My Internet bandwidth just dropped by ~75%

Hramyzn

Hello, I have an optical fiber connection (not Google Fiber) with a bandwidth of 35 Mb/s. When I first got it, I tested it on speedtest and got exactly the advertised speeds. But today, I decided to check it again and I got about 9 Mb/s. What could it be?

First of all, nobody can piggyback on my Wi-Fi, since I don't have a router and have no Wi-Fi at all. I use an UTP cable that goes directly into my laptop. Also, whenever I turn on my laptop, I have to log onto a broadband network with an username and password provided by the ISP.

inb4 isp throttling

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

ISP servers are down?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Check the ips's website for anything, but its most likely a temporary thing.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Check the ips's website for anything, but its most likely a temporary thing.

There isn't anything on their website. Is it possible for someone else to use my username and password if they also have the same provider (connected to the same infrastructure), since what the ISP gave me is pretty easy to guess. My username is my first and last names, and the password is "12345"...

There isn't anything on their website. Is it possible for someone else to use my username and password if they also have the same provider (connected to the same infrastructure), since what the ISP gave me is pretty easy to guess. My username is my first and last names, and the password is "12345"...

Any way of changing it? or do you have to stick with what you got?

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

It could also be your internet service provider that had a downtime and maybe got ddos'd 

I would call my telco / fiber service provider first of all, they can sometimes do line diagnostics over the phone lines.

Sometimes you can even do it automatically yourself with an automated call to their phone center, with telco anyways.

Distance & proper cable types are important.

Make sure everything is rated at over 35 MB/S, and nothing is frayed or snapped (broken).

Introduction to Fiber Optics in the LAN:

Chooser of the Slain

Any way of changing it? or do you have to stick with what you got?

I've already changed it (very easy, I did it on their website), but I was still connected to the network after that. After I disconnected from the network and tried to connect again, it required the new password that I've set. if someone is stealing my bandwidth, I guess I'll have to wait untill they turn off their PC.

I would call my telco / fiber service provider first of all, they can sometimes do line diagnostics over the phone lines.

Sometimes you can even do it automatically yourself with an automated call to their phone center, with telco anyways.

Distance & proper cable types are important.

Make sure everything is rated at over 35 MB/S, and nothing is frayed or snapped (broken).

If the problem persists tomorrow, I'm going to give them a call. As far as I can tell (I have some technical knowledge) the cables are pretty good (apart from the UTP cable, which is kinda messy and cut open at one place. But that shouldn't be a problem, since those are electrical signals, not optical). Also, thanks for the video, we never learned that much about fiber optics in school.

How exactly do you connect to this Fiber Optics?

Line from outside box enters house (basement/attic/closet) ->

runs thru walls to wall jack ->

runs into router/switch (may or may not have wifi if router) ->

runs into your computer using? 

a. fiber optic cable

b. 10 mb ethernet cable

Something is probably a bottleneck somewhere?

I highly doubt WiFi can draw down that much bandwidth.

Most data plans have 10GB/mo which I doubt most ppl use that much. (yes I know thats LTE not WiFi)

Chooser of the Slain

How exactly do you connect to this Fiber Optics?

Line from outside box enters house (basement/attic/closet) ->

runs thru walls to wall jack ->

runs into router/switch (may or may not have wifi if router) ->

runs into your computer using? 

a. fiber optic cable

b. 10 mb ethernet cable

Something is probably a bottleneck somewhere?

I highly doubt WiFi can draw down that much bandwidth.

Most data plans have 10GB/mo which I doubt most ppl use that much. (yes I know thats LTE not WiFi)

The problem somehow fixed itself after one of those (somewhat frequent, 3-5 times a day) 5 second long link failures. And after connecting to the broadband again, now I'm gettng 35 Mb/s.

To answer your question, there is a fiber optic cable coming into my apartment. That cable goes into some simple device (it doesn't even need a power source) and that device (which I suppose transforms optical signals into electric ones) is connected to a another device (which I believe is a modem) with a thin yellow cable, and that device is connected to my laptop using a UTP cable. I have no router at all.