Something about old tech

DragonTamer1

I bought an old Zenith Model A723 at an antique shop which was labeled as still working. After getting it home I plugged it in and started looking for a station. I did manage to find one but it didn't sound very good, none of the stations did. After using it for a bit it stopped working all together.

I took it to school and my professor was ecstatic to see something that uses tubes come into the classroom (the A723 was made in 1958). He brought in his tube tester and we found that out of the 8 tubes inside, three were no good and one was borderline. We replaced all four that were no good and now it sounds even better than most of the receivers in my house. The only ones that beat in in sound quality are more than $250 (don't know what the 723 was new). It now also has a very distinct smell coming from the tubes that I absolutely love. It's something that you just don't get from modern electronics.

There are still a few issues with the radio however, being nearly 60 years old, it's not surprising. There is a faint hum that sounds like it may be coming from the AC power input, probably a bad filter capacitor on the power supply. The AM receiver just doesn't work at all. It can pick up stations but it's not really amplifying the station that's coming in so it is incredibly faint. Something else that will need to be looked into.

untitled_by_dragon_tamer_10-d9aegdb.jpg

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

nice find.

something I like about old tech, especially automotive tech, is that they were pretty simple.  You open them up and what you see is what you get.

Just think if an EMP ever goes off you would still be able to listen to the radio!