Corsair CX750W

Khajiit Dealer
Go to solution Solved by Corsair Joseph,

1. Is there a good chance that my PSU will blow up and destroy my computer?

2. Is there a good chance my PSU will die?

3. Will this card cause my case (and PSU) to heat up more than my 2 660 Ti's?

It is highly unlikely that CX will die on you nor will it take out your system. Look, if the PSU is working fine, why change it? If for some odd reason it presented some issues (unlikely), let me know and I will personally handle and oversee your RMA process. 

So I'm getting an EVGA 980 Ti SuperClocked to replace my current 660 Ti SLI setup. I already have a Corsair CX750W in my rig. I got it a little over a month ago. I know it's not the best for Gaming and is supposed to operate at 30C but I have a few questions.

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

I highly recommend a good 650w PSU maybe from evga or seasonic

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

I highly recommend a good 650w PSU maybe from evga or seasonic

I'm only upgrading if there is impending doom, otherwise I'm sticking with this PSU as it has given me no problems.

You're welcome. The only one I missed was the last. It will run cooler.

Considering how my 660 Ti's haven't given my PSU a problem, what makes you think the 980 Ti will?

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

the 980 ti will run cooler than the 2 660s... but i would not spend 600+ on a gpu without upgrading the psu first, good luck

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

So I'm getting an EVGA 980 Ti SuperClocked to replace my current 660 Ti SLI setup. I already have a Corsair CX750W in my rig. I got it a little over a month ago. I know it's not the best for Gaming and is supposed to operate at 30C but I have a few questions.

1. Very unlikely
  2. What is wrong with it. 
  3. No it should be less due less power draw. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

the 980 ti will run cooler than the 2 660s... but i would not spend 600+ on a gpu without upgrading the drive first, good luck

The drive? Do you mean graphics drivers?

The drive? Do you mean graphics drivers?

dont mind me its 4 am... i mean psu

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

dont mind me its 4 am... i mean psu

I never really understood the hate for this PSU. It is extremely unlikely that the thing will die/take components with it, so why do people act like I need to replace it asap?

I never really understood the hate for this PSU. It is extremely unlikely that the thing will die/take components with it, so why do people act like I need to replace it asap?

its not made to handle the kind of load youre throwing at it, corsair even say it themselves its to be used for light loads like office work

plus the fact that you hear about them going out and taking other components with them all the time, there were atleast 3 in the past week

its not made to handle the kind of load youre throwing at it, corsair even say it themselves its to be used for light loads like office work

plus the fact that you hear about them going out and taking other components with them all the time, there were atleast 3 in the past week

Link to the computers going out?

I've used two CX PSUs on two gaming rigs. One of them is still alive, and the other was upgraded after three years. I've had no problems with either PSUs. I wouldn't trust a CX with a highly overclocked PC, but they are not as bad as people say they are.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

Mostly because they only read what other people are saying in the forum without any experience of their own. I had a CX600 with a 4690k and an r9 290 for a while. When my son starts gaming in his room, it gets up to 85 degrees in there. (Yes even with the AC on). People like to point out that is has a low temperature rating, but we didn't have any problems.

Since you have it already, my suggestion is to keep using it until the three year warranty expires. Then get something else. That's what I did. A warranty on a power supply is comforting.

"CX Series PC power supplies are an excellent choice for basic system builds and desktop PC computer upgrades. CX Series PSUs are available in a variety of power configurations, and include features that are normally found only on premium power supplies."

1 - that happened 4 times the last 2 weeks on the forum

2 - more likely than a good PSU

3 980 Ti will warm up your case quite a bit.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Mostly because they only read what other people are saying in the forum without any experience of their own. I had a CX600 with a 4690k and an r9 290 for a while. When my son starts gaming in his room, it gets up to 85 degrees in there. (Yes even with the AC on). People like to point out that is has a low temperature rating, but we didn't have any problems.

Since you have it already, my suggestion is to keep using it until the three year warranty expires. Then get something else. That's what I did. A warranty on a power supply is comforting.

Chinese primary capacitors, very low quality secondary capacitors, mediocre build quality with soldering mistakes, low temperature tolerance meaning the CX600 is actually a 400W unit when used above 30-35*C. You pay little, you get cheap products.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Chinese primary capacitors, very low quality secondary capacitors, mediocre build quality with soldering mistakes, low temperature tolerance meaning the CX600 is actually a 400W unit when used above 30-35*C. You pay little, you get cheap products.

