Thoughts on apple's patent on the d plug?

So, that plug. What's with apple wanting to make everything propitiatory? I understood the lightning cable cause of the better transfer rate and reversibility but come on apple, a whole new pair of overpriced shitty beats or an adapter just to listen to drake? ( don't bash me fanboys I have a 5s) but honestly, I don't think anyone wants a whole new connector for 2 mm less of thickness on a phone. Hell, I wouldn't mind if phones were has thick as a nokia provided they had battery life that could actually last for more than a day. I absolutely despise apple and other phone manufacturers making phones thinner and thinner each year with a decrease in usability such as the increasing lack of sd card slots. What ever happened to function over form?  

needs more D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I've heard of a butt plug...

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I think this is just stupied... like WHY? I don't care if my phone is 6 or 7 mm thick. I don't give a crap

I think this is just stupied... like WHY? I don't care if my phone is 6 or 7 mm thick. I don't give a crap

I care. 7mm is clearly superior since it means better battery and smaller camera bump.

I have two feelings:

- I don't think there's any justification for not just using the existing 2,5mm standard instead. 

- Even thou it looks to be compatible with a a standard 3,5mm jack, the D-plug will likely get a bad contact on the flat side and bend and ruin the contacts in the jack if the plug is rotated while fully in.

I care. 7mm is clearly superior since it means better battery and smaller camera bump.

Right... i ment the other way. I prefer a bigger phone with a bigger battery

it's a patent, nothing more, nothing less. I don't give a shit until it's actually built and used.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

- I don't think there's any justification for not just using the existing 2,5mm standard instead. 

That's a good point, the 2.5mm jack is an existing standard in the same form as the 3.5mm and 1/4" jacks.

Additionally I'm not sure it will be compatible with 3.5mm jacks looking at this picture:

jack-2.png

it's a patent, nothing more, nothing less. I don't give a shit until it's actually built and used.

Another good point, they may not implement it anyway.

If Apple decide to go down this route it wouldn't be all that suprising given that they now have a big interest in selling overpriced headphones. Making more stuff to fit into their nice shiny ecosystem will only help their marketing; who wants to use other people's standards, yuk!

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

I think it's going to break a lot of cross compatibility and they're still gonna sell and Apple is going to think they can get away with even more crap like this and keep pushing their limits till people are buying "Apple Paper" which will be regular sheets of paper just a tiny bit larger so they wont be compatible with normal printers just because "Apple says so" :|

-Tony

SNIP

You're probably right. I assumed the contacts on the D-plug would be cross-wise like they are on the 3,5mm plug but they're actually more likely length-wise. Which would actually cause a short in a standard 3,5mm plug. Such an Apple thing to do. :D