a BADASS pc!.. from 2003.

allmighty_bob

i'm tired of trying for ages to get oldschool games to work on newer operating systems and hardware.

I'm seriously considering going on eBay and buying an athlon xp 3200+- the best gpu i can find from that era. a FULL gb of ram or something.  putting windows 98 or xp or something on it.

I want to be able to just put in my gazillionaire deluxe cd and play some of that sweet 16bit goodness. and then just switch to imperium galactica and play that. or dungeon keeper. or red alert. and the list goes on and on.

Without having to mess around to get them to work. There's allways easy fixes, but the easy fixes never work. so you do the hard fix. and it's just so tiresome.

I'm not sure what i'm going to do for a display though. there were those 4:5 flatscreens. if i could find that in 1600:1200 resolution for cheap i might get it.

So what do you guys and gals think? anyone interested in a build log if i go through with this?
And does anyone have any suggestions?

Why don't you use vms?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Why don't you use vms?

That doesn't sound fun. 

-snip-

That sounds pretty cool. Also finding a decent board (for old school overclocking - if you want) would probably be the hardest thing but it is definitely doable. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

finding a decent board (for old school overclocking - if you want) would probably be the hardest thing but it is definitely doable. 

I might. it would be awesome if i could find the parts, to bring this comp to Dreamhack. And bring a beefy, crappy CRT screen. i wouldn't mind just playing old games for a few days. i'm mostly there for the esports and stuff anyways. Never overclocked anything when i was younger. But shouldn't be hard. 

Can't be that much different from hov oc'ing is done nowadays right?

Try something out, stresstest until it crashes and dial it back abit.

Why don't you use vms?

Lcsiboe.jpg

This is my tv-bench. it would be really cool to have a desk for oldschool pc games aswell. Also virtual machines doesn't fix all the problems.

+it kinda robs you from building a ''new'' computer. which is allways fun.

This build will prolly be below 200$ if i decide to do it. 

I prolly will do it when i think about it. i got the idea, and i've been excited about it since it came to mind.

Use an X2 CPU (Dualcore) as some emulators/games will be only single threaded,  but others will get a nice boost, PLUS multitasking is greatly improved.

For a better balanced system.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Use an X2 CPU (Dualcore)

Yeah but it's x86-64 based cpu. and i want to avoid that. as they can't run 16bit stuff natively. only 32 and 64.

All the games i will play on this will be pre-2000. 

the most powerhungry game i will play on it will propably be something like age of empires 2, or heroes of might and magic 3.

I might even go all out and get one of those ball-style ps2 mice for the genuine feel :D

I might. it would be awesome if i could find the parts, to bring this comp to Dreamhack. And bring a beefy, crappy CRT screen. i wouldn't mind just playing old games for a few days. i'm mostly there for the esports and stuff anyways. Never overclocked anything when i was younger. But shouldn't be hard. 

Can't be that much different from hov oc'ing is done nowadays right?

Try something out, stresstest until it crashes and dial it back abit.

This is my tv-bench. it would be really cool to have a desk for oldschool pc games aswell. Also virtual machines doesn't fix all the problems.

+it kinda robs you from building a ''new'' computer. which is allways fun.

This build will prolly be below 200$ if i decide to do it. 

I prolly will do it when i think about it. i got the idea, and i've been excited about it since it came to mind.

sure, vms aren't as fun, it's just that it's a pretty simple and cheap solution that you could try before spending money on something else. If you do it for the fun of it though, go right ahead.

old school oc was directly on the fsb for the most part, there weren't a lot of cpus with unlocked multipliers (if any)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*