Malware discovered on 39 apps in the Apple App Store

jos

Even then it is statistically irrelevant..

You think so? You think it's so statistically unlikely to acquire malware that AV, firewalls, UAC and sensible browsing habits are a waste of time on Windows?

So it means i can edit the code after apple check the code and slip in anything...

Yes and no, the source of the malware here seems to be the compiler used to compile the code into a working app, which supposedly is apple's own Xcode program, but when using a different compiler, like the shady version of Xcode in this case, the compiler adds some extra lines of code, which don't show up for the dev and neither for apple if they decompile a copy of it to check the code, keeping the malware hidden.

The only way to change this is to ensure that the shady Xcode version doesn't get used by dev's.

Then they have a major flaw in their methodology.

if i'm correct, then yes they do have a major flaw, although I doubt they suspected a shady Xcode version to insert malware while compiling code, it comes down to not using the tools that apple gives you acces to for free, which makes me wonder why those dev's didn't use the official Xcode compiler, since it's free anyway.(yes it is free as in costs you no money)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

if i'm correct, then yes they do have a major flaw, although I doubt they suspected a shady Xcode version to insert malware while compiling code, it comes down to not using the tools that apple gives you acces to for free, which makes me wonder why those dev's didn't use the official Xcode compiler, since it's free anyway.(yes it is free as in costs you no money)

It means just create a shady Xcode if you want to insert the virus.. but if you decode with original xcode, the virus will be present. so i do not think it is any different than slipping a code before compiling..

You think so? You think it's so statistically unlikely to acquire malware that AV, firewalls, UAC and sensible browsing habits are a waste of time on Windows?

yes.

I haven't used an AV since 2007. I always turn UAC off, its super annoying. Firewall.. I only touch it when I want to block a program from using the net.

and as far as "sensible browsing habbits" go, well.. I have adblock installed, which covers most malware on the web (most, not all though)

but always remember, most (70-80%?) of OS infections are caused by the user.

sort of like car accidents.

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

You mentioned "out of everything that's installable on iOS"..If we extrapolate this statement then what i told has to be true... It does not mean i am true, as i am well aware that i am not

It means just create a shady Xcode if you want to insert the virus.. but if you decode with original xcode, the virus will be present. so i do not think it is any different than slipping a code before compiling..

hmm that's a flaw in my logic there yeah, Don't know how apple checks code for apps, despite having Xcode installed and played around a bit with it, I never got to the point of sending in a application or truly creating one.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

"apple devices dont get viruses"

a. it isn't a virus

b. isn't even worth a news topic ... stuff that gets collected:

• Current time
  • Current infected app’s name
  • The app’s bundle identifier
  • Current device’s name and type
  • Current system’s language and country
  • Current device’s UUID
  • Network type

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

"Apple operating systems don't get viruses" - Famous last words

(yes, I know that malware isn't necessarily a virus. I just wanted to point and laugh at crApple fanbois)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Unlike android app store, where it's 39% :lol:

39 apps is very little tbh.​

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

According to Cult Of Mac the list of known infected apps has now grown to 77, including some very big names like Angry Birds 2.

WeChat

Didi Chuxing
Angry Birds 2
NetEase
Micro Channel
IFlyTek input
Railway 12306
The Kitchen
Card Safe
CITIC Bank move card space
China Unicom Mobile Office
High German map