Raid 0 after OS install?

evo85210
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

is it possible to set up raid 0 after i've already installed the OS?

forgot to set up raid before, i don't want to go thru all the program installs and updates.....

Hey there evo85210,

Do you want to put your OS drive in the RAID array or you are looking to configure an array with other two drives. 
If you want to put two other drives in a RAID0 array, simply navigate to Disk Management and set them up in a striped volume. It will format the drives, meaning the data will be deleted.
If you want your current OS drive in a RAID0 array, I'm afraid that you should either find a way to back up everything or clone, or simply do a fresh install everything. Configuring a RAID array formats all drives in it and thus wipes the data off of them. If you have a spare drive, you can clone your current one on it, configure the array and then clone back (if the application supports it). :)

Captain_WD.

forgot to set up raid before, i don't want to go thru all the program installs and updates.....

you may be able to create a disk image of your current os and the write that image to your raid configuration. Windows backup should be able to achieve this.

Backup your OS 
Config raid 
restore OS

or just wipe it clean and start again

its the only way

CPU : i7 5820k l MB : ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER/3.1 l RAM : 64GB l GPUs : GTX 970 l Case : Corsair 350D l SSD 2x250gb HDD 2x3tb Raid0 l CS750M PSU
CPU : i7 920 l MB : Gigabyte GA-Ex58-UD5 l RAM : 24 GB  l Case : CoolerMaster Silencio l 3x3TB Raid 5 l  Corsair VS650 | ESXI 5.5
Asus G551VW | i7 6700HQ | 32 GB | GTX 960M | 500 GB Samsung mSata | 1TB WD 

You can do Windows Software RAID if you really want to however I'd recommend you chuck the PC out of the nearest window before I'd recommend using Windows Software RAID.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

When you set up a RAID array you have to format the drives in the array, losing the data from them.

As some have suggested above you could backup your OS, set up the RAID array, then restore the OS onto the RAID volume.

I definitely recommend ReDo backup, but Windows backup will also work for this:

http://redobackup.org/

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7702/restoring-windows-7-from-an-image-backup/

Best of luck :)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Hey there evo85210,

Do you want to put your OS drive in the RAID array or you are looking to configure an array with other two drives. 
If you want to put two other drives in a RAID0 array, simply navigate to Disk Management and set them up in a striped volume. It will format the drives, meaning the data will be deleted.
If you want your current OS drive in a RAID0 array, I'm afraid that you should either find a way to back up everything or clone, or simply do a fresh install everything. Configuring a RAID array formats all drives in it and thus wipes the data off of them. If you have a spare drive, you can clone your current one on it, configure the array and then clone back (if the application supports it). :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

So basically i need to format my drive one way or another if i want to use hardware raid
thanks for the help guys