Good headphones ($200-300)?

jacoblab1

I'm trying to pick out some new headphones to go with my xonar essence stx when I get it. I've been looking at the sennheiser PC 350 Special edition, because they look quite comfortable, should have good sound, and are closed headphones. I currently have a blue yeti mic, and it tends to pick up lots of noise, and I heard that open headphones can often leak lots of sound, and since I make youtube videos it would be bad to hear the game sound twice. 

If there are some open headphones that don't leak much sound I'll consider them too. 

So yeah, I'm looking for headphones (don't need a mic/modmic) that will have great sound, won't leak too much sound, and are comfortable (good looks are also a plus).

I can spend up to $300 on them, and can stretch the budget a bit.

Thanks in advance!

4930k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB Corsair Vengance Pro 2133Mhz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black edition - 780Ti Classified SLI watercooled

Samsung EVO 1TB SDD - 2x 3TB Seagate barracuda - AX1200i - Corsair 900D

Corsair K70 brown - Razer Mamba - X-Star 2710 @ 120hz - Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250Ohm

Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 250ohm 

-comfortable

-closed, so dont leak sound

-sound gooood ( they are a bit bassheavy, but if you really dont like it you could change the EQ in STX but thats your preference )

-they cost around 150 euros so around that in dollars 

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I'm trying to pick out some new headphones to go with my xonar essence stx when I get it. I've been looking at the sennheiser PC 350 Special edition, because they look quite comfortable, should have good sound, and are closed headphones. I currently have a blue yeti mic, and it tends to pick up lots of noise, and I heard that open headphones can often leak lots of sound, and since I make youtube videos it would be bad to hear the game sound twice. 

If there are some open headphones that don't leak much sound I'll consider them too. 

So yeah, I'm looking for headphones (don't need a mic/modmic) that will have great sound, won't leak too much sound, and are comfortable (good looks are also a plus).

I can spend up to $300 on them, and can stretch the budget a bit.

Thanks in advance!

Custome One Pro's are awesome! Would be a great for the Essence STX and are totally within your budget!

Black Custom one pro

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Custom-One-Pro-Black/dp/B008XEYT48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376345098&sr=8-1&keywords=custom+one+pro

White Custom one pro interactive

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Custom-One-Pro-Interactive/dp/B00D8BP8H8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376345098&sr=8-2&keywords=custom+one+pro

Plus they are made in Germany. If that means anything to you.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Custome One Pro's are awesome! Would be a great for the Essence STX and are totally within your budget!

An impedance of at least 80 ohms is recommended for an STX, the Custom One Pro is 16 if i remember correctly so not a particularly great match.

Something like an AKG 612 pro may be a better option, semi open so won't leak much, not enough to cause a feedback loop i wouldn't have thought. Or possibly a Beyerdynamic DT880.

Headset

An impedance of at least 80 ohms is recommended for an STX, the Custom One Pro is 16 if i remember correctly so not a particularly great match.

Yeah, I'll second this.

Also, you shouldn't be listening to your headphones at speaker volumes, so open isn't as much of a problem with recording as people think. :)

Thanks for the responses! Would somehing like the beyerdynamic dt 880 premium 600ohm headphones be like the next level up? On amazon.com they are only $300 right now, I live in canada but have a PO box in the states so I could ship them there.

(http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-880-Premium-600-Headphones/dp/B0024NK35S/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1376363661&sr=1-3&keywords=Beyerdynamic+DT770+pro+600ohm)

EDIT: I'm going to be gaming with these headphones too btw, not just listening to music.

4930k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB Corsair Vengance Pro 2133Mhz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black edition - 780Ti Classified SLI watercooled

Samsung EVO 1TB SDD - 2x 3TB Seagate barracuda - AX1200i - Corsair 900D

Corsair K70 brown - Razer Mamba - X-Star 2710 @ 120hz - Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250Ohm

Thanks for the responses! Would somehing like the beyerdynamic dt 880 premium 600ohm headphones be like the next level up? On amazon.com they are only $300 right now, I live in canada but have a PO box in the states so I could ship them there.

(http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-880-Premium-600-Headphones/dp/B0024NK35S/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1376363661&sr=1-3&keywords=Beyerdynamic+DT770+pro+600ohm)

EDIT: I'm going to be gaming with these headphones too btw, not just listening to music.

Get those, but in the 250 ohm pro version and save a few bucks. Beyer tunes the different versions to sound more or less the same