +48V "Phantom power" to a unit that doesn't need it, would it harm/kill that unit?

There's actually not a lot of products that include XLR outputs until you stay spending some heavy dough. Do you specifically need those, or do you have quarter inch inputs also?

There's actually not a lot of products that include XLR outputs until you stay spending some heavy dough. Do you specifically need those, or do you have quarter inch inputs also?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Audio-BX5-D2-Speakers-Production/dp/B005F3H6Q8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443451506&sr=8-1&keywords=M+Audio+BX5 for speakers - heard xlr would be quite a bit better, but then again - audio myths or not?

My friend (as said earlier) wants me to get the Akai EIE, but I personally do not like the looks of it (looks like something I would immediately fry or something). It needs to be somewhat simple, and able to power those speakers, a pair of quarter inch headphones, and able to take an XLR mic - with the Akai EIE as the "standard" benchmark in terms of quality

http://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Audio-BX5-D2-Speakers-Production/dp/B005F3H6Q8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443451506&sr=8-1&keywords=M+Audio+BX5 for speakers - heard xlr would be quite a bit better, but then again - audio myths or not?

It's useful in a professional environment, but not completely necessary. Most studio monitors will have both balanced XLR and unbalanced TRS inputs. My rule of thumb is, if you don't KNOW you actually NEED it, you probably don't. All a balanced connection does is limit interference in an environment where there are many opportunities for it to occur (in a studio there are a lot of cables connecting a lot of devices).

It's useful in a professional environment, but not completely necessary. Most studio monitors will have both balanced XLR and unbalanced TRS inputs. My rule of thumb is, if you don't KNOW you actually NEED it, you probably don't. All a balanced connection does is limit interference in an environment where there are many opportunities for it to occur (in a studio there are a lot of cables connecting a lot of devices).

TRS is balanced. Scarlett 2i2 has such outputs.

TRS is balanced. Scarlett 2i2 has such outputs.

Ooooooh riiiight

My bad, I was obviously thinking just TS

So lets conclude I do not need XLR - great, but then I need 3 quarter inch outputs, as well as at least one XLR input for an XLR microphone (which one is undecided).

Again, with the Akai EIE as the sound benchmark, what would be a great alternative, I've been looking at Focusrite 2i4 and 2i2, with no clue what to look for.

So lets conclude I do not need XLR - great, but then I need 3 quarter inch outputs, as well as at least one XLR input for an XLR microphone (which one is undecided).

Again, with the Akai EIE as the sound benchmark, what would be a great alternative, I've been looking at Focusrite 2i4 and 2i2, with no clue what to look for.

As SSL pointed out, the 2i2 does indeed have balanced outputs despite being quarter inch jacks. May as well go with that, which is what I was going to recommend anyways. [emoji4]

If you want to save 50 bucks you could get the solo pro, but that limits your upgradability.

As SSL pointed out, the 2i2 does indeed have balanced outputs despite being quarter inch jacks. May as well go with that, which is what I was going to recommend anyways. [emoji4]

If you want to save 50 bucks you could get the solo pro, but that limits your upgradability.

How about the 2i4, I have no clue which is going to sound better, 2i4 or akai eie

How about the 2i4, I have no clue which is going to sound better, 2i4 or akai eie

They should perform equally when working properly, however there are quite a few negative reviews about the Akai, and they don't have any technical support to speak of.

The 2i4 simply has more outputs you probably don't need.

They should perform equally when working properly, however there are quite a few negative reviews about the Akai, and they don't have any technical support to speak of.

The 2i4 simply has more outputs you probably don't need.

To me it looks like it only has 2x quarter inch out, where would the third be located if I just so happen to have overseen it?

What is "Analogue Output Performance"?, it seems to be low (10 ohm), would it power a hungry 250 ohm driver and sound good?

To me it looks like it only has 2x quarter inch out, where would the third be located if I just so happen to have overseen it?

What is "Analogue Output Performance"?, it seems to be low (10 ohm), would it power a hungry 250 ohm driver and sound good?

The 2i4? It has 4 channels of output, plus the monitoring jack for headphones. It appears that the RCA and quarter inch jacks are tied together in channels 1 & 2, but you only get RCA for 3 & 4.

2i4-Front-and-Back.jpg

The output impedance is just another electrical aspect of amplifiers. Long story short, you want to try to have a headphone with around 8 times the impedance of the amp. You won't have to worry with the Beyerdynamic as it is made for this type of equipment.

According to the reviews I could find, the headphone output will be enough if you have a quiet listening environment. This comports with the listed specs of the output.

Otherwise you would need a more powerful headphone amplifier (or an audio interface with a more powerful amp).

According to the reviews I could find, the headphone output will be enough if you have a quiet listening environment. This comports with the listed specs of the output.

Otherwise you would need a more powerful headphone amplifier (or an audio interface with a more powerful amp).

Doing some more research, seems like most USB interfaces only do about 100-150 ohm.

I might just get the Scarlett 2i4 and get the 80 ohm version of the DT 990s, and then get an amp if I ever need it for future headphones

Doing some more research, seems like most USB interfaces only do about 100-150 ohm.

Not that it matters, but the main issue is the overall power output is limited. Lower impedance headphones will not necessarily get louder in all cases; the 32 ohm 990 would probably be fine.