The CX750M is by far the best in the CX series. It's a rebrand version of one of Corsair's earlier successful PSU models, unlike the CX600 and below. It handles ripple very well and doesn't fail to protect your components from power surges along with turning itself off when it overheats instead of taking down components or popping.

The CX750M is by far the best in the CX series. It's a rebrand version of one of Corsair's earlier successful PSU models, unlike the CX600 and below. It handles ripple very well and doesn't fail to protect your components from power surges along with turning itself off when it overheats instead of taking down components or popping.

@EllieThePurpleFuzzy had 2 CX750 die on her - lost an i7 3770 and a 7950. The GS were maginally better but still cheap and crap.

@EllieThePurpleFuzzy had 2 CX750 die on her - lost an i7 3770 and a 7950. The GS were maginally better but still cheap and crap.

When I look at customer reviews in various sites and compare them to reviews for premium PSU's I don't see much of a difference. The range for the CX750M from hundreds of customers is between 3.9-4.7/5. There's a chance of any PSU failing if you push it too far or live in the middle of the Sahara.

When I look at customer reviews in various sites and compare them to reviews for premium PSU's I don't see much of a difference. The range for the CX750M from hundreds of customers is between 4.3-4.7/5. There's a chance of any PSU failing if you push it too far or live in the middle of the Sahara.

The CX are bad and the positive reviews you see are from people using them as intended - for office PCs with USB printers, not for a gaming or anything above an i3 with an iGPU.

The CX are bad and the positive reviews you see are from people using them as intended - for office PCs with USB printers, not for a gaming or anything above an i3 with an iGPU.

I encourage you to look at what many people have said here: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/10269649906844494136?q=corsair+cx750m&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=svin&sa=X&ved=0CBsQvCRqFQoTCJq46Lz6isgCFQJWPgodtWIA0Q#reviews

Pros: Very decent price for power and performance/quality. More than enough power for a Gaming/power user PC.

Looks good, Almost fully modular with sleeved cables so it is easy to manage.

Reliable. That is why I go with a Corsair PSU in a Build.

Cons: None for me in over a year of use.

the CX series is Corsairs Entry Level PSU. If your going all out and overclocking your i7 4770k and R9 290X then a CX750M is a bit light for that type of use. But for Most gaming builds this is a good buy.

I encourage you to look at what many people have said here: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/10269649906844494136?q=corsair+cx750m&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=svin&sa=X&ved=0CBsQvCRqFQoTCJq46Lz6isgCFQJWPgodtWIA0Q#reviews

Pros: Very decent price for power and performance/quality. More than enough power for a Gaming/power user PC.

Looks good, Almost fully modular with sleeved cables so it is easy to manage.

Reliable. That is why I go with a Corsair PSU in a Build.

Cons: None for me in over a year of use.

the CX series is Corsairs Entry Level PSU. If your going all out and overclocking your i7 4770k and R9 290X then a CX750M is a bit light for that type of use. But for Most gaming builds this is a good buy.

How about you link some actual reviewers and not random people defending their purchase?

From HardOCP

"This unit’s current product placement is readily apparent from the outset as the build quality has issues, particularly noticeable since these are coming from a "name brand" and not a "no name" company. The 3 year warranty support is probably trying to tell us something as well. The unit is not very quiet, and the performance just falls flat as it can not complete testing."

Form TechPowerUp

• 3.3V rail's performance in Advanced Transient Response tests
  • Really low hold-up time (too small of a bulk capacitor)
  • Only two PCIe connectors
  • Would like it to have higher quality capacitors in the secondary side

"...the CapXon caps on the secondary side most likely won't keep their good performance if they work at above 40°C constantly, which I suspect to be the reason behind Corsair's conservative temperature range, at least for full continuous power output."

CapXon caps are extremely low quality and are one of the main reasons the CX is regarded as crap.

GTX 590 :D. my 7950 survived.

....just

but as said, my 7950 barely was working great with my dieing CX750M. yet changing to a EVGA G2 850W ....suddenly made it work totally fine.

also i can't believe people are defending a product that is known to not be of good quality, it's not a freaking graphics card or hard drive, it's a power supply....the freaking most important component in the WHOLE SYSTEM. if it's got bad marks against it or it's a risky product...DONT buy or recommend it. simple as.

Seasonic with their S12ii or XFX with their Proseries are by far much better options for the price. and if you are going to be using something that will require a 750W PSU such as a multiple graphic card setup. i'd be getting a PSU that has the quality to cope with the load (such as, EVGA's G2 and GS, XFX's XTR, Seasonic's G/SSR or Cooler Masters V Series for example) rather than something cheapo.

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD